Author Topic: OzSTOC Facebook GROUP Trial  (Read 8463 times)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
OzSTOC Facebook GROUP Trial
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:45:50 PM »
We are currently running a Facebook trial that I want to give you all a heads up on....

So we currently have a Facebook page that we use more as a notice board and have always referred questions back to the forum if possible as it was our intention not have 2 arms swinging with information in 2 places.

But times are changing...many people including OzSToc members want a more interactive experience on the go particularly with mobile devices.

Make no mistake.....the forum via our webpage is here to stay, all of the threads and particularly the information and bike specific technical threads are VERY important to maintain and keep secure into the future. But if the club was to be formed today...it would never be started as a Website based forum but ride on the coat tails of existing infrastructure like Facebook in the form of a Facebook Group (closed).

So we have started a FB Group called OzSTOC FB Group that is currently private and we have added just 15 OzSTOC members who are regular FB users to run a trial....we are adding topics, pics, existing RTE info to use the function reminder side of FB and gather the data from FB on the  groups FB experience to see how and IF it will fill a void.

I completely understand there are members who don't and won't use Facebook.....UNDERSTOOD  ;-*

But we have prospective and current members who don't use the forum but do use Facebook daily.....

Once we have some proof of concept we "may" take the FB Group to the next stage and turn to a closed group where a person requests to join or can be forwarded a "Join us" link

With the more recent changes to FB and Group settings to link threads to and from the forum...... it is worth a play
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: OzSTOC Facebook GROUP Trial
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:23 AM »
We used to have two Facebook pages. The one currently running and one under groups which is still there but closed by Graham. The same as what you have just opened.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzSTOC/
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
Alan you are correct, the other Group was started by someone else years ago, still not sure who, they handed me the admin of it, I just removed everyone at the time, and left, didnt even know it was still there, must have an old account in it or something.

Facebook works like a website and a forum, the actual front page of the website is very much like a normal facebook page (I will use AuStrom the V-Strom Group as an example):

So we have setup Austrom (Aussie V-Strom Owners) Website looks like this: http://www.austromriders.com.au/ so no forum, with basic info on it who we are, and is the website face of who they are and how to find them

We then have our Facebook PAGE which we use in Facebook land for finding people to join the group, it is totally viewable to everyone but works just like the OzSTOC facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/austromriders/

We then get to the Facebook Discussion GROUP which works just like the forum, but is facebook based, it is a closed group, so unless you are a member you can't view anything inside of it, also like forums you have to apply to join, there are a couple of questions you must answer to verify that you are a real person, and that you have an interest in being part of the show: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AuStrom/

In the last 28 days AuStrom has had 345 posts, 4,250 comments, 6,958 likes.
673 members of our 731 interacted with the group in some way.
Sunday is the most active day, 8pm is the busiest time.
The top post with 170 comments, 175 likes, and 536 views.
We approved 46 new members, declined 88, and blocked 19

it is all very secure, your privacy levels are about the same as a forum, all comes down to your settings on your actual account, just like a forum would.

the part that got us doing this the facebook group rather than the forum was the fact that it is quick, simple, zero cost, you can upload images, video, files without having to use a 3rd party, cast live video,

I use Facebook as the major marketing tool for Hip Pocket, the work they have done around becoming a user friendly, safe, interactive company is quiet amazing.

it is not perfect but nothing is, this is an experiment to see if it might work, and i 100% agree with chris is that the forum is important, i still refer to it when i get ST questions from people and i do read it daily.

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
In actual real life application how would it be to stream realtime video at an OzSTOC event to to the group ??

To watch or comment all you need to do is have a FB account and join the OzSTOC Group page  :think1

Imagine sitting back and watching the award presentations at National Rally  :think1

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
In actual real life application how would it be to stream realtime video at an OzSTOC event to to the group ??

All you need to do is a tap of a button and you can live stream its really simple to do.

members would simply sit back with a  :popcorn :popcorn and a  :beer and good to go
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »
RTEs as events are a great idea. We have one at the moment for johnnyYTED at Redcliffe Coffe Club and those interested just have to click a button. Tree event counts those 'going', 'maybe' 'interested' or 'not going'.

Makes it much easier for booking venues.

As of this morning I know of 3 going and 7 invited.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline A2Z

• Horsley, NSW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
I use Facebook every day and I for one, am glad to hear that OzSTOC will be more active on FB. Subjects such as news & events, RTE's, ride reports, sharing of pictures and videos etc, can be more easily shared and accessed by many on FB. However, although I struggled at first to navigate my way around the website forum, I would hate to see it go.  I love the way that information on the website forum is categorized not only between 1100's and 1300's, but also in regard to subject matters. It makes for easy referencing on different technical matters....for years to come.  So I'm in full support of Chris's suggestion of keeping the 2 forums alive and working with each other.  For example, technical questions or product information raised on FB, can be referred back to the website forum, while social interaction can be carried out on FB.
Red, loud, rowdy, and proud.

I don't want a pickle...I just wanna ride my motorcikle!

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
I'm a Luddite.  Farcebook gives me the heeby-jeebies because I find it hard to navigate and difficult to find things again once you scroll away from them.
That, and the advertising and the shambles of input from every axe-grinder in cyberspace.
I do go there, because it's the village square, and to avoid it means you are ill-informed, but I hate the smell of sewerage.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
That, and the advertising and the shambles of input from every axe-grinder in cyberspace.
I do go there, because it's the village square, and to avoid it means you are ill-informed, but I hate the smell of sewerage.

that's facebook on the outside, and i can show you easily how to get rid of most of that, inside the closed group it will be commented on the same as the forum does :) Luckily i use it so much that my information is quite clear and easy to read, its all in the setup
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Ace

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
Hi Chris....can you just add me or do I have to request to join as usual with facebook?
The only down side I have seen through a couple of motorbike and off-road camper facebook v's forum sites I belong to is that, when new people join the facebook site, they start asking and posting lots of questions and adding some great tips and mods, which would be better placed within the forum context....it can be a bit frustrating at times...I like the "club" atmosphere" of forums rather than facebook, but we have to move with the time too I guess!
Chris
2001 Blue St1100 with all the fruit
VJMC member

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
The OzSTOC FB Group is a closed group....so to join you must answer a few questions including residing in Aust/NZ and once past these filters be  accepted by an Admin/Moderator.

The Admin/Moderator can assess the requesting persons FB account and habbits etc.....so this is a tighter process than we have now as on the forum we can only assess their IP address etc.

An Admin/Moderator can join another FB user to the group but even if a member of the group sends a joining invitation too another FB user the Admin/Mod still needs to vent and approve......

Bottom line we can weed the fools before they join and axe them if needed anyone who doesnt play by the simple respectful rules..... 

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
Alan you are correct, the other Group was started by someone else years ago, still not sure who, they handed me the admin of it, I just removed everyone at the time, and left, didnt even know it was still there, must have an old account in it or something.

Streak
I seem to remember you locked the page but any member could still access it so it's a secret group now. Looking at the link below it still shows 38 members. It seems that anyone can become the admin for it now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzSTOC/members/

I have trouble finding the Facebook page and generally only see it news feed when there's a post made on it. Going to the old group page was the only way I could access it as you left a link to the page when you locked the group.

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »
The OzSTOC FB Group is a closed group....so to join you must answer a few questions including residing in Aust/NZ and once past these filters be  accepted by an Admin/Moderator.

The Admin/Moderator can assess the requesting persons FB account and habbits etc.....

That's great, if you give us link to go to.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
The link will be passed out once the trial has proven its viable  :thumb
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »

Streak
I seem to remember you locked the page but any member could still access it so it's a secret group now. Looking at the link below it still shows 38 members. It seems that anyone can become the admin for it now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzSTOC/members/

I have trouble finding the Facebook page and generally only see it news feed when there's a post made on it. Going to the old group page was the only way I could access it as you left a link to the page when you locked the group.

alan can you add me to the group please mate, i thought it was dead and gone :) i have applied to join
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Ace

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
The link will be passed out once the trial has proven its viable  :thumb

:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
2001 Blue St1100 with all the fruit
VJMC member

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
So just to be clear....we have this group secret (FB Terminology not ours) while we assess and iron out the bugs to decide if this is for us as a group.

Once the decision is made and if we decide to proceed we will open the group as a closed group (FB terminology again) and you can
request to Join....if your already a Forum member and on Facebook your all sorted and good to go  :like

A closed FB group means we can accept members after they go through the sort & sieve with the admin/moderation team to keep the content as we allow on the forum....keep the riffraff out etc.

We have a total of 15 members using the group at the moment from a mixture of heavy FB users through me as an occasional user to one member who has never had facebook until today nor wanted  :nahnah We just weant to make sure this direction is right for the group....BE ASSURED the Forum will stay in place  :like

cheers

cheers
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: Streak

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Well I tried our face book page using NavGirls account  and posted about our trip we are currently on
One person was able to post a reply on how good it looked where we were . Then minutes later on the post appeared" message from  ostoc moderator " then the post disappeared. So I guess it was deleted.
I have no idea why ? And have no ideas by who.  Is this how the face book page   will work

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
Gee we hope not Pete. I remember your post and then noticed it disappeared. I thought you had removed it  :wink1
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
No Tony wasn't me   A warning thing (I don't no what to call it ) from ostoc Facebook moderator came up and I got to read the first word (which I don't remember what it was ) the whole thing just disappeared before my eyes
So I am guessing the moderator who ever that might be didn't like it and doesn't have to answer to any body or explain there actions but just rule how ever they see fit

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
Lets hope it was just a glitch Pete as I haven't heard of any other instances. Feel free to post it again Mate as it was good to see your travel posts  :thumbs
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802

Offline NavGirl20

• ST Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
I for one have been 'guilty' of posting on FB rather than the forum because FB is easier and more convenient especially when attempting to upload photos. I seem to have no end of trouble with photos and often simply cannot get them to post at all. 
I do see however that on the forum we have a user name pertinent to the OzStoc Club. Going across to FB will create some level of confusion if we are known by our forum name.
I can also see ( and I'm speaking from experience with other FB pages ) that you often have to trawl through endless useless unrelated posts to find what you're looking for. The OzStoc forum however has a thread for each discussion topic and is much more streamline and easier to navigate to relevant topics. 
These are just some observations and food for thought.

The following users thanked this post: Sicman, ST2UP

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
I look at it that the forum will be always be the traditional home of OzSTOC and where all the technical data should remain, facebook is more social and interactive, which i think is how they can/could blend, the forum name vs real name does not bother me to much, from what i have seen in the last 12 months forums vs social media it is almost a reality, I myself with 1,000's of posts here hardly post on here any more as facebook is quick simple and easy, i think there is real balance for both done and handled correctly.

Facebook also in the ladt 12 months has made massive changes to groups around search functionality, interaction, and making it is to control and keep clean.

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
With the new group page as with the original older one is the possibility of live person to person chat which can't take place on the forum. Taking into account that even on FB if the person you want to chat to is unavailable you can still send a message.

The horror of all horrors will be video chat!!!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
...... The horror of all horrors will be video chat!!!

I think that's called FaceTime.  That's what we used for the past 2 years to keep in touch with our daughter and son-in-law whilst they have been o/s for the past two years, and what we used to keep in touch with other family and friend whilst we were in the USA & CAN earlier this year.   Very, very handy it is.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better