Author Topic: What Camera to Buy? $250 Budget  (Read 7366 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
What Camera to Buy? $250 Budget
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
ok i have clearence to buy a camera for the bike, but i only have a budget of $250......Suggestions, advice, do's and dont's?

What should i look at?
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Re: What Camera to Buy? $250 Budget
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
The one on the right. It's the update to the one on the left. The one in the middle has the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Check out: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=4486.0

Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
I keep looking at the the Drift Ghost Action Camera

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/drift-ghost-action-camera

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
 I have the contour ROAM2......but would be having a serious look into the Drift ghost, it's getting the best reviews ATM.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
The Ghost, has an easy to use remote. makes life easy.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
Drift Ghost Streak!!  :thumbsup only way to go!!

Remote control strapped to the bars makes for easy use while underway, and there are many other features that the others just don't have!
Check out the quality of the pics I've posted very recently, (under Ride Report - A Run to Richmond) all taken at speeds up to, and over 100kph. Even shots taken directly into the sun are excellent.
Quality of the video is every bit as good as the still shots.

I'm a fussy bugger mate when it comes to quality of photos, and I really am very impressed with the Drift Ghost!! :grin

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:00:47 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
Hi Streak
I just bought a Bullet HD2 from Prospeedracing and used it on the Wall 2 Wall ride.
Not that I have another to compare with but the quality is great and it's also a 12 megapixel still camera.  It seems to record in 5 minute blocks or takes a still photo every 5 seconds.  I also bought 2 more for my sons to use on their dirt bikers and catamarans.
Takes a 32gig card which will be about 6 hours recording.  Remote control available as well, $29 I think.
$69 delivered, about $200 elsewhere.  Couldn't go past it.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »
Hey bluehonda, does this allow you to align the lens for side mounting?

Sent from somewhere using something on my phone :-)

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »
The camera is round, like a large bullet and you can rotate it in the different holders.
The control button is at the top so you can tell which way is up.
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
Looks good for the price Brad, but there are many features that the Ghost has that are not available on the others, including yours, but as I said, it looks good for the price. But we all know......we generally only get what we pay for! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
There are Roam2 cameras available in your price range, and I'm sure you've seen Diesel's.   Main downside is no ability to review videos,  and can't adjust the options without a computer, but it's compact, waterproof and well inside your price range.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
The camera is round, like a large bullet and you can rotate it in the different holders.
The control button is at the top so you can tell which way is up.

Without too much of a  :hijacked .. i called Troy this morning at ProSpeedRacing and ordered with remote control...  Overnight to Perth .. $130 ..   :runyay
Pezzz
FarRider # 730

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
Personally I was in the same boat and after doing considerable amount of research ended up buying a Polaroid SX100 (especially since it matches the colour of my bike & helmet) - just kidding.

The quality is close to the GoPro Black and has a feature it doesn't (self leveling) It also has movement dampening and can be used up to 10 feet below water.

The reason I picked this particular one was due to it's streamlined shape. I tried a few of the others strapped to my helmet (Drift and GoPro) and wasn't impressed with their drag effect or their weight. I don't even notice that the Polaroid is there.

No one is Australia (that I could find) sells them. Brought it from the US with a full extras pack including a 32 GIG high speed memory card for $200 all up, to my door. Arrived in 10 days and had it for two months with no complaints whatsoever.

A.

PS Contour company went belly up the week before I ordered the SX100. It was in my list of the top 4 I was considering.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:03:18 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »
I've never seen or even heard of this one before, it looks a neat little camera, does it have a remote control as the Drift Ghost does? I have my remote attached to my left handle bar and apart from being able to take videos or still shots by simply pressing the remote button, I can also change the mode from video, to still shots etc. without touching the camera, with a colour bar on the remote telling me which mode I'm in at the time, and I find that really helpful.

I have the camera attached to the front of my bike when taking still shots and attached to the top of my helmet when taking video as there's less road vibration on the helmet, and I prefer the video taken from higher up,  I'm not surprised that you noticed a drag effect with the Go Pro as it's not exactly aero dynamic...........but the Drift, I'm surprised that you felt drag from it, or noticed any difference in weight, I never have, I even find myself feeling with my hand occasionally to make sure it's still attached to the helmet. I don't do that so much now as I'm fairly confident it'll still be there!

The price of the Polaroid seems reasonable enough, provided it does everything that you want it to.

Good luck with it, and don't forget to post a few samples of your videos so we can all see how they look! :grin

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
The Polaroid is the same camera as the Ion Air Pro however it is $100 cheaper. As such it doesn't come with a remote however if you wanted that the Ion Air Pro Plus has a WiFi module added on the end which allows the video feed directly to your smart phone as well as stop/go/record/snapshot options. The Air Pro Plus is an extra $50 - So you can see it is then getting close to the price of a GoPro.

The Polaroid takes stills 16 MGP and creates a continuous video in two formats at the same time. 1 in full HD 1080p and another for use when uploaded direct to YouTube.
Battery life so far has been around 4hrs and to date I haven't been able to fill the memory card on a single battery cycle.

I'll post a video as soon as on back on the road ? The breakfast at Toowoomba.
Cheers,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
Battery life of 4 hours is very good, that's more than I get with the Drift Ghost, however I can have the Ghost connected up to the bikes battery via my Powerlet connection if I chose, so don't have to worry about battery life. I've since read a little about the Polaroid and there is one thing that would prevent me from buying one, other than not having a remote control. Other than changing between FD & FHD video mode, all other mode settings can only be made via the sofware interface when connected to a computer. That would make it somewhat difficult if you're on the road, which is where you're going to be when using it. I guess if you set it where you want it to be before you leave home then that's ok, but once you're out and about, then there's no changing it.

I believe the video quality is reasonably good so look forward to viewing your video when you post it. :grin

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
That Drift Ghost ticks all the boxes for me. So many times I have riden through or past something photoworthy but couldn't stop. The remote idea is great!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
The remote is really great Rodd......I know the Drift Ghost is more expensive, but you do get what you pay for! :thumbsup
I've always believed that................"quality remains long after price is forgotten" :grin

That Drift Ghost ticks all the boxes for me. So many times I have riden through or past something photoworthy but couldn't stop. The remote idea is great!

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
as requested;

ST1100 Morning Ride Toowoomba Range

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Good stuff............quality of the vid looks fine for a misty Toowoomba morn!! :grin

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
How long does battery last? Can you use while plugged in to power via usb? The charge circuit on my bullet died so looking for new camera.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pezzz
FarRider # 730

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
The camera has settled into a 3 hr battery life. You can't charge the battery whilst recording although all the other features are as stated.  Very happy with the quality and as usual the mic is pretty useless over 80 kph.
A.

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am looking for something that can go a bit longer by swapping out batteries or can be charged / used with bike power. Will probably look at contour roam 2 if I can find locally. Supplier of bullet is being really good. Even though they don't supply or use then any more he is trying to find a couple of units to send me to at least charge batteries in. The footage of the Polaroid looked great but the battery looks to be a deal breaker. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pezzz
FarRider # 730