Author Topic: Tyre puncture repairs 101 using various kits....  (Read 17421 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Tyre puncture repairs 101 using various kits....
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
We are probably all going to have to repair a roadside puncture (or wait for roadside assistance to tow your ST away).

Below are some of the popular methods and kits used these days.

It is good to practice using these kits in the comfort of your garage on an old tyre - because you can bet that when you have to do it for real out there - it'll be raining, dark and blowing like a hatfull! So better to not have to learn for the first time then!

Tyre Plugger kits...
Stop N Go Pocket Tire Plugger Demonstration

Tyre Worms...
Fixing punctured motorcycle tire

Twist n Go plugs.....
Motorcycle tyre repair - How to plug a bike tire

Slime type puncture prevention system....
Install Motorcycle Tire Protection System from Ride-On • J&P Cycles

Mini 12v air compressor...
Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator Demo

Co2 compressed air cylinders (jump to 3.30min)...
Gryyp Cargol Turn and Go Tubeless Tire Repair Kit Installation Video - Micro Kit + Cargol Inflate

Auto balancing tyre beads......
DynaBeads demo video

This has been a ST Community Service from your friendly OzSTOC Team!

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

The following users thanked this post: ppopeye

terrydj

Re: Tyre puncture repairs 101 using various kits....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
I use the worms and have for years. Always carry a Slime Compressor, and in it are the worms, fuzes and tyre guage, Under the seat in  the rear pod are the two tools that put the hole in and worm in.
A really good thing to have on the bike are long nose pliers so you can dig the nail/whatever out that caused the puncture. I've had worms in the tyre for 15000+ kays not a problem and bugger all air leaking out

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
Can anyone advise where  in Western Australia, I might be able obtain the WORMS tyre plugger kit as featured in the second video.
 Cheers winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
This is how it SHOULDN'T be done!!!

How to inflate a tyre with a can of WD-40

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
You should be able to pick up some in Repco, supercheap or your local 4x4 shop Winston. They are very popular with the off road croud.

Ordered and recieved one of these

http://www.tomcatdistribution.com.au/stop-and-go-tire-repair-kits?zenid=d75bb77990fb735ed991ed9afc3fc32c

simple to use (I hope), the worms can be hard to push in and are messy as they get their gooey sealant all over your hands.  Dont forget to get a small pump as well
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:28:38 PM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Just replaced the Cig lighter plug on my mini Slime pump with a powerlet (BMW) type plug. now can plug it into the socket on my left panel. With the pump and plugs under the seat, I'm almost guaranteed never to need it for my self. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
The worms are readily available from auto places. I haven't had to use them on a bike as yet, but have done a few car tyres with zero issues with pressure loss.  I have heard good and bad about the mushroom plug type, as it seems depending on where the hole is they are susceptible to the mushroom being cut by the tyre cords.  The kits where you insert and twist off the plug are interesting, but I don't have any practical or hearsay experince with them.  Anything is better than nothing in the middle of mowhere though.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
Ok you guys are going to have to show me all this stuff at the Meet.

I don't carry anything

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
You can get the worms anywhere, like Kmart Target, Supercheap, Repco. They strart from like $5.00 or so for just the worms to $15.00 and upwards for worms and a couple of the screwdriver things. One to make the hole and ream it out a bit and the other to put the worm in. Grab yourself a pair of long nose plies to get what caused the puncture out.

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
You can get the worms anywhere, like Kmart Target, Supercheap, Repco.
I guess there's the rub...I didn't know they were called worms until now

terrydj

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
I don't carry anything

Mate seen a bit of the stufff people carry to fix punctures and reckon I have it sorted cause I stole from what I thought was good.
First thing is the compressor, seen none better than the "Slime"
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/13764/ITEM/Slime-Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator.aspx
Now you need some worms and the screwdriver things, $5.00 gets you one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Emergency-Car-Auto-Bike-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Plug-Repair-Cement-Tool-Kit-/140669313670?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c08b6286
A tyre pressure guage, and get a cheap one for a couple of dollars that will fit in the "Slime"pouch with the worms. The dearer ones are only for smucks as their too easily left on the side of the road cause your all excited about getting the puncture fixed and just take off.  The  next stop is either a servo or home where you can check the tyre pressure with good gear :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:56:52 PM by terrydj »

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
I don't carry anything

Mate seen a bit of the stufff people carry to fix punctures and reckon I have it sorted cause I stole from what I thought was good.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/13764/ITEM/Slime-Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator.aspx
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Emergency-Car-Auto-Bike-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Plug-Repair-Cement-Tool-Kit-/140669313670?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c08b6286
A tyre pressure guage, and get a cheap one for a couple of dollars that will fit in the "Slime"pouch with the worms. The dearer ones are only for smucks as their too easily left on the side of the road cause your all excited about getting the puncture fixed and just take off.  The  next stop is either a servo or home where you can check the tyre pressure with good gear :thumbsupI'ma going to got check out those sites, now 

Dude, you're just a pocket full of good tips and tricks.
And here I was thinking if I ever got a puncture. I'd end up face down on the Bitumen anywhy and the tow truck would have to take my bike regardless... :D

Edit: Does all that stuff fit under the seat?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:04:09 PM by Marcus »

terrydj

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
I don't carry anything

A tyre pressure guage, and get a cheap one for a couple of dollars that will fit in the "Slime"pouch with the worms. The dearer ones are only for smucks as their too easily left on the side of the road cause your all excited about getting the puncture fixed and just take off.  The  next stop is either a servo or home where you can check the tyre pressure with good gear :thumbsupI'ma going to got check out those sites, now 

Dude, you're just a pocket full of good tips and tricks.
And here I was thinking if I ever got a puncture. I'd end up face down on the Bitumen anywhy and the tow truck would have to take my bike regardless... :D
Edit: Does all that stuff fit under the seat?

Mate first things first. With Tubeless tyres when you get a puncture in the front it just gets bloody hard to stear, and thats it unlees some FOOL of a ULYSSES Turd decides to put a tube in a tubeless tyre in the front of a BMW they just sold you so they could save a few dollars. "RESULT"a blowout in the front at over 200kph and ahhhhhh having to throw the bike away. Tube ended up the size of a squash ball???????
Punctures in the rear tyre who cares and at any speed don't care. Had me a few and never even knew I had em untill I stopped. On one trip to Adelaide and back, I had 3 punctures in the rear tyre, probably because we were way overloaded :rofl with all the gear on including a pillion, and not once did I know untill I stopped.
So if she's hard to steer its because it hasn't got enough air in the front, whether its got a flat or just needs air

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
Mate first things first. With Tubeless tyres when you get a puncture in the front it just gets bloody hard to stear,
Punctures in the rear tyre who cares and at any speed don't care. Had me a few and never even knew I had em untill I stopped.

Huh...who knew? never had a puncture in either car or bike...

Oh and stop laughing everyone else reading this, this just a preview of the stupid questions I'm going to bomb bard you all with in April
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:19:35 PM by Marcus »

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
 :wht11 py
I do  have some big fat worms in my vege gardens ..  >:() >:(). will they work
 :whistle :whistle :whistle

totally tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
I found a nail in my rear tyre this morning, as I was ready to go on a ride to a local bakery with some mates, and the tyre was as flat as a maggot.

I smugly pulled out my nice ans compact TyrePlier Kit with the little conical plugs, which I've carried for years and never needed, and followed the instructions.  "It's OK boys, I won't be a second"   The bloody plug could not be inserted into the hole in the tyre, even after reaming out the hole.  The insertion tool simply punched a hole in the tip of the plug.   :OldMan

Into the ute tool kit and pulled out the sticky string plugs, and the job was done in seconds.  Needless to say the TyrePlier kit will come out of the bike and go in that bottom drawer where the unwanted stuff resides, and I'll now carry a sticky string kit in the bike.

It was lucky that I've never had a puncture while on a remote road somewhere, as I would have been screwed.    This takes me back to Diesel's original post, where he suggests you do a practice run with your puncture kit in your shed, just to make sure it all works OK.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »
The Stopngo repair kit is dead easy to use

here is a how to do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53770433/FlatFix.PDF
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
From my experience on the FarRally, you really have to ream the hole very thoroughly and have gobs of rubber glue to lube the hole.  Then you will only get the sticky "rope" to go in if it isn't old.  I had to buy new ones which went in well.  The old ones just bunched up outside the hole.
What constitutes "old"?  Mine were around 6 years, so it might pay to buy a new pack of ropes every few years to have fresh ones ready for an emergency.  I found myself pacing outside the SuperCheap Auto store from 8:04 to 8:30 waiting for them to open when I really needed to be on the road completing the Rally.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
My "worm" repaired rear PR4GT was still loosing pressure, so I made some enquiries about getting it professionally patched with a mushroom plug from the inside.   All three dealers that I rang would not install a patch, as it was against tyre manufacturer's recommendation due to the speed and load under which they operate.    Each offered to either  fit a tube, which I was not prepared to do as another puncture would give me a rapid and potentially catastrophic rapid deflation, or take the tyre from the rim and let me negotiate a patch/repair with a nearby car tyre dealer.

Since the tyre had 10,500km on it, which is around half of the life I would normally get, and it was going to cost me to get it fixed no matter what option I took, I've replaced it with a new PR4GT for $285 fitted and balanced.

I'm happy to have a new tyre, but annoyed to loose 10,000km of life from my old one.     I've ordered a "Stop N Go" puncture repair kit, which looks like it gives the most positive repair to a simple puncture in the tread.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Its far easier to use than the gummy worms, you may even be able to replug the exisiting hole when the kit arrives.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
My "worm" repaired rear PR4GT was still loosing pressure

I had the same experience, so I put 8 ounces of sealant into the tyre which solved the leak.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
I can quite comfortably say with a great del CONFIDENCE that the twist and go are SHITE!

The worms are great.

the Super cheap Auto air pump for $70 is about to be put somewhere where the seller will not feel very comfortable about.

What recommendations are there for 12 volt pumps??
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
I have a heavier duty pump I carry, the small cigarette packet sized ones dont last, and will fail when you most need it.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
The 4x4 shops have some good quality types.

The following users thanked this post: spanner