Author Topic: Reserve suppy  (Read 3698 times)

Offline keel

• ST Legend
Reserve suppy
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
Hello everyone

I've read one of the previous post about the fuel tank capacity and the fact that the tank is in 2 sections.  Now what's confusing me is that the Honda manual calls this second tank the "Reserve Supply".

Does this mean there is a switch between tanks to flip over to the reserve?

I'm asking this because a couple of months ago I left the house and the gauge was reading 2 bar and within 1KM of my house it ran out of petrol.

Keel

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Reserve suppy
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »
No switch, there is no reserve as such, just a warning that there is about 5 litres left. On the 11oo, an orange light comes on.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline keel

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:49:55 PM »
Cheers Brock

In my mind a reserve tank suggested 2 different tanks with a switchover.

I think there might be something wrong with my gauge  as yesterday I filled up when it was showing 3 bars and I only managed to get 14lts into it.

I'm just going to set the trip switch and when it hits 450KM look for fuel.

Keel

Offline tding

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
The ST1300 has the fuel tank in two parts the main tank that you see and a sub tank under the seat. The two tanks are connected so that the fuel gravity feeds the reserve tank this is where the fuel pump is.
The fuel gauge sender is in the upper / main tank. When main tank is empty the last bar on the fuel gauge will blink indicating that you are now on reserve tank (approx 5lts). When less than 5lts (on reserve) the fuel consumption meter will automatically change to distance to empty but this is based on current fuel consumption so distance will change between up and down hill, I usually press the function (FCD/H) button once to change this to display the amount of fuel remaining (only available on reserve) volume is estimated from fuel consumption. less than 2lts left it stops counting.
More detail on pages 20/21 of owners manual .
 :blu13       

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
2 bars should give you up to 150km at normal operating temperature (and riding). When the fuel level is very low and you have had the battery disconnected, the computer can get quite confused and unreliable so this may have been the cause of your problem.
Remember also that a cold engine will use fuel at a lot higher rate than when it is up to operating temperature. I had a similar experience years ago when I arrived home with the gauge telling me I had more than 50km to empty, but the next morning I got about 100metres and it stopped :(.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
Yes,  flat batteries confuse the computer. Always a good idea to refuel soon after a flat battery to be sure.

Cheers,
Gary

Sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »
The ST1300 has the fuel tank in two parts the main tank that you see and a sub tank under the seat. The two tanks are connected so that the fuel gravity feeds the reserve tank this is where the fuel pump is.
The fuel gauge sender is in the upper / main tank. When main tank is empty the last bar on the fuel gauge will blink indicating that you are now on reserve tank (approx 5lts). When less than 5lts (on reserve) the fuel consumption meter will automatically change to distance to empty but this is based on current fuel consumption so distance will change between up and down hill, I usually press the function (FCD/H) button once to change this to display the amount of fuel remaining (only available on reserve) volume is estimated from fuel consumption. less than 2lts left it stops counting.
More detail on pages 20/21 of owners manual .

That's all good stuff.  I notice it quits the count-down around 35 km to run. 
Assuming that's at the 2 litre mark, and one litre is unusable (i.e. not available due to fuel pick-up height etc) then you can really only count on about 20 km left, so you can go from fear to increasing panic at that stage if you're out in the boonies.    :eek
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tding

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
I do not like the distance to empty as the the numbers fluctuate too much.
Also on one ride watching the liters count down, noticed the numbers reset.
down to 4lts reset count down from 5 to 3.5 then reset and count down to 3, and you do the math on a narrow winding road under an nasty storm not a good feeling.
not sure if the resets where from bumps or just enough fuel sloshing in main tank to lift float. was riding a little aggressively to beat the storm to next town to shelter.
Then with bike saying 3 lts left added most of the contents of a 5ltr jerry can ,on restarting still on reserve, to close to running out.   
 :blu13

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Cheers Brock

In my mind a reserve tank suggested 2 different tanks with a switchover.

I think there might be something wrong with my gauge  as yesterday I filled up when it was showing 3 bars and I only managed to get 14lts into it.

I'm just going to set the trip switch and when it hits 450KM look for fuel.

Keel

To close to MT for me. With my 1100 the fuel light comes (now that I fixed it) on at 390-410km and that's when I usually fill or the closest garage before that distance. When I'm towing the trailer then I'm filling at the 300km point unless I have spare fuel on board then I run to the fuel light comes on.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline tding

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »

I'm asking this because a couple of months ago I left the house and the gauge was reading 2 bar and within 1KM of my house it ran out of petrol.

Keel
This sounds like the the fuel level sender needs checking

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 07:02:44 AM »
I wonder if an ECU Reset, as described here   http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=11334.0    will correct the fuel level read error?
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)