Author Topic: New Bed for my bones  (Read 3529 times)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
New Bed for my bones
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
I have some travel plans for next year that will see me sleeping from a power nap in a IBA motel through to a mates place with very limited space to elcheapo back block county pubs where they change the sheets every month whether they need it or not.

Didn't wish to spend a fortune but wanted quality, quick to setup and pack up, and reasonable weather protection. I have a swag (actually I have 3, but that's another story) and they wouldn't be suitable for my plans for a few reasons.

So here is my solution:

The Modular Sleep System (MSS) is a modular sleeping bag used by the United States armed forces.

The MSS consists of a camouflaged  :fp but waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex bivy cover, a lightweight patrol sleeping bag, and an intermediate cold weather sleeping bag. Compression sacks are included to store and carry the system. The MSS is available in colors compatible with the universal camouflage pattern. The patrol bag provides cold weather protection from 1 to 10 degrees Celsius. The intermediate bag provides cold weather protection from minus -15 to 1 degree Celsius.....Together, the patrol bag and intermediate bags provide extreme cold weather protection in temperatures as low as minus 35 degrees Celsius  :eek  The bivy cover can be used with each of three MSS configurations (patrol, intermediate, or combined) to be comparable with the environment in which the system is being used; the bivy cover provides environmental protection from wind and water. Sleeping bags are made of ripstop nylon fabrics and continuous filament polyester insulation; camouflage bivy cover is made with waterproof, breathable, coated or laminated nylon fabric called Gore-Tex; the compression sacks are made with water-resistant, durable nylon fabric. The sleeping bags are both boot friendly and designed for a very quick exit should the need arise.....I won't be sleeping with my AR-15 most nights  :Stirpot

Safe to say the Patrol bag and the Intermediate will never be used together in this country on my Motorcycle adventures but at the price I paid, I purchased the entire system :thumbsup

I have a Therarest Pro lite plus 183x51x3.8 self inflating mattress that I have placed inside the Gortex Bivvy bag......the system rolls from the bottom and the self inflating valve is easily located at the top of the bag.

With the Gortex Bivvy, Thermarest, Patrol bag and self inflating pillow I have the entire system rolled up to 55cm wide and 18cm thick, the Intermediate bag if used alone turns this into a 22cm thick roll and stored in a 50 ltr waterproof Caribee expedition gear bag with a little room to spare in just 1 minute.

Only had the one night under the stars for about 3 hours and happy with the purchase so far.....

Paid $166 delivered for the 4 piece MSS from a disposals outlet in the US......new cost of the MSS is over $550USD. Mine was delivered with no marks ANYWHERE and both the sleeping bags were new  :like

:beer
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:51:33 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: New Bed for my bones
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »
 :thumb  :thumb
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline jimwilly

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
Looks like an ideal item for an overnighter, seems to be a lot easier for a quick kip than my biker swag.
Old age is catching up with me though, it's really hard to get my arse up off the ground these days, any ideas on a
small camp stretcher?

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
Looks like an ideal item for an overnighter, seems to be a lot easier for a quick kip than my biker swag.
Old age is catching up with me though, it's really hard to get my arse up off the ground these days, any ideas on a
small camp stretcher?

Here you go......    http://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-cot-one.php
As well as.....         http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=3761.0

The forum is a goldmine of info.   :thumb
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline jimwilly

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
thanks for the info Pete, first one looks really good but o bit expensive.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
Awesome setup there mate - great find.     ++

Thanks for sharing.     :thumb

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »

Here you go......    http://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-cot-one.php
The forum is a goldmine of info.   :thumb

That's lower than my current air bed.....

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
If this contraption wasn't so long when it is packed it would be ok. all you would need is a sleeping bag and a blow up pillow

http://www.oztrail.com.au/product-range/camping-outdoors-tents/tents/easy-fold-stretcher-tent-by-oztrail

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:24:13 AM »
What do you mean long?  1m ? .... @Wombat would put that across his back seat :rofl
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730