Author Topic: When you fitted your Stebel Nautilus horn.....  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
When you fitted your Stebel Nautilus horn.....
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »
I've bought a couple of Stebel Nautilus compact horns for my and the missus' bike. I intend to seperate the compressor from the horn section (already tried it.. very easy to do) however the question I have is when those who have done this seperated the 2 parts how did you connect the hose at the horn end. Did you screw a hose fitting into the body or what? I await the wisdom of the collective.....   :wink1
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline nate

• Old skool
Re: When you fitted your Stebel Nautilus horn.....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »
I found a brass hose fitting at Repco that I was able to screw into the compressor end. It provided a pretty good seal, so I didn't use anything additional to seal it.  Mounted the compressor under the seat in the 'toolbox'.

I will say that I feel it takes a moment (0.005) of a second longer for any sound to appear, guessing due to the extra distance it takes the air to travel, but it does work well.

I can't remember the part, but Repco had a huge range of brass fittings on a display stand and I chose one that was the closest.

Hope this helps.
Nate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nate (Nathan)
 :blk11

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
The extra delay is because the hose becomes an "accumulator"  which has to be pressurised before the horn will have enough pressure to make a noise.  So your partially correct.  It is the pressure wave that takes time to reach the horn.  Same net effect though.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline nate

• Old skool
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Gary, thought it was something similar. Brain dosen't work without enough coffee..  :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nate (Nathan)
 :blk11

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."