Author Topic: Comms etc, what to do...?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline SteveR

Comms etc, what to do...?
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:39:33 AM »
G'day all,
I'm in the process of sorting out the  accessory wiring on my bike, trying to workout what to keep and what to remove/replace. I guess first I need to decide where I want to go with it before I can work out where to start!

So, little background, this is ST2UP's old bike, he had a Comstar & UHF fitted, the guy I bought it from removed that setup, cutting the wiring, but leaving most of it in place. I still have the drivers Starcom plug socket & volume control there, as well as the PTT button. The back end (which went to the UHF) is a bit of a mess, haven't started to sort that out yet!).

So, I'd love some recommendations on a Comms system, if I can use any of the existing wiring, that'd be awesome, if not, well, that's just how it is. I currently use a pair of Aldi Bluetooth headsets, not bad, but not the greatest, and can only work with one device (ie, phone via Bluetooth).

My Wishlist:
-To be able to chat with pillion (and shut them up if needed...)
-Connect to phone for calls, and navigation directions.
-Connect to iPod for music/podcasts (I can do that through the phone, but I have to pre-load it, as there is only so much free space).
-Comm via UHF

Wired or unwired, I'm not too fussed, I don't like having to remember to charge batteries, but I also don't like jumping off the bike and forgetting to disconnect a cable! (Have done both, one is inconvenient, the other embarrassing, don't know which is worse tho!) Any recommendations on what might fulfil these needs, while not breaking the bank? I'm very open to the idea of older, 2nd hand equipment too, doesn't need to be the latest & greatest.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Comms etc, what to do...?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »
Your first decision is Wired or Bluetooth, and the reality is that no one else can make that call for you.     Wired has the advantage of never needing to be charged but you are connected to the bike.    Wireless is convenent, but needs charging.

After that, I'd have a chat with Dale McLean at http://www.dmme.com.au/ .  Dale is a Forum member and will be able to provide excellent advice about what products will meet your other requirements.

For what it's worth, I run a wired Starcom Digital system, with Pillion to Rider, CB Radio and Garmn GPS all routing through the Starcom hub.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline SteveR

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »

Your first decision is Wired or Bluetooth, and the reality is that no one else can make that call for you.     Wired has the advantage of never needing to be charged but you are connected to the bike.    Wireless is convenent, but needs charging.

Yeah, it's tricky... It's the sort of thing where, as you said, both have their pros & cons, I think I would just learn to live with whichever I end up getting, which is why I thought I'd look at what features are available, then see whether I can live with the format. Ultimately, I suspect I may lean towards wired, just for the longevity of the system, ie, batteries will eventually lose life, but a wire is always good (unless you do something stoopid...)

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
PM Chops (Dallas) in Canberra....I mentioned your Starcom issue and he has removed his from his ST  :think1

After using Starcom, Bikercomm and SENA it a double  :thumbsup to the Sena for our us  ;-*

Its used for Intercom, GPS, Phones x2, Music sharing and streaming, UHFCB, Ship to Shore radio and satellite TV  :p

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
There is an unexpected advantage to bluetooth in that you can hop off the bike, leaving the helmet on, and still have comms. Great for short stops.

After my altercation recently with the ute, it was reassuring to hear the 4 B-doubles behind me being made aware that I'd come off and they were stopping.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline SteveR

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »

There is an unexpected advantage to bluetooth in that you can hop off the bike, leaving the helmet on, and still have comms. Great for short stops.

Very good point, I hadn't actually thought of that...

PM Chops (Dallas) in Canberra....I mentioned your Starcom issue and he has removed his from his ST  :think1

After using Starcom, Bikercomm and SENA it a double  :thumbsup to the Sena for our us  ;-*

Its used for Intercom, GPS, Phones x2, Music sharing and streaming, UHFCB, Ship to Shore radio and satellite TV  :p

:beer

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him. If I can salvage the existing wiring, it could make the job of installing a Starcom kit a bit easier...  :think1

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
I use the Sena setup. It has minimal wiring, and easy to use. If you want to power your intercom unit on the go, its a simple matter to plug in to one of those battery backup units and leave it in a convenient pocket. The only time your Sena IC unit will run out of battery, is if you ride for 24 hrs.

The SR10 is easy to connect to the radio (UHF) of you choice. It also has two aux audio ports as well for Sat TV and HiFi system. SMH10 has an aux audio port for listening to Baathurst/ PI broadcasts so entertainment is sorted.

(I have room over the radio for a 7" monitor, so can watch a movie on those long boring night runs )
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline SteveR

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

I use the Sena setup. It has minimal wiring, and easy to use. If you want to power your intercom unit on the go, its a simple matter to plug in to one of those battery backup units and leave it in a convenient pocket. The only time your Sena IC unit will run out of battery, is if you ride for 24 hrs.

The SR10 is easy to connect to the radio (UHF) of you choice. It also has two aux audio ports as well for Sat TV and HiFi system. SMH10 has an aux audio port for listening to Baathurst/ PI broadcasts so entertainment is sorted.

(I have room over the radio for a 7" monitor, so can watch a movie on those long boring night runs )

I'm amazed by the inter-connectivity of these units, I'll have to have a close look at all of the different in/output options for the different systems.

Unfortunately, I think this may all end up in the 'daydreaming' pile, after a visit to the doc yesterday it looks like I may have some costly medical things in the near future :( Still, I'll be keeping an eye out for an affordable second hand unit, fingers crossed, you never know.

Offline SteveR

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
Well, I'm revisiting this idea...

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I'd revive this one, saves the back-story.

I've recently had a pay bump, and as much as I've tried to spend it on repairing the lawn, fixing up the garden etc, my good lady is still insisting I treat myself (...the mention of wanting to treat her to a day-spa did make her waver though...).  As my oldest boy is closing in on being of pillion age, I'm thinking a good comms system will come in handy.  As much as the Aldi units have gotten me by this far, I can see us spending a lot of time on the ST (it's a 2hr trip each way to pick him up and drop him off), so this could be a good investment.

I started looking into Sena units again, starting with the SR10 like Brock suggested, but, as I tend to do, I soon get lost in the rabbit-hole of options, prices, comparisons etc etc... Why re-invent the wheel when a lot of you here have done the hard work already  :-++

I'd really appreciate it if anyone tell me what I'll need to get, where to get it from etc, what things to get in a bundle, what things need to be bought on their own etc.  I would like: a compact UHF unit, a controller which can also take audio from phone(BT), ipod(AUX) & future gps upgrades.  2x or possibly 3x bluetooth headsets (3x because once the new little-guy is able to be babysat, his mum is keen to get back onto the bike asap).

Is it a big ask?  Yep, probably, happy to shout beers/coffee/soda at the next RTE for your help (or man the grill if it's a camp-out).  Thanks guys, really appreciate the knowledge and experience, usually I love to research myself, but with the little tacker crying in my ear, it ain't easy! :crazy

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:04 AM »
A couple of years back I got a dual set of the Scala rider units.   Voice activated Comms between rider/pillion and I can link up to four other units at the same time.   It has a 2km range and you can talk to an individual in your group or the whole group.     It is plug and play and weather proof.   I can listen to local radio, music or any but device.   The voice activation can be pain if you cough or give some car driver a mouthful of advice but so far so good.     I can get a full days riding out of one charge.
Richo

Offline SteveR

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »
A couple of years back I got a dual set of the Scala rider units...

They sound like an interesting option, do you have a model # I can look up?

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
The box says  Scala rider smart pack. There is another style that allows grouping up to ten units     The devices can be setup via an apple or android phone as well
Richo

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
A couple of years back I got a dual set of the Scala rider units.   Voice activated Comms between rider/pillion and I can link up to four other units at the same time.   It has a 2km range and you can talk to an individual in your group or the whole group.     It is plug and play and weather proof.   I can listen to local radio, music or any but device.   The voice activation can be pain if you cough or give some car driver a mouthful of advice but so far so good.     I can get a full days riding out of one charge.

I have a Sena 20S Dual (rider and pillion) system which sounds like it has pretty similar features to the Scala units described above.

The Sena units work very well between rider and pillion.  Only on a couple of times have I used it with a riding mate (he has his own Sena 20S set-up).  The range between riders is up to around 800m when you have line of sight, when in hills and curves is restricted to line of sight.

I use the FM radio feature quite a bit, but the reception range is pretty poor when compared to car radio FM reception.  I also listen to music or podcasts stored on the iPhone when riding some long distances, if FM is unavailable, which as mentioned above, is often.

I also receive 'phone calls, the reception is very good (when in mobile range).  A few years ago, no. 1 son called when Mrs W and I were returning from a rally.  We were on the Calder Highway doing around 120, I had to cut the call short (because we were riding), son wanted to chat until I explained that I was on the ST, doing 120 - he had no idea as there was the extra background noise.

I have a hearing problem, so use ear plugs to reduce the wind noise to a comfortable level, but the volume on the Sena needs to be set a very high or maximum to be adequate for me to hear, and these days I do tend to slow down to 80 if I really need to hear something important.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
I will second the Sena 20S dual rider. Works great and the boss can listen to my music or dial in her own.
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
I have used the Scala Rider and Sena units and find the Sena gear to be a little better/easier to use.
As for which one to get (of the Sena range) you just have to look at what you want to have.

* The SMH10 is a great unit with a 900m range but no radio.
* The 20s is the most common with a 2000m range and FM radio.
* The 10c has a 1600m range, FM radio and a built in camera.

All these can talk to each other so you can mix a number of them amongst riders.

I hope this helped a little :thumbs

Cheers
Shiney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
We originally had a wireless set with 2 major disadvantages, never sure if the units were charged and the biggest was Theresa never really getting on top of the controls. Now use Starcom 1 Digital. By fitting a remote I can easily control the pillions settings as well as my own. Yes plugging in and disconnecting every time you get on and off is a little pain but it works for me/us. Also meant that now my grand daughter rides with me I just had to buy the headset to go into her helmet.
It appears that Dale no sells Starcom or Senna. For Starcom see:-

https://www.soundrider.com.au/starcom1
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »
Generally Prestige Comms in WA are the cheapest when it comes to Sena products in Aust.....other than the odd evilbay special if you are chasing previous models.

Sena still my pick  :Like:

cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: Flubby - (Duanne}