Author Topic: Touring screen: Cat eyes? Flares? Neither? Both?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline SteveR

Touring screen: Cat eyes? Flares? Neither? Both?
« on: October 22, 2015, 05:51:14 AM »
Morning all,

I'm slowly working towards organising a new touring screen for my ST11, I'll probably get it made by Screens For Bikes, since they're relatively local, and have offered a very competitive price compared to the other two major Aussie manufacturers. I'm hoping to try AliSTairs screen on for size in the near future, anticipating that will settle my mind on what height I need, but then we come to the optional extras... Which is where I wouldn't mind some experienced opinions...

I'm pretty certain I'll end up getting the flared sides, just seems logical, especially if there will be a bit of 2up touring, would love to hear experience of the difference they make though.

The other option, cat-eyes... There was obviously a purpose behind them, since I don't think Mr Honda ever did anything without a purpose, but how big of a difference do they make in the real world? Originally I hadn't considered them, because a) it rains a lot in Vic, so I like the idea of a solid shield, and b) I'm tight! But then... I was thinking about Christmas the other night and am toying with the idea of visiting my brother, which means riding up to Noosa, which got me thinking about airflow...

So, in short, cat-eyes? Flares? Both? Neither? Waddaya reckon?

Cheers!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Touring screen: Cat eyes? Flares? Neither? Both?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:01:57 AM »
Have a look at a Bike Quip screen as well, and perhaps even send Keith an e.mail.    http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1100_windscreens.html   
I can't speak for his ST1100 screen, but I do have one of his ST1300 screens, and it is a truly amazing improvement over the OEM screen, and probably the best farkle that I've fitted.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:45:49 AM »
I have a 10cm higher screen with the cat eyes as the OEM screen had them and they must have been there for a specific reason. I thought to relieve back pressure on the screen but I found the following from http://www.st-owners.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-129887.html

95 - 02 model years came with OEM shields with the cateyes, earlier years didn't have them.+1... the first gen ST1100 (<'95) came with a narrow, straight windscreen, featuring no cat-eyes; this design lead to quite some buffeting, especially on the pillion's helmet... besides those cut-outs the post '96 screen is also wider in the upper half, featuring a way smoother air flow to both lids, but to the passenger's helmet in particular...

From that I'd say go for both.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline SteveR

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

From that I'd say go for both.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think this sums up my final thoughts!
"Not all those who wander are lost"