Author Topic: Seat thread  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Flubby - (Duanne}

• ST Legend
Seat thread
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
So I defected to a BMW k1600 however still own the st1100. But after my ride on the weekend I’m thinking of upgrading the seat. 
So let’s see them new seat everyone that are good for long time saddle comfort. I think it was stinky Pete that had what looked to be a very comfortable seat on his BMW.

TIA

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Seat thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
You'll get almost as many opinions on this subject, as you would on an oil or tyre thread, here's my opinion.

I have fitted an RDL (Russell Daylong) on the ST1300.  For me, good for 300km rides between stops, 600km plus days.  Others will ride double those figures. 

The RDL provides plenty of support under the thighs, takes a bit of pressure off the backside, and has some wrap around support, helps me to stayed centered on the saddle.  The pillion section has a little rise at the front, stops the pillion from sliding forward on some quick stops.

Here are some pics from the RDL website:

https://day-long.com/gallery/honda/

Mine is very, very similar.

The problems with RDL is that you need to ship your saddle to the USA, and be without a saddle for two or three weeks, hope they get it right, or go through the process again, and the cost - probably around $1,000 once shipping is taken into account.  Pete and Marcus will be along soon with actual costs.

I'd be taking the bike to a local motor trimmer, show him the pics, and get him to make-up one for your.  There's MJM in Goulburn NSW that will do that for you.  I have a couple of mates down here in Melbourne that swear by him, but he is in the $600 to $700 range.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: Flubby - (Duanne}

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »
2 friends from the Long Distance community have just added a "bead-rider" for their 1600km+ day rides and one other has the Mustang touring seats..I personally had the Mustang seats on my Vulcan cruiser and they were brilliant..Sargeant seats in sport tourers (FJR) were good also..the RDL is the utopia but expensive & as previously stated lots of shipping to and fro...local marine/motor trimmers can also modify and adjust until you get it right...
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
Congrats on your new K1600.

I’ve just been from Perth to Tassie and back on mine. I’ve recently installed a Sargent 2 piece seat. Expensive because of mandatory integrated heating.

https://www.sargentcycle.com.au/contents/en-uk/d2677.html

If you have a two piece seat you have the option of just upgrading the front seat.

I had a Sargent seat a few years ago on my 1400GTR and was reasonably happy with it.

I chose not to go with everyone’s favourite because I wanted a two piece seat. The bike (second hand) came with a one piece seat.

The furthest day I traveled was around 1450km. As far as my butt was concerned, I could easily have completed an IBA if that was my aim.

With the Sargent, you have the 1 month option to return it. Just check with the Australian distributors at the link above.

Good luck.
1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
I had a Sergeant front and rear onmy ST1300 and it was a vast improvement over the OEM.   It was harder, flatter and broader and much more comfortable, particularly with a sheepskin cover.

My R1200RT now has a RDL front (not the rear) with the integrated heating, and it's really good.   I find that it's my knees and back need a break before my butt.  Be aware that a RDL is around 25mm higher than an OEM seat, so it you are already on the lowest seat position, you may find the RDL a little higher than you would like.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)