Author Topic: Streaks National Rally Ride Report Part 1  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Streaks National Rally Ride Report Part 1
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
I had originally planned on doing the ride alone, but Dave (Shiney) - whom had not done this sort of distance before, organised to come with me, so we added a 2004 Honda ST1300, so much planning and practice went into the trip.

We made the plan simple, working on 500km a day, with plenty of breaks, so you can see the world a little, while making sure you are looking after yourself and enjoying the ride you are doing

Day 1 Toowoomba to Tamworth Monday 501km

Shiney came down Sunday night, so we could get up and on our way, we where up and stomping around early, and i am sure Teela was glad to be rid of us as the trip is all we spoke about for the entire time they where there....

Met up with Duncan in Warwick, it was then we realized that he was riding Skidmarks bike! We Stopped in tenterfield at blue bells cafe as the great coffee shop i promised the boys was closed!

Lunch with ST2UP in Guyra, which was the first of many good feeds put on by OzSTOC members on our trip, after good coffee and food we headed for Tamworth with Steveo coming out to meet us and bring us in

Duncan was moteling it, while Shiney and i decided to camp at the Paradise caravan park, which is where i first sighted the Taj Mahal Tent that Shiney takes with him, We went to dinner at the little Chinese place with Steveo, all round a damn good start to the day

Day 2 Tamworth to West Wyalong 610km Tuesday

5.30am start discovered that Shiney makes a good cup of Nestle Coffee/Milk mix, Rode out of Tamworth Heading for Tony's place in West Wyalong,  Got down the road to Coonabarabran for breakfast, which would turn out to be the first of many lots of bacon and eggs.....

We picked up Abe in Parkes on the way through after breakfast, it was a pretty uneventful trip, apart from one very very interesting stretch of roadworks that caused abe to laugh at my rear end.....but the crowning moment was arriving at Tony's house!

Tony was not home and his wife Heather greeted us as we pulled in what a reception! Cold beer, Air conditioning, Home cooked meal on the stove, one hell of a comfortable couch and throw in the Trifle for desert, as you can see below, we did it tough! (side note if there is how tony is greeted every time he comes home half the group will be moving to West Wyalong to live with him)

Day 3 West wyalong to Mildura Wednesday 550km

Woke up, and the Hospitality continued, Fantastic home cooked bacon eggs for breakfast to start our day, i am not sure that any of us wanted to leave....

but we sadly continuned to Goolgowi to meet up with Sabie, who commented on the fact of his 200km ride west and 3 day ride south to meet us! I used to be an overseer on property near here called Gunbar just near here so it was a little trip down memory lane for me. We now had five of us travelling together

none of us had really ever ridden together so seeing us all working out each others habits was interesting, and yet a quite amusing, from my arm waving talking Shiney through what all the farm stuff was, Duncan feet dancing on the bike, Sabie who was playing with his technology, and Abe who was patiently trying to find one of who would do a consistent speed  :crackup

and of course we came to the Legendary Hay Plains Hay plains, something everyone should do once, just to see how open the world really can be although the first thing we really saw was a red light....

Poor Duncan at this time, was discovering a Leather Jacket, and western NSW where a great Jenny Craig competitor, but not great for riding!  we got great value cabins at the Big 4 Cross Roads in Mildura,  and Lonerider and octane came out to dinner with us at the gateway tavern

Day 4 Mildura to Middleton Thursday 425km

Then it was the final stretch to Middleton, but first we had to get across the border, and the Fruit and Veg police, i rolled up first, and the nice lady came out and asked me" do you have any Fruit or Veg on board?" my answer " No veg, but you might want to check with the 4 fruits behind me  :rofl :rofl" i am still laughing at the one...

then it was the obligatory photo at the border

Breakfast at Loxton, Lots of road works at 80km became very frustrating which slowed us down, although i did learn i could headbutt a bird at a 100km and not know i hit it until everyone else tells me, and Always double check your GPS with a map as you might miss out on some great roads...not that i may have blindly followed my GPS and added a little to our trip....

Arrived Middleton caravan park around 3, great little spot, even brought RTE Scooby out for a photo!

Day 5 Middleton Friday

Up Early, as I was seriously excited, how could I not be? We were about to have ST1100s and ST1300s all over the place….The first arrivals started around 10am, and the picture started to build, watching the bikes pulling in beside cabins, the tents going up, the old faces shaking hands from last year, the new ones gleefully walking around looking at bikes, and greeting the old hands, welcomed like they were part of the family.

Handing out rally gear left right and centre, running around talking, it rolled into mid afternoon, I had done the food and grog stuck up early so that i could get into socializing, and stinky Pete was an excellent man who kept my wine glass full, even when Teela turned up i was full of smiles

I even found a stray Turtle!

and then it was onto meet and greet, they even had to open up a spare room for us all for dinner  :thumb

and some guy there looked like someone had put Diesel in his food....

Thus ends Part one of my Ride report, Part 2 will be continued soon.....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
Re: Streaks National Rally Ride Report Part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :popcorn
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:45 PM »
No veg, but you might want to check with the 4 fruits behind me  " i am still laughing at the one...

:rofl :rofl :clap :clap :rofl :rofl
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
Sorry guys what are the fruit and veg police? :-[

Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
Sorry guys what are the fruit and veg police? :-[

Travelling into and within South Australia

It is illegal to carry fruit and vegetables across all borders into South Australia, unless they have been certified free of pests and diseases.

South Australian Quarantine roadblocks and honesty bins are strategically placed throughout South Australia.  Mobile quarantine roadblocks operate on country roads.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »
Cheers you learn something new everyday. The 4 fruits behind you didn't get confiscated then? :whistle
Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:07:04 AM »
Great report Streak.  I look forward to Part 2.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »
Great trip report, Streak. Really looking forward to Chapter 2
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
Re: Streaks National Rally Ride Report Part 2
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
Good Evening Girls and Boys, please sit down and be quiet, it is time for Part 2 of Streaks National Rally Ride Report

Saturday Morning

OzSTOC National Rally is Officially underway! Woke up to the smell of Bacon, Eggs and ST's in the Air, the Goolwa Lions Club where hard at cooking our bacon eggs, and i have to say they did a bang up job as you can see by all the people below tucking in, plus the few extra kids tucking into the tea and coffee for some reason....

at 9am we have the official ride talk on what was going to happen and how the day was going to run, Stinky Pete told us he had ridden the ride route new where he was going, and did an excellent job of informing us of what we needed to do and keep an eye out for, at least we can be organsied motorcycle riders 39 bikes where ready to leave by 10am, heck we even had the police to block traffic to let us out, which i have to say on a personal note was very exciting, i never thought OzSTOC would achieve these giddy heights!

i would outline every single turn and bend, but Pete did  an excellent job of that, so i will put my few photos below of the places we stopped, and things we saw

A big thank you has to go to IanB as well, without his time efforts taking photos for our club, we would not have the excellent material that goes Into promoting us.

a fantastic 200km of touring around the Middleton/Goolwa area was brilliantly organised by the SA members, Teela and i toured some of it by ourselves in the following days as well, awesome roads and places to stop and see!

well it was 4pm and everyone was home, it was time for diesel and i to sit down and work out all our award winners for the rally, it was difficult we drank nearly two cans working all this out, talk about hard work! but every award winner earned the award we gave them, and it was our pleasure to do so  :thumb, mind you i walked yp to the middleton hotel, went to put the awards out on the table, and there where the SA awards, talk about yours is bigger than mine, slunk away feeling very emasculated......

the whole evening whent really well, excellent guest speaker, whom teela and i did some exploring around to some of the places he spoke about, the awards went to very deserving people, Diesel & I even got to speak a little...well ok alot! Diesel announced our 2014 Rally Location of Ballarat in Victoria, and i watched with high amussment of Marcus and Dan getting big smiles on their faces, and realising that they had a ton of work to do (lucky they have a whole bunch of Mexicans to help them out  :rockon

Then we tried to sit down and Saaz made us wait, he and brock had been cooking up something in the background, and we got presented with a certificate of appreciation for our work with OzSTOC

I am never short of a word, but i had goosebumps and not alot to say, it just shows what an amazing group of people we have, and i am still feeling pretty humble, it is going on the wall in my office, i am immensely proud! that brough a close to the evening, although i did crack a smile watching all the Victorians having a little get together in a corner discussing National rally 2014 already.....

Sunday

Well it almost felt a little sad, mind you the bacon and eggs made the pain more bearable, but everyone was going home, but Pete was not finished, he got up and presented the Lions club and the Caravan Park owners with Certificates from the club, and thanked them all for helping make the rally what it was 

He and Phil took the rest of us for a ride around the area out to the Goolwa Motor Museum, where we were all really impressed, and the little boys came out in all of us, as we wanted this car and this car, and ooohhh my dads mate had one of those.....

while the rest of the crew went riding with pete, Teela and i went into town and did something really exciting.....our washing.....Teela snapped this great photo while i was being rather boring and reading the local paper

luckly there was a very good coffee shop across the road, and what should we find parked out the back, but a silver ST1300, turns out they were down here for the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle event that was on, and had bought the 1300 as a means to do the trip, he told me he already had a card (good work Steveo)

Then it was dinner time, top quality Pizza, top quality Company, and the Wine was even better, as we all sat in the camp kitchen, telling story's and just generally having a bloody good time, i got to really see why i love this group, i could look around the room and count these people as not just other members of the group, but as friends and mates as well

i have to say as a side note, that i sat in may chair for a good few hours downing wine after wine, i stood up once we all headed for bed, and realized that i had ALOT of wine, and Teela may have had to do some counter steering for me to make it back to the cabin........

thus ends part 2 of my National Rally Ride report......stay tuned, same bat time, same bat moment for part 3....the trip home!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:27:54 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline STill dreaming

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
Enjoyable read ,great photo's
No longer dreaming. Past bikes,XR80 1979,DT175 1980,XT250 G 1980(X2), XT 250T, GPZ900r (x2), H100, TT350, TTR250.  current bikes Honda Varadero 1999, GPZ 900r 1986, XT 250T 1987, and newest and best , 2006 ST1300.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Enjoyable read ,great photo's

i never finished writing this one...
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Streak,

Mate,

What happened to part 3 :think1

I want to know if we made it home ok :eek
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)