Author Topic: TC Debbie - thoughts for our members in path  (Read 1458 times)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
TC Debbie - thoughts for our members in path
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
Just a reminder that at least three of our OzSToc family have been in the Cyclones path or damage zone.

• Scarlett thunderbolt
  • Ivan
  • Forrest

My Bother In Law was right under the cyclone on the seaward side of a mountain near Strathdickie (Airlie Beach) in a house he built less than 6 years ago. He hunkered in his protected garage in the car and was scared shitless ..... and this is a man who does not get scared!...... ever!

From what I am reading Collinsville was smashed as well and the ex-Cyclone is heading on down central QLD with vengeance. 

For all those yet to be touched by Debbie take care.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: TC Debbie - thoughts for our members in path
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
Thanks spanner for reminding us about our brothers in the firing line
Does anyone know how they got on, I have a few friends living in Bowen, Mackay and Rockhampton hope all is good with everyone  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Here's hoping everyone gets thru without injury and any major damage  :thumb
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

My Bother In Law was right under the cyclone on the seaward side of a mountain near Strathdickie (Airlie Beach) in a house he built less than 6 years ago. He hunkered in his protected garage in the car and was scared shitless ..... and this is a man who does not get scared!...... ever!

My first cyclone experience was extremely different.

I hit Port Hedland the eve of cyclone George - cat 5 (March 2007). I was with my bro in law and I stayed in the work site unit (condemned for electrical reasons) and sleept through most of it. the only reason I woke up was that the light fitting above the bed filled with water and gave way; I got wet when it fell. Then I found it hard to get back to sleep from the roar of the wind.

My bro in law had a more interesting night. He was in his own 30 foot van which had sea containers along the back and at the rear. The works building was up front and along the van entrance side was his Ford Louisville tray top with it's Hiab holding the van down. He reckons the van lifted 12 inches off the ground and with van door and truck door lined up he jumped ship and spent the rest of the night in the truck cab.

My 1100 and trailer were put between a couple of sea containers and all good.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
Chris just spoke with John & Kate and they are safe and well. Debbie wasn't quite as bad in their area as expected although they have no power and trees down everywhere. But the tail of the cyclone was worse than expected and caused more issue than the initial storm.

Pockey  :KissBlow
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, Shiney, Wild Rose, spanner

Online Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Good to hear  :thumbsup
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
Thanks spanner and all the fellow OzSTOCers who have sent messages of support to those of us in Nth Qld who were effected by TC Debbie... it makes a big difference to know friends are thinking of you at a time like this...Cheers, John and Kate.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, spanner

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
Ex cyclone Debbie has just meandered her way across New Zealand overnight, after picking up even more water on her trip across the Tasman.  She rolled through in the middle of the night.  Heavy rain, and I mean heavy rain - most places will be getting a months rain in one day.  The city of Whanganui have just downgraded the flood level that they were expecting late this afternoon from about 17 metres down to 13 metres but that's still a lot of water flowing passed.  An apartment building in one of the more expensive areas of Auckland was evacuated because of a slip behind it and one of the suburban railway lines was cut by another slip.  Not quite like the cyclone Yasi levels of flooding experienced by Rocky and down to Brisbane, but still notable considering it was a second hand/pre-used cyclone with a considerable number of kilometres on the clock.

Hey Scarlet Thunderbolt, I think I pulled up beside you two once by the Botanic Gardens on Lagoon St at the lights with Bruce Highway - I was riding a white ST1100 going straight across the lights and you were turning right towards Sarina.  Hope you're OK post Debbie, ex workmates in Mackay say they think they dodged a bullet this time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:31:46 AM by Old Steve »
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

The following users thanked this post: spanner, Scarlett Thunderbolt

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
Whether you experienced the pointy end or suffered the lash of her tail, I think that this TC should be renamed 'TC Debbistation'.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline DBfive

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • David B
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
Indeed, we're still waiting for the Burnett River to go down a metre or so to open one of the bridges over it.  Our Historic MC rally is due to cross it on Sunday week.  Should be clear by then provided the bridge itself isn't damaged.  Still a lot of people with damaged houses and flooded properties up north so Debbie's effects will be felt for some time.  Glad to hear it missed you John.

Cheers
Dave B
ST1300
CB750 K7

The following users thanked this post: Scarlett Thunderbolt

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
The Fitzroy at Rocky is yet to peak. Currently around 8.5 metres.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555