Author Topic: Tyre changing tools  (Read 11068 times)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Tyre changing tools
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that one of our members was intending to buy some tyre changing tools with some of the money saved by buying their tyres from the USA. I'm interested to know just what tyre changing tools are available for motorcycle wheels...........who has brought them, and from where..........at what cost..........are they efficient.........will they work on any size tyre........etc etc??

Come on fellas.....cough up :well

Any information you can give will be very much appreciated :-++
 :wht13
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Tyre changing tools
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
Might have been me!  I got this tyre tool as it combines the best of a couple of different tools  http://www.no-scufftiretool.com/  $121 delivered.
The website has some tips for making up a home made wheel holder using a car rim and various other bits that make life easier, and on the cheap.  The video says it all.  Use a lot of tyre lube, as this seems to be the key to the tyres slipping on.  The videos on here are good as well to get you an idea of what is involved. http://www.nomartirechanger.com/
The tyres we use a on the stiff side so aren't as easy as it looks, but after a few goes it gets easier.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Outback Rider

• Hello to all ST owners.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Is changing your own tyres really worth the bother? How many tyres are people going through?

My local bike shop will swap a tyre over and balance it all for $25 if you take the wheel in off the bike. This is also the average cost at most shops.
You don't have to have bought the new tyre from them either. It's also the same price for a tubeless puncture repair.

You haven't outlaid money for tyre changing and balancing tools, you don't damage the rim and they do the work. All for $25.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
I understand where you're coming from but I'm 125kls from my nearest bike shop and it costs me approx $35.00 in fuel by the time I drive in and return, that puts my cost up to $60.00 a tyre. Also there are 8 other riders here where I live who would also like to save money by buying their own tyres and my thoughts are that if I had the tools I could maybe charge them a few bucks to fit tyres to their wheels as well. It's more a convenience thing than trying to make a dollar out of it. Of course it all depends upon the cost of buying equipment that would do the job without damaging wheels etc. Balancing isn't a problem, that's easy to set up. I'm just considering all this at the moment.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
I am doing it more because I prefer to do all the work on my bike.  And I can do it anytime I feel like it rather than fit in with shop times.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
That too Saaz!

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
You have a point being 135ks out from the bike shop, I would do my own car tyres, bike tyres are a bit different.
 :blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Kev.............I've done heaps of research on this and from what I've read the best manual product to buy is one of the "No Mar" units from the USA.

There's a lot of ST Owners using this product in the States (ST Owners.com) and they all post excellent results.  They did have an Australian distributor, MSO
Motorsports but I've been unable to contact them, in fact I don't think they're still around. I've been in touch with No Mar in the States and I'm just waiting for 
prices on their equipment to be shipped to Tassie. Have a look at their web site............they have excellent videos showing the use of their products. They even
show a slightly built female removing and replacing a tyre with their equipment. They are one of the few tyre changers that definately don't mark wheels.

I know the total cost of the equipment with shipping etc will be in excess of $1000.00 but I'm looking into it mate.

How did you go sourcing tyre tools Couch?

Cheers

Kev