Author Topic: NEW POLL - How many times have you "tipped over"  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
NEW POLL - How many times have you "tipped over"
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
Okay folks - come clean - whether it was your fault or not, a 230km/h off or a driveway 'slip n tip'

How many times can you say that you had that     :cuss     :o|||    feeling coz the bike didn't go the way you planned?

One vote per member - but it IS anonymous, so we can't hang any crap on you.     :rofl :rofl :rofl
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

terrydj

Re: NEW POLL - How many times have you "tipped over"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
First: Hmmmm 3 that count, other than just tipping over when stopped?????
1 when I first got the BMW off a oh so wise ULYSSES member that saved a few bucks by putting a tube in the front wheel of a tubeless tyre???????? Blew out at at around the 220kph while passing a truck, and as tubes do, went flat straight away and into a paddock I throws the bike???? . Bit of bruising and a bit of shock

2nd: Truck decides to do a Uturn when I'm at the rear righyt hand side, so I connects with him as I try and pass and over I goes. Compression of the chest and a dodgy left leg?????

3rd. Roundabout at the Gold Coast. I stops and gives way to the right, takes off and bike just falls over just as I get to start the right turn, maybe 15/20kph. Hmmm maybe their was something a touch slippery me thinks???? 3 broken vertebrae in the neck, 5 days in hospital, and 5 weeks with a neck brace on?????
Funny thing was that in the room I shared at the hospital was a bloke that dropped a scooter at the same roundabout the day before?????????

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »
Well, the ST11 has not been over as yet (close a few times but luck and skill set in!).  Dropping the GS1000 Suzuki twice, once down hill slowing for a right turn, heavy rain, hit some oil, cracked engine sidecase, second time going too fast over bridge bike went down and slid a while (looking at bike disapearing in the distance while on the ground not good), leathers not so good but rode the bike home.  CD175 Honda in the gravel first year of riding, destroyed the headlight.

I cannot claim major injuries and hospital time though..more luck than anything :)  I have information on other members so they better fess up sometime!
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
I've dropped 125's, 250's and a 400. Pushed the 250 home one day after I put a hole in the side engine cover.
When I first picked up the ST, I noticed the extra weight. It's been close a few times. The thought of not being able to right it again is enough to play safe.
I thought that about my KZ400 too. It's amazing what you can do when the adrenalin kicks in.
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
1st when I was overtaking a car and the dips&*t turned right.

Numerous times on the Police 'Off-Road" and "Pursuit" courses (not counting those though)

2nd (on a fully marked Police bike) when leaving a petrol pump and due to nearby road works there was a fine film of sand on the forecourt. I attempt to turn to the right to pass in front of all the other bowsers (and cars), twist the throttle a touch and the bike does a 180 as she goes down and I end up on my side looking at the pump I've just left, with my partner nearly falling off his bike in fits of laughter. The console operator had the gall to tell me that I was the second person to do that within an hour. I CALLED HIM NAMES I COULDN'T SPELL. :cuss

3rd time when I had only done 837ks on my BRAND NEW ST1300 and some #@^%$$##%^ ran into the back of me at a STOP sign (when I was on the way home from work), causing $5,700 worth of damage to the bike and 6 weeks off work with neck and back problems. The numpty said he didn't see me! I said, "It's not a Posties bike and I'm not exactly a little man (183cm and 115 Kg). Then, after I'd finished calling him every name I could think of and then making up a few more, he saw the Police shirt under my Dririder and asked if I was a Policeman. When I confirmed that I was he said, "I don't think you're being very professional about this!"   :crazy I'll leave it to your imaginations as to what my reply was to that. Suffice to say that my closing comment was that he should count himself lucky that I was a Police Officer, otherwise I would have punched him in the head, very hard and maybe more than once. He then agreed with me and apologised for his stupid comment.

I'm going to claim 4 - 6 allowing for the (10 - 15) Training misshaps.

Dave R
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
Hey Diesel I suppose you are expecting me to make a statement here as to my nickname which by the way you gave me.
OK, OK 4
Using rear brake with a ruptured tendon is not easy when pulling up. And straddling a drive way that has deep middle really catches  one by surprise (once only)
But I do realise that I have as yet not stopped counting because you never know what life may throw at you.

TIPSY
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
On the ST, I would rather not say, as I dont want to tempt fate...
 1st Bike (Kwaka Z250) 2 or 3, cant remember. Not counting the Car and van that turned right as I was over taking. That was more of an ejection over the car than a tip over.

2nd Bike Suzi Katana 650, maybe one or two cant remember as it was back in the days of black n white (Or as my kids say, colour wasnt invented back then)

3rd Bike Kwaka ZZR1100 3 carpark front brake induced, one pull up on side of road and forget the side stand incindent

4th Bike ST1100P... Still not saying :thumb :beer :beer

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
2 times.
First was pulling into a carport which was loose gravel lined, At a rented holiday house, while friends (5 couples) were already there sitting around drinking and watching me pull ride up the drive admiring my Brand New ST1300 (1 month old).
I stopped under the carport, foot slipped on the gravel...Massive amounts of hysterical laughter filled my ears...3 Guys to help left it back up...sigh.

Second...Pulling into a parking spot turning into the park used to much front brake, lost balance and went over...Lucky I'd finished watch that youtube clip of the 50yo ladies picking them up...Sigh

Both times. Wife was on the back...At least now she knows which way to jump

Offline Streak

• Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
My best Effort was a brand new FZ1 parking in a mates driveway that had just been recoated, stepped off to open roller door, and crash, my brother took one look at my face stayed on the bike and thought best to let me calm down.....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Couch

• Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
Twice..............1st time was in a rest area when I was riding from Brisbane to Tassie after picking up my bike (1 day old). It was 32 degrees and I'd stopped in a rest area to have a quick drink after just filling up with fuel. There was heaps of loose gravel and I was trying to be so careful............after stopping for about 2 minutes I started the bike and leaned the bike slightly to the right to put it into 1st gear and as I did so my foot started to slip away from me on the loose gravel so I let the clutch out slightly hoping to pull away, but to my dismay the back wheel started to skid on the gravel and down she went with my back wheel spinning and throwing gravel everywhere >:(). Only damage (apart from my pride) was to the black plastic engine guard cover. 2nd time was when I was doing a u turn in first gear at idle speed. There was just a short patch of grass that I rode over. What I didn't realise was that under the grass was very soft deep mud and as soon as my back wheel went over the grass it just skidded off to the left and the bike went down very slowly on the right side once again >:(). Apart from a bit of mud there was no damage to the bike at all.

Prior to this little mishap on the grass I was know as "Tazzie Baz" but there were some, who shall remain nameless, who decided that my little mishap deserved a change of name........hence "Couch"..............isn't it sad when some people show no pity, and take perverted pleasure in renaming those who have suffered an unfortunate mishap..............hey Diesel!!  :butt
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
Looks like we will have to be careful when Diesel visits Perth in November.

As he likes to rename people. :grin
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
Strewth!  I've dropped every bike I've owned at least once- not that I've owned a lot compared to some here.
Wet corrugated bitumin corner on my Suzuki 80.  (Over the handlebars into a ditch, same bike, later on.)
Dumped daughter off the back of my Postie bike showing off accelerating away from a school sports carnival where I'd picked her up (in front of her friends).   :fp
Dropped ST1100 straddling the gutter like Tipsy- having just bought it and ridden out of the dealership.  Also a couple of times in shopping centre carparks stalling in sharp turns.
Dropped blue ST1300 doing tight U turn in 2nd gear- stalled and dropped.  Ditto U turn on wet road in first gear.
Dropped Ruby 1300 putting it on side stand on angled road thinking it would be OK for a minute near vertical- wrong.   :o||| 
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
I feel better already!

Strewth!  I've dropped every bike I've owned at least once- not that I've owned a lot compared to some here.
Wet corrugated bitumin corner on my Suzuki 80.  (Over the handlebars into a ditch, same bike, later on.)
Dumped daughter off the back of my Postie bike showing off accelerating away from a school sports carnival where I'd picked her up (in front of her friends).   :fp
Dropped ST1100 straddling the gutter like Tipsy- having just bought it and ridden out of the dealership.  Also a couple of times in shopping centre carparks stalling in sharp turns.
Dropped blue ST1300 doing tight U turn in 2nd gear- stalled and dropped.  Ditto U turn on wet road in first gear.
Dropped Ruby 1300 putting it on side stand on angled road thinking it would be OK for a minute near vertical- wrong.   :o||| 
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
 :-[  couldn't even begin to remember how many times I've managed that trick.

Most embarrassing was on my first Honda CB750 K2 - brand new, bright, shiny red one too - about 1 klm after taking delivery of it.
5pm one Friday, middle of Perth on St. Georges Ter. - came to a stop at the William st. lights as all the little office darlings crossing the road at the lights - - -  stopped - - and forgot to put a foot down for balance.   :eek   >:() 
Result - a slow motion tip over with bike and rider ending up on the right hand side on the road in front of dozens of sweet young things. 
I was 23 at the time so you can imagine how I felt  - could have crawled away and hidden under the nearest rock.    :-[ :-[ :-[
But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

rendog

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
I've dropped the ST once.
Yep once!
Pulled up and put my left foot in a pothole  :crackup

As for how many offs when I was learning to ride,
 :cuss well I'm not sayin

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
 :-[ 
Back in the days of my mis-spent youth,  I 'stepped off' - crashed and walked away from three BSA 650 A10 Golden Flash bikes in one week. 
I was on one weeks leave from Viet Nam (R&R) and wasn't about to be worried about wasting time repairing the bikes.
At that time they only cost about $80 each - how much are they worth these days ?  :'( :'( :'(

The folly of youth   :whistle
But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
This pushes the memory boundaries :think1
First time was on a mate's brand new Norton 650 around the early '70's. I rode it down a dirt track and tried braking into a corner, but forgot his brake was on the LEFT not the right, like my rice burner, and ended up in a blackberry bush  :rofl

Second was on my Suzuki 410 on my way home from work early one winter morning. Just came over a frosty wooden bridge and the back tyre slid in the frost, leaving me under the bike as my boss drove past.
The bugger didnt even stop to help me  :cuss

Third time was the day after I picked up my brand spanking new CB900 Hornet. Forgot to put the foot down when I stopped  :o|||

Then there was the time I pulled up over a pothole  :-[

So far the ST has remained upright! I don't think I'd be able to pick it back up so am extra careful these days :p
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love