OzSTOC Ride Reports, Pictures & Videos > RIDE REPORTS

2021-06-26 Macclesfield Ride To Eat

(1/3) > >>

:
I created yesterday's RTE in lieu of the Silverton RTE as I am still not prepared to cross any state borders.  Despite the weather, we had a good turn out for lunch.  Three ring-ins had left by the time we took group photos.

My day started with me checking out a few things I have spotted on my travels at work and thought I'll bring the bike out there one day.  The first is this huge chimney in the Adelaide CBD.  In recent times I have spotted a lot of old buildings/structures in the CBD that I have never batted an eyelid at before.

A co-worker had pointed this outside the Heart Foundation office before and to be honest from a bus window it didn't look overly impressive.  Up close was much better.

This church in Parkside is off the main drag but always catches my eye when I drive past.  From the front it is impossible to get the whole building in the one shot.  Trees are a bit of a hindrance but the houses on the opposite side of the road are too close.

I probably would never have noticed this except for having to stop at the bus stop right out the front of this house, but for some reason it has a torii (this shaped ⛩ Japanese shrine) out the front.  I wonder why. 

This replica church is in the Mount Lofty cemetry grounds in Uraidla.  I couldn't get the bike in there and the only safe place to park was on the other side of the road, otherwise I would have got some of the bike in the picture and played it in the "STs in front of small things* thread.

I rode through back streets of Saint George which were full of debris and thought the same thing Langers said about his traversing of Sturt Valley Road - probably wasn't the best idea given the weather we have had in recent days.  My only dirt road for the day was in Hahndorf (only a few hundred metres) before making my way to Littlehampton which is well know for its bricks and pavers.

Some random riders who road past when I was taking photos in Flaxley.

I already had photos of this sculpture in Macclesfield when I did the Hills Sculpture Trail on the easter weekend but after that I learned that the one in Nairne and Hahndorf swivel and this appears to have the same mechanism so i stopped to check if this too does rotate.  It does.  I dare say one of the Stirling ones does too.

No surprise the ride to the venue wasn't a straight line.  This is from my greenalp tracker.  I created a Spotwalla trip as well but like most recent trips bubbler/spotwalla missed lots of points including the 'messages' I actually sent.  I am getting tempted to uninstall both and just stick to Greenalp.

I snapped Stinky Pete and JB arriving at the venue.

It was my first time in the Maccy but I think Stinky Pete summed it up well.

--- Quote from: StinkyPete on June 26, 2021, 08:12:31 PM ---It was a cold wintery day for a short RTE into the Adelaide Hills to the historic little town of Macclesfield.   It was my first visit to this pub, and the food was great, with lots of locals present, all warmed by several open fires.   I had cold rain most of the way home, and was pleased to be safely home after riding through wet conditions through the hills twisties.   Overall, a good day out.
--- End quote ---

The ride home was rather straight.  The only rain I copped on the way home what when I hit the freeway at Stirling.  There was bits of drizzle between Green Hills Range and Aldgate but nothing too severe until I hit the freeway.

richo:
Another good read.   Thanks

Williamson:
Thanks for the pics and words BG.

--- Quote from: Bodø on June 27, 2021, 06:39:28 AM ---... in lieu of the Silverton RTE as I am still not prepared to cross any state borders ...
--- End quote ---

That's a shame as the NSW / VIC border crossings were really quite simpe in the end.  All that was needed to get into NSW was to complete an on-line declaration which stepped through various questions, if your responses complied with NSW requirements you received an email (which you were required to keep on your smart phone).  To get back into VIC, it was a similar process to get a permit. 

PC may be along soon to explain the process to back into QLD (he did seem frustrated with that when sitting in our Silverton cabin).

I'm not sure about crossings into SA.

--- Quote from: Bodø on June 27, 2021, 06:39:28 AM ---... spotted a lot of old buildings/structures in the CBD that I have never batted an eyelid at before.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've noticed that too.  For me, it's at least partially a result of travel restrictions.  As most of us are unlikely to be confident of unencumbered international travel until 2023, and the same for some interstate travel until perhaps 2022, we will need to explore and find what AUS, or our own States, have to offer.

On the way home from Silverton, I took the opportunity to explore a number of towns that I have previously ignored.  Stand by for some "where this" pics.  BTW, I seems that I'll need to provide some more clues to the locale of the Court House.

:

--- Quote from: Williamson on June 27, 2021, 09:24:29 AM ---That's a shame as the NSW / VIC border crossings were really quite simple in the end.
--- End quote ---

It's more the uncertainty of not knowing what is going to happen.  JohnnyYted had a permit to go to WA but had it revoked a couple of days ago which I presume is because he was in NSW last weekend.  I didn't want to run the risk of being locked out of SA or having to self isolate when I got back, although with the work I do it's always a risk because you don't know who has been where.

Wild Rose:
Great read Bodo  :thumb
Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version