Author Topic: NR2015 Ride Plan  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
NR2015 Ride Plan
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »
Hey all, I am looking to spend up to a couple of weeks coming back from Toowoomba and was looking for some suggestions on "must see" places.
I will be 2UP so want the ride to be interesting for Trina as well (no IBA ride ...)

So far I have a commitment in Canberra on 24th March and that is all.
Want to be home 3rd April.

Plan so far is:
22nd Esk to Brisbane (overnight at sister's place)
23rd Brisbane to Harrington NSW (Overnight at Uncle's place)
24th Harrigton to Canberra (Dinner and overnight with family)
25th Canberra to ?
26th
27th
28th ? to Melbourne
29th Melbourne to Mt Gambier - Great Ocean Road
30th Mt Gambier to Adelaide
31st Adelaide to STreaky Bay
1st   STreaky Bay to Eucla
2nd  Eucla to Norseman
3rd   Norseman to Home

Something like this as far as STreaky Bay....
https://goo.gl/maps/NHUI9
(I can't remember how to embed map with new Google Maps)

Have had the Black Spur Road suggested from out of Melbourne or coming down from Canberra.
Trina and I have done the trip straight through the guts from Perth to Toowoomba a few times so happy to go the coast.
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: NR2015 Ride Plan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:32:16 AM »
Well you have lots of Highcounty and twisty play time up your sleeve  :thumbsup

Canberra - Batemans Bay - Tathra - Cooma - Thredbo - Tallangatta - Omeo Hwy to nearly Anglers Rest - Falls Ck - Mt Beauty - Yackandandah - Beechworth (Bakery) - Mt Buffalo (Mt Horn)- Bright - Mt Hotham - Bainsdale (great pub) - Wilsons Prom - Phillip Island - Queenscliff (40 mins on Ferry, cause you can) - after the GOR - Port Macdonell in SA before you go North to Mt G.

That should fill in a few days at a tourist pace  :like

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »
Ah!  The route options are almost endless and you will likely be bombarded with so many suggestions, you may wish to unsubscribe to your own thread.

I'm not sure why you are intending to end up at Point E on your map, I'm pretty sure this is a dirt track and only suitable for Suzuki DR's and Yamaha XT's and the like. 

https://goo.gl/maps/NHUI9

There is another road over the Black Spur - Maroondah Highway between Healesville and Narbethong, https://www.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Healesville,+Victoria&daddr=Narbethong,+Victoria&hl=en&sll=-36.605471,145.469483&sspn=3.703795,7.822266&geocode=Fbtywf0dzmmsCCn9VAAwtisoazHw5owhdVYEBQ%3BFYjSwv0dXouuCCkFOyqQwCUoazFwgaAwpHkFBA&oq=narb&mra=ls&t=m&z=12

This a very popular motorcycle road, but some of the fun has been taken out with a 60km/h speed limit, heavy Police presence and lots of slow cars and a few trucks - and no overtaking opportunities with a continuous (well almost) unbroken centre-line for 20km.

Something more interesting between Bairnsdale and Melbourne is this route: There is another road over the Black Spur - Maroondah Highway between Healesville and Narbethong, https://www.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Healesville,+Victoria&daddr=Narbethong,+Victoria&hl=en&sll=-36.605471,145.469483&sspn=3.703795,7.822266&geocode=Fbtywf0dzmmsCCn9VAAwtisoazHw5owhdVYEBQ%3BFYjSwv0dXouuCCkFOyqQwCUoazFwgaAwpHkFBA&oq=narb&mra=ls&t=m&z=12.

The route avoids the Princes Highway (lots of traffic) and just generally more interesting with nice quaint townships (great pub in Briagalong, coffee shop in Maffra, bakery in Heyfield).  The section between Points G to H to I to J are the equal of the Black Spur, but with higher speed limits (mostly 100km/h), less to nil Police, and very little traffic.

I could go on and on .......

Good luck, enjoy the trip planning (that's usually a lot of fun), and enjoy the trip.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
I could only add more to this list, but you would do ok as a start.  C521 the Mansfield to Whitfield is one of the best bike roads I have ever been on, and quite scenic. You just have to ride through some of the next best roads to get there, say B500 from Lakes Entrance to Bright. 25th to 28th gives you plenty of scope.

Well you have lots of Highcounty and twisty play time up your sleeve  :thumbsup

Canberra - Batemans Bay - Tathra - Cooma - Thredbo - Tallangatta - Omeo Hwy to nearly Anglers Rest - Falls Ck - Mt Beauty - Yackandandah - Beechworth (Bakery) - Mt Buffalo (Mt Horn)- Bright - Mt Hotham - Bainsdale (great pub) - Wilsons Prom - Phillip Island - Queenscliff (40 mins on Ferry, cause you can) - after the GOR - Port Macdonell in SA before you go North to Mt G.

That should fill in a few days at a tourist pace  :like

:beer
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Williamson and Saaz ...
Point E was just a reference point for the Black Spur Road ...  not 100% fussed if I miss that. It was just suggested by a customer.
I will look at your suggestions later this evening.
Thanks again.
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Tully

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »
Sounds like a great ride. Enjoy

:blu13
Life's too short.....let's ride 😃😍😜