Author Topic: Low Volts...  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Dodgy

• ST Legend
Low Volts...
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:55:17 AM »
After Farkleing away for the last few weeks I FINALLY got to go for a ride, not a long one, about 30km.  :grin
While on the freeway about 8km from home the Tacko dropped to Zero, then the Speedo did the same and all the electrics slowed down, indicators were weak and the dash dimmed. Killing the lights helped and I limped home, Just.  :-(
Looked like the battery had died.
Ok you can get that with an unknown battery, charged up but didn't really like the load test.
New battery fitted, charging at 14.2V all good.  8)
Went for another shortish ride, again around 30km after stopping to fill the tank and again around 10km from home the Tacko then Speedo stopped working...!  :o
Killed the lights down to parkers immediately and limped home, battery/charge rate into the 11s (Volts).  :'(
I have now seen parts of my ST that I didn't want to see this early in our relationship, It would have been nice to bond over more than 300km first.
Anyway the slip ring resistance is a little more than the specks in the Haynes manual so its time for a new Alternator and all the cooling system hoses, coolant change, oil pressure switch and a few more Honda bits and pieces while placing an order.

A volt meter is also on order so I get a little warning of impending doom before the gauges drop out next time.
So if your Tacko and Speedo just decide to stop while riding, find a safe place to pull over because you won't get far before you come to a holt.
Get the credit card ready for a flogging...! :wht13

No longer a STrider, now a STowner...!!! And Now an EX STowner...! 23-11-19
IBA #63156

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Low Volts...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
Great multimeter. That will give you many good years of service.

Cheers,
Gary

sent using another of Gadget's gadgets.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
Great multimeter. That will give you many good years of service.

Nah.  It was just a fluke.   :wink1
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on this, it's always good to know what that there is some sort of indication that the power is about to go on the bike :thumbsup
(I've had this sort of thing happen to me before on another bike :fp)
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
 :dred11
Dodgy my 40amp, police alternator unceremoniously died  :fp one night about 350k's from home at 173,000ks TOTAL LOSE OF POWER, pitch black with 2 trucks I only juST passed :eek roaring along behind :well  :OldMan
I had it rewound at Macarther Auto Elecs in Campbelltown. :think1 You may be able to find an auto electrical up on the central coaST  that STill does rewinds. It worked out a couple of Hundred $$ cheaper than buying new .  :grin Its STill going STrong running HIDS LED and all the other power I use with my phone and STuff. I ride an ST1100 though..  :thumbsup
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

The following users thanked this post: Dodgy

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
(I've had this sort of thing happen to me before on another bike :fp)
Me too. A Ducati. Sorry Dale.  :grin
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

The following users thanked this post: DaleMcLean

Offline Dodgy

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
When I say  "limped home, Just", she stalled at a roundabout when I let the revs drop to idle and had to push her for about 50 metres until I had enough momentum and a (VERY) slight decline to clutch start her, not even a starter solenoid chatter to begin with. :'(
Being a "White one" with full headlight control, I managed to get her home, otherwise I would have been sidelined with a couple of Km's to go.
As extensively documented on the net (if you are looking for it), there is no warning that the alternator is struggling/failing as in no idiot light on the dash. The first indication is the ABS light comes on (not so visible in broad daylight) then the dashboard shuts down just before the engine starts playing up and soon stops.  :'(
The good news is my GI works great as does the cruise control, The Top Box is fine, the Aux lights appear to be Ok and I do like the note from the Delkevic pipes.  :grin

It is never JUST a Fluke ... Yes had it for a while now that the metre won't get pinched or trashed at work.  8)
Hope to get to the NSW Jan RTE if the parts arrive in time, if not you might have a random visit of a Blackbird  :grin
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:16:26 PM by Dodgy »
No longer a STrider, now a STowner...!!! And Now an EX STowner...! 23-11-19
IBA #63156

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Online johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
 :dred11
Hope to get to the NSW Jan RTE if the parts arrive in time, if not you might have a random visit of a Blackbird  :grin
Random Blackbirds are welcome on all OzSTOC RTE's, in fact any brand is welcomed. Dodgy  ;-*
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Dodgy