Author Topic: Oxford grips with relay  (Read 1488 times)

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
Oxford grips with relay
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
Hi all.I just fitted a 5 pin relay (normally open) to my oxford grips and the 5 amp fuse blows after switching the ignition on and off a couple of times I've wired it up as pin 87 to oxford controller.Pin 85 to tail light.Pin 86 to earth and Pin 30 power from ignition.I know l could have wired it straight to the battery as the controller has a battery saver shutting it down if left on hence me fitting the relay.Have I wired it up wrong?

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
Re: Oxford grips with relay
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
Where is the 5 amp fuse connected. ie is it between the battery and pin 30, or pin 87 and oxford?.
Allan

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
The fuse is between the grips and pin 87. I've picked up the power from an ignition wire under the  left side cover

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »
It would be better to place the fuse on the other side of the relay, ie pin 30, as it would then protect all of your wiring from a short to ground. However, that wont have any effect on the problem of the fuse blowing. Its possibly due to some surge occurring at startup so I'd suggest trying the following:
- Disconnect the wire going to the tail light. Switch on the ignition and then use another piece of wire from pin 85 and alternately connect and disconnect from the battery. ie turn the relay on and off manually waiting several seconds between each connect/disconnect.
- Take the relay out of the circuit altogether and, using another piece of wire alternately connect the grips directly to the battery and disconnect. Again waiting several seconds between each connect/disconnect.

Allan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:22:20 AM by cravenhaven »

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
30 is Pos, 85 is Neg, 86 is the switch (Ignition), 87 the device (Lights, Grips, etc) & don't worry about 87A......fuse in 30 close to Battery. 5 amp may be a little light on too for full heat setting.

cheers

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Hi guys.Fixed.the fuse was too small. And the wiring was up the creek.thanks to both of you for your help .cheers Brian