General Category > General Discussion

Driving an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne / the Downsides of EVs

<< < (24/30) > >>

ruSTynutz:
Scalextric or Aurora AFX?  :popcorn

Williamson:

--- Quote from: Shillas on May 04, 2024, 09:16:08 AM ---... if I really push them into a corner, they can fly off the track and get stuck under the sofa....

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reminder, I must go a dig-out, and then set-up, the slot cars sets for the grandkids.  These vids are around 9 year now, there have been five more grandies since then.  I'm pretty sure it will be fun for the little ones, and old one.

https://youtu.be/mlAmIRfnHz8?si=QkPrq-JCTt4kKWuD

https://youtu.be/E_-36ZFaLuk?si=8NMI-MoqPQvUFhsi

That little bloke in the vids is Edward (now 15 yo).  Here he is with his little (12 yo) brother, who is now taller than Helen, pic from last Christmas.

--- Quote from: ruSTynutz on May 04, 2024, 09:53:46 AM ---Scalextric or Aurora AFX?  :popcorn

--- End quote ---

Aurora AFX - I think there's around six or so sets.

ruSTynutz:

--- Quote from: ruSTynutz on February 03, 2024, 10:38:45 PM ---As for buying one...if Sue & I buy a new car in the foreseeable future it certainly won't be an EV for the following reasons...

Price - paying probably an extra $20,000 over the top of an equivalent ICE vehicle would definitely be out of the question.
Driving Range - with my current car offering around twice the range of an EV why would I want to go for something with way less? I suffer enough range anxiety with my ST1300 at times...lol.
Charging Costs - While people with EVs skite about being able to charge their EV at home for free it's not actually free if you've had to spend probably 20 grand installing solar panels and a battery just so you can do it.
Also, with recent soaring charging costs there doesn't seem to be much difference between that and what it would cost for fuel these days.
Lost time while charging an EV - When I do a road trip I often just want to get to where I'm going in the quickest possible time with the bare minimum of stops and having to possibly wait for access to a charger and the time spent charging means I won't be able to travel as far in a day as I would in my diesel.
Road Tax - With currently no road tax on EVs it's only a matter of time before the Federal Government introduces one which will obviously decrease any advantage an EV MAY have over a ICE vehicle.
Towing - I like to tow a trailer at times and yes, I know I could do that with an EV but that greatly reduces its traveling range, something that is way less of an issue with an ICE vehicle.
Heating & Cooling - Using either in an EV is going to reduce driving range, using either in my diesel makes basically no difference to its fuel consumption.
Cheers  :beer

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ruSTynutz on February 07, 2024, 02:47:52 PM ---Just an add-on as to why I wouldn't buy an EV...

Replacement Battery Cost - The cost of replacing the battery in an EV can cost you an arm & a leg...
I'm sure anyone with the slightest interest in EVs has heard about the Canadian Hyundai Ioniq 5 owner being charged 60,000 Canadian dollars to have his EV battery replaced?
That's not a misprint...That works out to be something like $68,000 Aussie dollars!
Since then another Ioniq 5 owner has come out and confirmed the replacement cost is indeed C$60,000... >:()

--- End quote ---

Yet more add-ons... :whistle

No spare tyre - The vast majority of EVs don't come with a spare.  :||||
Depreciation - EVs depreciate faster than an ICE car...

cravenhaven:
https://www.mynrma.com.au/electric-vehicles/owning/cost-to-replace-ev-battery#:~:text=A%20recent%20real%2Dlife%20example,RWD%2C%20for%20just%20under%20%2417%2C000.

cravenhaven:
Many new cars are ditching the spare. It'll soon be common across all manufacturers:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/61152/car-manufacturers-ditch-spare-tyres#:~:text=A%20number%20of%20manufacturers%20don,cars%20use%20run%2Dflat%20tyres.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version