Author Topic: cheap ebay Blue Tooth intercoms...anyone tried them?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline AliSTair

cheap ebay Blue Tooth intercoms...anyone tried them?
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
Hi All,

Im thinking about purchasing a sena SMH10 twin pack...but at close to $400 Im wondering if a cheaper alternative might do the job...there are a range of  no-name suppliers on ebay that manufacture these things, with a twin pack typically available  for around $120. Has anyone had any experience with one of these sets?

Im predominantly wanting it to communicate with pillion, though the ability to listen to music, phone calls and chat with other riders are appealing features.

Cheers

Al :bl11

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: cheap ebay Blue Tooth intercoms...anyone tried them?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
I tried a couple of the ebay cheapies, you get  what you pay for.

The ebay units that I tried couldnt be heard over 60 Ks.

The Sena have great volume, great battery life and great range. Its easy to set them up to talk to other bikes and can talk at 110Ks at a distance of 500mtrs or more.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
I had a couple of the $60 to $70 Aldi Bluetooth headsets. As Brock said they are OK at low speed bur once the speed comes up they are unusable.

When I first got the Aldi unit O didn't have Earmould ear plugs. Once I got the Earmoulds there wasn't enough volume and it was a choice of bluetooth or Earmoulds.
Recently I bought the Interphone F5MC ($290) quick had heaps of volume and good battery life.
As Brock said, you get what you pay for.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline AliSTair

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »
ok, looks like the cheapies are not up to the job...Im just using normal disposable earplugs...will these be suitable with the speakers mounted in the helmet?

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
Currently using this one which Heather bought on ebay a couple years ago. http://www.climder.com/C3/2.html

Good for up to 90 k/h but the air flow around the helmet makes it hard to hear above that. Bluetooth to phone for GPS/Music is ok though if not playing music you miss the first bit of a GPS instruction. I've had one call from Heather on it and it answers within 5 seconds and hangs up and returns to music when call ends.

It's good enough for what we want it for and it's better than having stereo ear plugs which keep falling out of my ears as I put the helmet on. I have a new Tom Tom GPS but not sure if it will pair with the intercom though it will pair with a phone for live traffic updates.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »
Chris,
I'm looking at the Sena20s. It's a bit pricey but I have friends that use the g9 and the Sena. The 20s you can pair to all units.
Cheers Aj
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
Chris,
I'm looking at the Sena20s. It's a bit pricey but I have friends that use the g9 and the Sena. The 20s you can pair to all units.
Cheers Aj

SMH10 can do that to  :wink1 up to 4 units I believe but maybe even 8 with the upgrade ??
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
I bought a pair of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BT-interphone-Bluetooth-Motorbike-Motorcycle-helmet-intercom-Headset-500M-Black-/321832490992?hash=item4aeeb617f0 off eBay around five or six years ago, and found them pretty good.

I suffer badly from wind noise and buffeting, and wear (insert?) earplugs whilst riding.  The BT unit's volume was adequate even with the earplugs.  One time on the Calder Freeway sitting around 110m/h (Mmmmm.....may have been a bit faster), sitting behind the ST13's raised screen, I took a call on the mobile and could hear the caller (no. 1 son) very clearly.  When I said I had to terminate the call because was doing 110km/h on the bike, he said that he had no idea, the reception was crystal clear.

Anyway, the BT's bit the dust, I think I cooked the battery on one through charging with wrong charger.  I bought a replacement, and then another one bit the dust - sometimes I'm a slow learner.

I now have a pair of Sena 20S, thanks to Father Xmas and Mrs W.  These are much better, and the in-built FM radio and voice-activated intercom are real bonuses.

If you are interested, I reckon I could scrounge enough pieces for one good unit for you to try.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better