Author Topic: STrangers BR41 and Aussie Adventure Ride Report,  (Read 1781 times)

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
STrangers BR41 and Aussie Adventure Ride Report,
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
 :dred11 :blk11
G’day OzSTOCers here’s a Ride Report covering my BR17 and STrangers Aussie Adventure.
During the weeks before AuguST I had prepared STranger for the Border Run 17 doing a FR12 FarRide. On the 1ST  AuguST I had a new tyre, Michelin PR3 fitted to the rear, checked all my luggage and necessities I’d need , oil and water etc, ensured all everything was secure, checked nuts and bolts, lights and waited impatiently for my departure time on the 3rd.
I ended up leaving on the 2nd and caught up with friends in Wagga Wagga overnight, to lessen the ride the following day to Barmera S.A., my planned firST STop on my trip. I know, really 2nd STop now. After a good feed and conversation catching up with Phil and Maureen and a cooked breakfaST, refueling at Gumly Gumly, I left Wagga around 9am heading into STormy skies and had a good run til about 10 mins out when the heavens above gave STranger a good bath, but I was warm and dry with the Zarkie heated gear that I had recently purchased and my wet gear. I crossed the Hay Plains and the rain STopped  juST after Hay but STarted again soon after and it rained on and off all day. I refueled at Balranald and headed off to Mildura and had lunch then on to Renmark and Barmera SA, arriving juST after dark where I refueled before I checked in to my room at The Barmera Lakes Resort for 2 nights, and enjoyed a good night’s sleep and lazy day relaxing with an early bedtime before my 11pm check out and the STart of my FR12 across the width of South AuSTralia to Border Village 1317k’s. 10pm I’d been awake for a few hours, so I decided to once again leave earlier (1hr) than planned. The skies were clear, the forcaST was for occasional showers and I’d been watching BOM following a very STormy night across Adelaide. I figured I could miss the rain if I left now.  I made sure all the Zarkie Venture Heated clothing was on and locked the door behind me, threw my leg over STranger and was off into the night. I’d bought 2 sets of driving lights and was sampling the 60w spots on this leg. They we’re doing what I wanted, offset to light the roadsides to show any wildlife lurking there.  At Morgan I STopped  to adjuST the lights and headed off again towards Port AuguSTa, thru a shower at Spalding then a short STop at CrySTal Brook to get my bearing and have a leak.  Port Pirie joined the A1 in the wee hours and arrived at P.A around 3am, STopping for a coffee, refuel and short break off STranger.
Leaving P.A I had roo’s and wildlife on my mind but I didn’t see any. 20k’s or so before Kimba I was slowed by thick fog, down to 40kph I followed the fog line until it cleared out the other side of town, not an ideal time for a pic at the ‘halfway across’ sign.  I enjoyed the early morning ride weST with the sun rising behind me, to Ceduna where I STopped for a hearty breakfaST, coffee and STretch. Next STop Poochera to top up the tank before heading onto the Nullabor where I STarted to see others heading to Border Village. There was fun to be had crossing Nullabor and about 60 k’s from BV I saw my fuel needle was low so I backed off and cruised along as the needle fell lower and lower and so did my speed. In 10 years of owning STranger I have never seen the fuel light come on so I  was hoping to make it or find out if it worked, I had 5ltrs in my pannier so I wasn’t worried about making it on time. A number of riders slowed down paST me to check I was ok.   I arrived at BV pulled up to the bowser to fill up STranger only to find he could only take 25.35ltrs. I don’t think the fuel light works.
After many greetings of other FarRiders I checked in then caught up with STinky Pete, Langers, Bodo, Yorkie, LindsayGT, Wombat, Debbie, aussiexs and WeST Aussie Glen. We chatted and pics were taken of both FarRiders and the OzSTOC contingent.  Alan had left to return to Heather while I was inside checking in to my room. Bodo had ridden on to Eucla so he missed the photo shots.
After lots of chat then dinner and FR STuff I headed to bed to get an early STart. I had a change of plans from riding back to Ceduna with STinky Pete and Langers, inSTead choosing to follow WAG Glen back to Port AuguSTa, which I enjoyed following someone else for a change. We had a good run STopping firST at Nullabor to top up the Wing and STranger then again at Penong and Ceduna where lunch was welcome. Then on to Kimba for fuel before riding the laST leg to Port AuguSTa, where we checked into our motels across from each other. We had said our goodbye’s at Kimba so this was the laST I would have company on my epic Aussie Adventure. My room at the Port AuguSTa courtyard motel was clean and the bed was comphy, they said they were upgrading me but upon checking my booking found it the room I’d booked. The hot water sure got a workout soothing my tired muscles…   
The next morning, Monday, I woke to a sunny day and looked forward to heading up the STuart Hwy north. I had my included breakfaST and got STranger ready to head out well after sun up, having been warned of the kangaroo population north of P.A. Today was to be as planned my shorteST ride day of the whole trip, juST 589 k’s to Coober Pedy. I STopped at a roadside picture STop where a couple from Tasmania who were caravanning offered me coffee and I accepted and had a good ol’ chinwag about my adventure. They were Can Am Spider riders and Ulyssians on holidays..    At Pimba the next fuel STop after filling Stranger with unleaded, I went in to pay and was told that the lady before me had paid for my pump. The checkout chick then said I would have to pay her diesel pump $74 odd to which I replied “no way” I said I’d pay my $26.61 or leave as my fuel was paid for. They tried to insiST I pay the diesel and I told them NO! they then asked me to locate the woman and get her to pay her diesel fuel. I found the woman and all was sorted and I could leave after about 30 mins all up. What a hassle… why me, I should have juST left as my fuel was paid. I made a few scenic STops before arriving at Coober Pedy to admire the viSTas of our beautiful AuSTralian Outback. We truly have a wonderful country full of natures beauty. STopping in Coober Pedy I had booked an underground room, how could I choose anything else. I checked in then went for a walk to get some food. I found John’s Pizzeria and had an Emu pizza which was different and enjoyable. I then retired back to the dug out to enjoy its peace and quiet, and the darkness from a lack of windows. I slept like a baby there, waking up unaware of whether it was night or day outside, got up and had breakfaST before heading north again closer to Darwin.
The road north from Coober Pedy was fun and I enjoyed the ride STopping to top up at Marla, Elrunda and then we entered the Northern Territory and 130kph limits and onto Alice Springs, where I spent the night. Up before the sun I had breakfaST in the dinning/kitchen area before taking sunrise pics with STranger without his panniers. After Alice the roads were very tempting and STranger got to STretch his legs, fueling up at Barrow Creek and again at Tennant Creek. Gee whiz, we used a bit more fuel on this leg but sure got there faST, STranger took it all in his STride and purred along happily. Lucky Mr Plod wasn’t out, as I forgot to let STranger know the speed limits had been reduced again.. . I STarted looking for a room early after Tennant Creek well before dark but everywhere was full so I ended up doing a long day (1001k’s) and with Wendy’s help managed to get a room at the Pink Panther Hotel, Larrimah, almost 500k’s further from where I STarted to lQQk. I met some local weSTies from ST Marys near where I grew up and they were all riders. They were impressed with STranger and the k’s on the clock and 1 of them said he’d juST got himself the new bagger ST1300.. he raved on to his mates about the V4 Honda motor and kept me talking till late. When all I wanted was to put my head down..
Up before the sun about 4 am I had a hot shower then attached the tank bag and hit the road well before sun up. I wasn’t worried about the wildlife and rode to Mataranka Roadhouse juST as they opened. I STopped there for coffee and bacon n eggs, and chatted with a few locals before heading of towards Darwin some 400k’s away. I arrived in Darwin to meet Wendy in the city then found my way to her home.
Wendy was a wonderful host and provided me with a comfortable bed, great food and hospitality. I ventured out around Darwin the next day and went and watched Danae play hockey that evening. Saturday I went with Wendy, Danae and the 2 Indonesian school boys that were at Wendy’s in to see the sights of Darwin and enjoyed their company at a waterside eatery. I planned to leave late Sat night so I changed the 60w spots to the new 72w floods to compare them and after Wendy arrived home from work we took flag pics with STranger and Wendy’s Baby green ST, before I was led out of Darwin at 11.30pm.
I travelled thru the night without seeing wildlife roaming on the highways STopping for fuel as needed and lunch at Threeways, then Barkly HomeSTead, fuel and a cap, then into Queensland at Camoweal and at 5.30pm I arrived at Mt Isa where I STayed in a mining camp accommodation hut. Once again gave the hot water a good run on my sore muscles. After a good sleep I once again was ready to hit the road after a full fresh cooked BreakfaST, and taking more sunrise pics of the morning rays over STranger. I fuelled up in Isa and headed east into the sun and behind a long group of caravaners who were plucked off at every chance. I had a fun ride east heading for the coast and after 1200odd k’s arrived at my cousins place in Cape Hillsborough, at 10pm. Kris my cousin has always led me aSTray and soon I was laughing and crying into 1 of many Jim Beams I had before Staggering into bed at 5 am.  9 am I was up again and the only way to ease my head was to have another drink, which continued all day till bedtime.  As most people know I don’t usually drink but I was influenced and corrupted by my cousin.
I think it was Thursday when I caught up with Scarlet Thunderbolt and Kate in Cape Hillsborough for coffee and chats, and spoke a little of the 2018 National Rally location around beautiful Mackay. It’s a great location and I think for those who travel to FNQ will be another memorable rally location.
Friday morning, I began heading south towards home next STop was Gundia juST north of Gympie and spent the night seeing Kitty Flanagan (comedian) at the Brolga Theatre in Maryborough and catching up with longtime friends into the wee hrs. Then I journeyed via Woolooga and Widgee to STop in on the farm I’d lived at for 10yrs to reminisce some of the best times of my life. I then caught up with other friends before heading down the Bruce to Narangbah on the outskirts of Brisbane, where I had dinner with my nephew and his new girlfriend and spent the night.
Sunday morning a short ride to Redcliffe where the Qld’ers had a breakfaST RTE in my honor. Shiney, Carroll, STimpy and Gadget were there and we enjoyed the fare at the Coffee Club. During the morning I had a lovely surprise when another cousin tapped me on the shoulder. I was not expecting to see Beth but she had been following my journey on spot and Facebook and seen the OzSTOC RTE poST so decided to drive up from the other side of Brisbane to see me. I had planned on seeing her after my return from Russell Island..  After breakfaST Doug aka STimpy led me through the north Brisbane suburbs along the waterfronts to the Russell Island ferry wharf at Redland Bay to put STranger aboard to visit a friend, Rex, who recently moved down from the sunny coaST.  While on Russell Is. I got to ride a Spyder, that was fun but would take a little while to get used to, but if I had to I could see a Spyder in my STable.
I caught the 1 pm ferry back to the mainland Monday afternoon and because cousin Beth was working till later I headed across to the New England via Cunninghams Gap for the final leg of my journey. I STopped in at Guyra where Chris and Jean offered me dinner, coffee and we chatted about my trip, Mackay and STrangler, before I headed off south in 2deg, intending to STop overnight in Tamworth. All the motels had NO vacancy lit up so I trudged on, getting to Singleton at 2 am where I made the decision to ride the Putty Rd once more overnight. I was so glad I had put on my Zarkie Venture Heated gear and was plugged in as it got very cold. I also finally STarted seeing roo’s, I had been thinking they had all been eaten, as I saw very few on this ride, and kept a vigilant watch for them, finally arriving home in Picton at 5.55am, tired and sore. I opened the gate but couldn’t  get a good footing when I tried to get STranger of the sideSTand so I ended up leaving him in the driveway and went inside, home after 11,561k’s, 21days with 16 days riding 5 days reST. And with a big grin on my face.
This ride was never intended as a sightseeing trip. I needed a long ride and that’s what it was. I visited every mainland STate and the Northern Territory and even an Island of the mainland. I thoroughly enjoyed every millimeter of every kilometer of this ride. STranger never missed a beat and performed as he should as a great Long DiSTance Touring m/cycle.  I enjoyed the wonderful scenery of our great Outback and would do it all again, this time without time reSTraint and on STrangler, my ST1300 and I would take in more of the touriST sites along the way.
I muST give credit to Brian Crawford who helped get the Bubbler App working properly allowing people to follow my SPOT, thank you Brian.
Pics will be posted along with these 4 pages of ramblings on the OzSTOC Facebook page as I haven’t yet joined another hoSTing site after the Photobucket changes.
From STranger and I thanks for reading my ramblings and lQQk out for my next adventure in our great country.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:37:08 PM by johnnyYTED »
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Bluey, Jdbiker

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
Re: STrangers BR41 and Aussie Adventure Ride Report,
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
Great RR and catch up... See you again at Wooli. Cheers, John & Kate.
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

Online Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
What an adventure :like :like. Thanks for sharing 🤓
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Great read thanks Johnny  :-++

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline STraya

• STraya. Life’s too short for traffic”
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
Great ride report for a great big ride. Inspiring reading.  Thanks. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STraya  (Dave)   FarRider 515.    Ulysses 28892
And it’s something quite peculiar; something shimmering and white!”

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
 :thumbs. Great reading.   Looks like a lot of good memories were made. 
Richo

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
Awesome RR mate, thanks for sharing the adventure with us :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline denis

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
WOW, What a trip. Thanks for sharing. Denis, Diane.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
thanks for the report, enjoyed the read, apologies for not being able to catch up when you came through
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456