Author Topic: Steering bearing replacement help  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Oddjob

Steering bearing replacement help
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
I have the dreaded notch in the steering head (1100) so it is time to replace the crappy Honda bearings with tapered rollers. I have read on the My-Mc forum that in the US they have a kit doing the rounds to make the job easy. Does anyone in Australia have such a beast and be willing to send it to Perth, at my expense of course. The most valuable bit of the kit is the threaded press to get one of the bearings into the shaft.
Thanks, Geoff.

Brian: "You are all individuals".
Crowd: "Yes, we are all individuals"...
Little bloke at the back: "I'm not..."

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Steering bearing replacement help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »
Geoff et al...

You do not need any special tools (presuming that OEM rollers are insitu), u will need Long drift punch to knock out the ball bearing outer cases from the head stock.

The outer taperred rollers are evenly tapped / hamered into where the outer roller cases came from.

The LOWER inner OEM case can be either ground off of chiseled (u need to really know how to chisel) from the lower triple clamp shaft...use a dremmel.

Then the new lower tappered roller bearing can be heated (GENTLE!!!), while the triple clamp has spent 40 minutes in the freezer...the new bearing will simply fall on with minimal effort...use a press only if u have the correct spacers so not to damage bearing...MOST important be sure the bearing is the right way round ie large side lowest.

Torque the same as for OEM, from memory 15 foot/lbs.

The top seal you remove does NOT go back.

U can get these bog stnd bearings from CBC...google for part numbers or I'll post em when l get home

Ciao the can :)

Offline Oddjob

Re: Steering bearing replacement help
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
Thanks for that, I'm waiting on delivery from Qld, so will be giving it a go next week.
Brian: "You are all individuals".
Crowd: "Yes, we are all individuals"...
Little bloke at the back: "I'm not..."