Author Topic: When you went for your MC licence....  (Read 25402 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
When you went for your MC licence....
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
 :law :law :law         PLEASE EXPLAIN!

You hear all sorts of stories about how the local police sergeant stood out in the carpark and said "Righto - ride around that bin and stop in front of me!.... OK sign here - you're done!"     :law

And the licence was issued.

Well.... In my day it wasn't so easy. I had two instructors buzzing around me in traffic after they told me (and one other on a full-faired Beemer) the route to take to get out to a carpark they had set up with cones for me to do slow right angled turns, slalom, parking etc. Whilst performing a right angle manouvre (in an area not much bigger than the bike) the Beemer rider tipped over and was immediately 'dismissed' to try again another day after some practice. I was left there by myself with two eagle eyed officianados watching my every move!

I got through the test without loss except for one thing. I had to perform an emergency stop and locked the back wheel for literally 2/10ths of a second (40cm). I let the brake off and reapplied it and still stopped within the required distance, but I was made to do it again perfectly AND I lost 5 out of my 8 points for this indiscretion! Oh yes, they made sure I COULD ride and control the machine before they signed off on me.

It was a well earned licence. I was required to do the 'Stay Upright' safety course as part of the process as well.

Should have seen their faces when I showed up on this to do my licence test - (well - it WAS my bike!)...

A 1979 full faired CB900F Bol D'or - YEAH BABY!

She looked stoopid with "L" plates on her - I was glad to 'make it right"      :grin

You'd have to have a good story too eh? Let's hear it! What bike? Easy or Hard? How many times did you do the test?

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: When you went for your MC licence....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
I got my license after I bought a Bike, a 1997 Kawasaki 250 ninga

I bought the bike off a police officer who promptly booked me after buying it for riding on a learners license, I have always found that funny for some reason....

My test was much like diesels but I only had one fellow testing me, if I remotely made an error stopping, turning, parking, he made me go back around time after time after time until it was perfect, I didn't fail though, and yes I still paid my fine. And I only had to do my test once!

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
I can't remember the exact year I got my bike licence but it was sometime around 1975/6 and I would have been 20/21.

The bike belonged to a nurse who was a friend of my girl-friend way back then. The bike a Honda CB 175 Twin (1969-73) was up for sale for about $500 so I bought it to use to and from work. Getting the "L" plate was easy as I had a car licence and was just a matter of applying for a bike learners permit.

Sometime within 3 months I went for the test which was simply a ride around the block. Including leaving and entering the car park at the registration office I had 6 LH turns to do. The tester followed me on his bike for the length of the on-road test. All I needed to do was use appropriate signals etc. when required and not be a danger to anyone else on the road. I passed.

Back in those days in SA it was teach your self and learn by your mistakes and I'm still here........lol

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:58:28 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
I bought a Suzuki 80 in 1967 in Newcastle.  I had a car licence and just had to answer a few questions to get the bike permit.
Rode around for a while, then went to the Motor Registry, rode around the block (by myself) and was given the licence to do what I liked.  No P plates in those days.  Promptly got booked for failing to signal a left turn.  Can't remember why, but had to go to Court.  Rode the bike into the city to Court and had the licence suspended for 3 months.  Told the beak I needed a dispensation to ride home and he complimented me on my confidence and told me to walk.  Pushed the bike around the corner and rode home.
I'm much better behaved these days!!
Mine was blue.  There's more tales to tell, but they'll wait.

You'll notice real men had kick starters in those days (Streak!)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:24:05 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
Sat my test in the UK in 1964 on a 200cc Triumph Tiger Cub.

Examiner, who is on foot, sets you a route through the middle of the city and runs around 'spying' on you at various points. At some point he jumps out in front of you and holds up his hand (Emergency Stop and you're not allowed to stall the engine or loose control) and then you continue on to the end. Happy  to say that I passed 1st time. :hatwave

A friend of mine was doing his test on a red BSA C15 and was stopped by a Motorcycle Patrolman :law part way through. Whilst he was explaining to the copper that he was on a test, someone ran around the corner and told the copper that there had just been an accident down a side street. :eek

The copper took off to attend the accident. My mate put his helmet and gloves back on and followed his set route. He turned down one street and discovered his Examiner under another red BSA C15. The poor rider had been riding along, minding his own business, when some silly bugger jumped out and stuck up his hand totally unexpected to the rider who promptly cleaned him up.  :fp My mate was given his licence but we never heard what happened to the other rider.  :-[

Dave                                                       :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
I went to the local cop shop in a borrowed Datsun 120Y, did the written test then drove down the main street, did a centre park (straight through, in , out) did a blockie back to the cop shop, handed a car and open bike licence at the same time. The local cop knew I rode dirt bikes so he just wrote it out. My brother was pissed off as he did his a year earlier and had to ride through town with the cops following.. and he had to spend a year on a 250cc restriction. :wink1
I then started riding on the road on an XL250.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
Did mine in UK as well back when Pontius was still in flight school. Four examiners at the four corners of a big square car park on a Saturday morning. Masses of traffic and one examiner jumping out from behind a public toilet to force the emergency stop. Stupid,ludicrous way to do anything but I passed and I'm still riding, even though I've come off a few times and put myself in hospital more than once!

Stay upright!!

Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
 :think1 :think1 Much the same as Biggles and Alan. Around '80 or '81 on a Honda CB400/4  :thumbsup

Got told to "ride around the block" when I got back the guy was already inside writing it out  :rofl.

BUT I saw the Light in '86 and became an instructor and (hopefully) saved a few hundred from the same "learning curve"  :grin
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:18:24 AM »
Was 1974 and I was posted to "Battle Wing"JTC Canungra. A group of us went for our License at the the same time. One of our blokes had a 250 Honda and after doing the written test we had to go to the bottom of the hill outside the cop shop, turn round without putting any foot on the ground and ride back up to the cop shop?

So 3 of us did it and the 4th or 5th bloke got to the bottom of the hill turned round and stops and started waving his hands? We all runs down and it turns out the bikes run out of petrol? So we push the bike back up the hill and the local sergeant  gives everyone their licence, the owner of the bike, jumps on the bike, turns the tap to reserve and drives the bike back to camp :rofl

The next day or 2, I gets me a Yammy TX 500. Hmmmmmmmmm now how kool is this?????? It had a Disk Brake on the front

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »
 :wht11 py

It was about 67/68 in Rotorua NZ on a 350 Kwaka .... went down to the lake front and back ..job done
about 1/2 a mile, 2 left, 2 right turns, 1 360 and 1 U- turn (and the eyes' popped  :-[ )

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Dick B "Yewie"

• Sydney NSW
  • Switched to a 2015 Yamaha Tracer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
I was a late starter and did the full "Stay Upright" bit now required in NSW which involved three intensive half day schools with lots of roadcraft lectures and heaps of slow stuff with witches hats etc. Road test was over 1 hour with instructor following. I always recommend this to older riders returning to the saddle after many years. I had never ridden before (at 57)  and I found this program invaluable and has stood me in good stead ever since. I even now remember and apply things I was taught. I did it together with my eighteen year old son and we both passed first time (I would never have lived it down if he had passed and I didn't) but heaps failed and had to do it again. I rode my 250cc Kwaka Super Sherpa which I still have and enjoy riding. I have since done the "Stay Upright" advanced course at Eastern Creek raceway on my old Bonnie (Pre ST1300) over a full day. That was fantastic

Dick B :rd13
"Yewie"

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
I did my Licence on a Kwaka Z250 in Midland WA around 1980. The test was pretty easy, with a bit of riding around white dots painted on the ground, an emergency stop and then out on to the road (Stalled the bike on the way to the road, but thanks to electric start I dindt have to stop and kick start [a fail]). Further down the road, had to do a stop, park the bike, then start and do a hill start and back to collect licence. A similar thing 18 mths later on a Suzi 650 shaft drive Katana.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »

It was about 67/68 in Rotorua NZ on a 350 Kwaka .... went down to the lake front and back ..job done
about 1/2 a mile, 2 left, 2 right turns, 1 360 and 1 U- turn (and the eyes' popped  :-[ )

Tipsy

And did the Examiner require you to drop the bike to qualify?    :crackup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Got mine via the Qride system.
My history.....only been riding for 6 years.
Rode a 125 farm bike a couple of times as a teenager.
Did it thru a Qride bike shop.
First lesson on a 250 around the car park.
The rest of lessons on a VT750C and more car park riding.
2 lessons actually riding on the road.
Then the Qride day course which gave me the slip of paper to present to the Transport Department.

All waaaaaaaaaay too easy in my opinion. :-(((

That's scary!
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
I have been riding since I was about 5, down on the farm. my lerners permit consisted of wathching a 5 minute video then the written test, which I failed the first attempt, the instructor said "you only failed by 1 point, go to the RTA and do it again" which I did, the practical test was conducted on a 1973 Honda XL 250.
myself & three others followed the instructor to a small car park which had whiches hats already set up.
I was first up, pulled up to the line and was told "straight ahead 40kph front brake only emergency stop" fine except when I applied the front brake I must have hit some loose gravel, the front wheel locked and started to slide, not wanting to drop my bike I stood her up on the back wheel down the car park turned around whent back to the assessor and said can I start that again?
I was then told "see that tree? go sit under it" after about 5-10 minutes he came over and asked how long I had been riding, then said you are a smart arse but you passed.
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »
I sat for both my car and bike license tests, Friday afternoon after school, 29th July 1968, my 17th birthday at the Hurstville Police Station (a suburb in Sydney).
It was also the last day in NSW that police did the license tests in Sydney, after that you had to go to the motor registry.
I did the bike test on my 1948, 98cc, two speed James. I don't remember much about it but passed.
I did the car test in my Austin A30 Estate Car. When asked to do a reverse park, I thought oh dear (or words to that effect) I haven't done one before, ended up failing my car license for slipping the car into neutral just before pulling up at a corner.   This was a disaster because not only did I not get my car license on my birthday I had to pay for a another car permit and pay for my bike license which would had been free if I had passed the car license and got both together.
I don't remember much about my next car license test at the motor registry but passed it. This time I think I did it in my fathers Peugeot 403.
Both the James and the A30 had been basket cases abandoned by my older brothers that I had rebuilt almost from the ground up. The James was a classic, the gear change was via a lever operated by your left thumb while pulling in the clutch and had a two stroke Villiers engine with an exposed  flywheel. I also remember that I would get almost a full tank of two stroke mix fuel for 20 cents. The A30 while mechanically very sound was not pretty, the duco was a hand brushed coat of red oxide primer which may not have impressed the Policeman when I first sat for my test.
This is a similar James
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=1948+James+motorcycle&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4SKPB_enAU387AU388&biw=1280&bih=550&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=bvYGNUOr0Mf6rM:&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.ws/famousjamesmotorcycles/FJM1948JamesComet.htm&docid=ceYGNrJlT7SLAM&imgurl=http://www.geocities.ws/famousjamesmotorcycles/images/1948jamescomettrailor.JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=29AIUJSXHo-fmQWcwLilCg&zoom=1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:07:34 PM by West Aussie Glen »
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
1976 I got the learners permit and bike licence (car licence came a few years later) on my Honda CD175 (one of my sisters bought it new and it had been through a few members of the family).  Went to the police station, was told to go around the block while the paperwork was filled out. As I made it back, I passed.

Reminds me of the time I transferred registration from ACT to Victoria (far cheaper at the country rate) while at university.  It was pouring rain at the time I went for the roadworthy (a GT750 Suzuki that I bought in Canberra to replace the CD175), and bloke just did the paperwork as he reckoned the bike must be ok if I was able to ride around in the rain. Ah, the good old days..but I wish now that there was rider training more available back then as it would have made riding a lot safer that the suck it and see approach.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
Did both my car and bike on same day in 1975. Took copper round the block in car and had to ride bike to corner and back, easy. The cop knew I came from a farm and asked how long I had been driving? 'Since I was nine' seemed be the correct answer and I walked out with paper for the Motor Registry, paid the money and away!
 Hey Glen, this was NSW on 4th December 1975 and the cops still did it then.

:bl11

Offline Rob Mc

• 2008 ST 1300
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
I did not start riding until I was 50 some 15 years ago. Did the full test along with four other young blokes and it was the worst day of my life . I was no where ready to go for it , but I have never failed in anything I have attempted so there was no question I would pass with flying colours .
So before each of us took of for our test , (off set cones , tight turns , emergency stops ,  ) the examiner said that when each rider returns from the test and I give the thumbs up it would be nice if you gave the rider a bit of a hand clap and congratulate him.
The first three young blokes took off and passed easily , flipping through the cones, stopping on a dime and as each one returned from the test we would give them a hand and congratulations.
I was the last  to be tested and proceeded to  hit two cones which put me out straight away. When I rode back to the group who were all watching ,there was some awkwardness from the group as I obviously did not get the thumbs up and no hand clap.. Dammmm
After the other guys got all the paperwork , I asked the instructer if I could walk around the coarse  ,which he agreed. I took a pen and pencil and measured the coarse out , distance between cones , turning circle etc.
I then went down to the local airport parking area every Sunday for a month , set up the cones , measured out the turning circle , and braking area. After 4 weeks of this I went for the test again and this time I got the congratulations I so wanted the first time.
Life is funny , when I look back on the experience I am so happy I failed as I probably would have killed myself if they had passed me and let me out on the roads. Some times Life knows whats best for us , even when we disagree.
Rob

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Did both my car and bike on same day in 1975. Took copper round the block in car and had to ride bike to corner and back, easy. The cop knew I came from a farm and asked how long I had been driving? 'Since I was nine' seemed be the correct answer and I walked out with paper for the Motor Registry, paid the money and away!
 Hey Glen, this was NSW on 4th December 1975 and the cops still did it then.

Steve,
Did you do it in a country town or in a major city?
Glen
Sold
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Glen, did in Tamworth.

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »
Glen, did in Tamworth.

I revised my post to "in Sydney" :)
Glen
Sold
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Tamworth is a city, just located in the country.  :)

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »

Tipsy

And did the Examiner require you to drop the bike to qualify?    :crackup

Had lighter bike and better balance back then.... only dropped when out with friends trail riding in paddocks
with street bike.
Regular trips on Mondays to get new indicators.   :whistle :whistle :whistle
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Online Skip

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
Did the 'test' in 1977 in a little country town. Got the car licence first, 10 written questions, took the local copper for a short scenic drive out of town, came back, went home and got my brothers 360 Yammie motocross bike and back to the cop shop. Rode there unaccompanied. The officer accompanied me outside, stood on the footpath and said ride down to the intersection and come back. When I came back, he was nowhere to be seen. Went into the cop shop and there he was at the type writer tapping away on the keys typing out my car licence and my OPEN bike licence. In those days, if you did the test on a bike larger than a 250cc, bingo, an open licence. I only owned a 175 Yammie at the time, which I had owned for a couple of years and no doubt had been spotted riding it on the roads a few times prior to me being licensed. It was kind of accepted that you had been behind the wheel of a car and in charge of a motorcycle long before you legally could. Was driving as soon as I could reach the pedals but not on the roads at that early stage of course. Ahh. Life in the country was sweet.
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.