Author Topic: Custom earmolds Audio drivers  (Read 2213 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Custom earmolds Audio drivers
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
I have been wearing custom molded audio drivers (www.noiseguard.com.au) for the past 6 months with great comfort and performance.
During the past week I have noticed left earmold is not as clear sounding  |-i and thought it must be an intermittent connection on my 3.5 mm plug or soldering from my "Scala Rider Q2" system.

2 hrs of soldering and checking all connections then I took a close look at the canal of the mold, and discovered the wax filter was blocked! replaced both filters and what a difference in sound! 

So if you have earmolds and think your hearing is getting worse, check the canal for filters and replace them...
Zev

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
My Audio Set Up
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
Due to the contagious disease of "Farkle-itis" got me thinking  :think1 I was required to go wireless.

I got tiered of being "tethered" from Helmet to bike, so...

$10.00 off e-bay for FM modulator, connects directly to my MP4 and broadcasts on any FM frequency that is free!

This allows me to tune my "Scala Rider Q2" to this specified frequency and receive all MP4 content thru my custom made audio drivers.

Works very well.

Just need to get into habit of switching the devices off when ride ends or battery drains out....

see pix attached

cheers
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:53:18 PM by zevk »
Zev

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Re: Custom earmolds Audio drivers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
Aldi has also occasionally sold a bluetooth transmitter. You plug the audio outlet of anything into it and it sends it via bluetooth to your bluetooth headset. Cheap and nifty. It has a built in battery but could be powered from the bike too.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
I have a similar problem with my earmolds (they use an air tube). Regular cleaning plus using an old syringe to force water through the tube and air drying the tube by blowing through it keep the noise working.

I have been wearing custom molded audio drivers (www.noiseguard.com.au) for the past 6 months with great comfort and performance.
During the past week I have noticed left earmold is not as clear sounding  |-i and thought it must be an intermittent connection on my 3.5 mm plug or soldering from my "Scala Rider Q2" system.

2 hrs of soldering and checking all connections then I took a close look at the canal of the mold, and discovered the wax filter was blocked! replaced both filters and what a difference in sound! 

So if you have earmolds and think your hearing is getting worse, check the canal for filters and replace them...
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
Hi Saaz,

I trained to be a hearing aid tech with Electone in Florida USA, decades ago, I almost purchased the type you have (air tube style) but found the overall material quality and sound to be not as clear as the powered driver design I have now. The air tube conduction can have "aucustic popping" but are cheaper to purchase and repair. I'm glad they work well for you and are easy to maintain!

So many riders I know, scoff  :-((( at custom audio earmolds.

Until you try them you really can't appreciate the difference in "wind hush"  |-i  noise comfort and convenience of answering a mobile call as well as streaming your fav tunes at safe audio levels to keep the ride entertaining. :thumbsup

my 2c anyway!

ride safe   
Zev