Author Topic: Diverse Interests  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Re: Diverse Interests
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
I have been into computing since they first started to get established in Australia and looked into building my own computer from parts available from Disk Smith. My first computer was a Texas Instruments Ti994a. No monitor (used a TV), no hard drive and no disc drives. You could buy an expansion box (~$1000) then add huge floppy disc drives to it at $300 each, otherwise I had to type in my own BASIC programs and save them to audio cassette. Most of the time it wouldn't read them back.
I went to Uni in Toowoomba and studied 'Information technology' and an option in 'Human Resource Management'.. all the good stuff that I learned and still have use for today has little to do with computers!  :crazy I ended up starting my own computer business in town.

Have always liked camping and got into 4WDriving a number of years back. I started with a short first model Pajero, later bought a 1986 Landcruiser factory turbo diesel.. loved it but rust started to become a problem. I sold that after buying a 1998 Landcruiser 80 series and have farkled it to the way I like it and have kept it ever since. A few years ago my neighbour built an off-road camper trailer for me (he's a boilermaker) from parts that I bought. Both Landcruiser and camper trailer have serious off-road abilities. One of my favourite off-road treks was to go camping in the NSW and Vic high country. They are special places. Oddly enough I have never taken my own vehicles to camp on Fraser Island which is a hop, skip, and jump away.

My first vehicle was a motorbike (Yamaha DT175b) road/trail bike. I have owned bikes off and on most of my life. I moved towards road bikes after watching 'Long Way Round' and liked the idea of adventure with less expense of 4WDriving. I bought 2x Honda CX500s for $1200 and got one going. Then I bought a Honda Silverwing touring bike (Touring version of the CX500 but this had the 650 conversion) and a CX500 custom for $1200 or so. I sold the custom straight away but the Silverwing was a project in pieces. I rebuilt it from parts supplied (some restored) and ordered missing bits from the US, UK, NZ. Once it was up and running I tried a few long distance trips camping away by myself.. and absolutely loved it. Parts were too hard to get with the Silverwing, so I went for the best priced and most reliable shaft drive Honda I could get my hands on.. the ST1100. So, I guess you could say that mechanics is an interest for me and I do all the mechanical and maintenance on the Cruiser, bike, wife's car, and both daughters cars.

My latest interest is singing. The best and easiest outlet that I have found for it so far is with karaoke, so I do that as much as I can to keep my strength up! :D
I am very happy to have found that I CAN sing going by the responses of those that have listened and I enjoy it greatly.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Diverse Interests
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »
I'd forgotten about this treasure chest of hobbies.  I'll give it a bump for folk who have come along this year, and to encourage others to post their other hobbies up.  I can see a singing/ drumming/ trumpeting after-dinner concert becoming a possibility for the 2015 Toowoomba Run.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927