Author Topic: 3 riders killed on Charity ride... not good!  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
3 riders killed on Charity ride... not good!
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
Read more here....

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: 3 riders killed on Charity ride... not good!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Some sad news for a lot of people.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
i just read that, prayers to the familes
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
Noooo !!  :'(  :'(
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
Terrible outcome!  How odd that so many should have such serious accidents, all in the same event.  You might understand it if the weather was really bad.  The roads are challenging, but the surfaces generally good.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »
The families of these people have my heart-felt sympathy. A terrible loss! 
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline jwm

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
Cooma, yep, you can probably assume that they were doing the Snowy Ride but there were a lot of other motorcyclists in that Region over the weekend who were not associated with the Snowy Ride. Perhaps as it occurred on Saturday they were doing the FarRide to Mallacoota or perhaps they were attending the Motorfest at Cooma that was held on Saturday.

Wyndham, Eden? Both a long way from the Snowy Ride area. The accident at Eden on Sunday, maybe you can assume they were heading home but the Snowy ride was over. Lots of Riders going up and down the coast at this time of year.

Wyndham? Buggered if I know. One would have to assume from the information available that she was a lone female rider riding in the middle of nowhere. Can anyone definitely say that she was doing the Snowy Ride or is the death just being attributed to the Snowy Ride because it was on that weekend.

It's funny how the authorities allocate these fatalities to a particular event. Apparently last year a local farmer was killed when he had an accident on his trail bike on his own property in the Snowy Region. Yet, that fatality was still attributed to the Snowy Ride.

You try and work that one out. I wonder what the truth of these 3 incidents really is.

Having said that, I have now participated in the Snowy Ride for the total 13 years that it has been run and this year was no different to the previous 12 years. There are a lot of riders who participate in this event every year whose riding skills are extremely limited or  non existent and who are a danger to themselves and all other road users. I'm not sure how the organisers can overcome this problem but it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

The policing presence at this years event was extremely limited and well below that of previous events. Usually during the presentation on the Saturday afternoon the issue of accidents/incidents that have occurred during the event is raised, some statistics given and a general safety/riding warning given, there is also usually a short address given by a police officer during that presentation. This year, neither of these normal formalities occurred.

The Snowy Ride is a great event and raises a lot of money for Childhood Cancer Research and Treatment Programs and it would be sad if these deaths did occur as a result of people participating in this event. If this were the case and the alleged trend of accidents and fatalities attributed to the event were to continue, the event will finish up claiming more lives than it is actually trying to save.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:02:25 PM by jwm »

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Well one possibility you can almost certainly strike out is a FarRider down, because there is no mention of it on the FarRiders' site.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927