Author Topic: OXFORD HEATED GRIPS  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
OXFORD HEATED GRIPS
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »
*** I posted this in the 1100 section also as they were discussing the grips ***

I just picked up a new set of OXFORD PREMIUM TOURING HEATED GRIPS today (they fit the ST1100 and ST1300) :runyay
This is the new version that doesn't require relays and has a auto shutdown if the bike isn't running :thumbsup

It cost me only $114 from "Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse" located at "Unit 2, 48 Kremzow Road, BRISBANE QLD 4500. (Ph: 1800 MC TYRES)"

They also sell them on eBay OXFORD PREMIUM TOURING HEATED GRIPS for the same price plus $12.50 postage.

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
Re: OXFORD HEATED GRIPS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »
Shiney,

Have you fitted them yet. I am interested as I need to replace the Hot Grips (US version) rather urgently. Went for a ride today and my gloves kept sticking to the grips, they have turned sticky and the rubber (well it was) can be scraped away to expose the heating elements. The supplier will not supply to outside the US anymore which is good because it forces me to look at other options.
BTW when I fitted the heated grips, I used the Gold Wing units which are greater in grip diameter as well as being longer by some 18mm. Using Bar Weight Extenders means that you can use the original weights, overall a wider handlebar postion which has helped me.

Keen to hear your feedback.

Trevor
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

"Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done"

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
Shiney,

Have you fitted them yet. I am interested as I need to replace the Hot Grips (US version) rather urgently. Went for a ride today and my gloves kept sticking to the grips, they have turned sticky and the rubber (well it was) can be scraped away to expose the heating elements. The supplier will not supply to outside the US anymore which is good because it forces me to look at other options.
BTW when I fitted the heated grips, I used the Gold Wing units which are greater in grip diameter as well as being longer by some 18mm. Using Bar Weight Extenders means that you can use the original weights, overall a wider handlebar postion which has helped me.

Keen to hear your feedback.

Trevor

Yeah mate all fitted :thumbsup
The install was very straight forward and the instructions were nice and easy to follow :clap

The only issue I found was that the grips were a bit short on length comparison to the ones I had :eek but it was an easy fix with a little bit of rubber tube :thumb
I'll put up some pics showing what I'm talking about tomorrow :thumbs

Cheers
Shiney

Offline Neale

• Legendary Member
  • Harrington Park, NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »
 :popcorn
Neale

2009 ST 1300 Candy Apple Red

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
To neaten it up a bit I plan on going to Clark Rubber and getting something that will look a bit nicer to fill the gaps :grin but in the meantime the following is what I have done…As can be seen in the first 2 pictures (Right hand side) the grip doesn’t make it all the way across. It should make it to the black plastic ring.

To fill the gap between the grip and the ring I cut the raised rubber section from the end of the old grip and placed it on the end.

In the next 2 pictures (Left hand side) the grip doesn’t fit all the way to the bar weight.

To fill the gap this time I cut off a bit of the rubber grip cover I had been using over the old grips and placed it in between the end of the grip and the bar weight.

Cheers
Shiney

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, Shiney, much appreciated. Oxford does not make the longer version, Hot Grips USA is not selling or supplying overseas, leaves only this one,

http://wingstuff.com/products/34741-inferno-heated-grips-w-e-z-controller

I will find out the delivery price before getting too excited about this one. The wider handlebar position really suits me for longer hauls.

Cheers,

Trevor
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

"Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done"

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
That looks exactly like Yorkie's heated grips. Maybe have a chat with him.
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, Shiney, much appreciated. Oxford does not make the longer version, Hot Grips USA is not selling or supplying overseas, leaves only this one,

http://wingstuff.com/products/34741-inferno-heated-grips-w-e-z-controller

I will find out the delivery price before getting too excited about this one. The wider handlebar position really suits me for longer hauls.

Cheers,

Trevor

Looks good, make sure to let us know what you find out and if you get them give us a review  :thumb

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:25 AM »
Oxford does not make the longer version, Hot Grips USA is not selling or supplying overseas, leaves only this one,

Probably old news, but if I want stuff from vendors who won't ship overseas (in my case usually running shoes) I use http://www.borderlinx.com. Works out really well when the vendor ships inside the US for free. You don't usually save much in terms of the shipping but at least you can buy anything. You get an address in the US and the UK to send stuff too.  Probably other services like this about.
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
I had another look at the "Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse" ebay store and found they found they also sell a longer set then the ones that I got:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170827460410

Guess I should have gotten them :fp Oh well I'm still happy with the ones I got :grin

:think1 :think1 Otherwise if you give them a call, they may be able to get the goldwing ones in: :phone

Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse
Unit 2, 48 Kremzow Road, BRISBANE QLD 4500. (Ph: 1800 MC TYRES)

Cheers
Shiney

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
Hello Wombattle,

Heard of this before but the supplier will only supply 20+units in 1 order. He is heading for self destruction unless he is happy servicing the US market only. A search of retailers suggest that they are not stocking his gear any more.

Trevor
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
Shiney,

Still not long enough. The Goldwing grip is 5.25" long which is still some 3/8" longer than the longest Oxford grip.
Received a reply from Wingstuff, $80 for the kit and $50 freight, makes it about A$150. I will probally go that way as I would have to modify the Bar Weight assembly to suit the shorter grip. BTW, genuine Honda Goldwing Grips cost around US$300 + freight as spare parts.

Will post the outcomes.

Trevor
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
Probably old news, but if I want stuff from vendors who won't ship overseas (in my case usually running shoes) I use http://www.borderlinx.com. Works out really well when the vendor ships inside the US for free. You don't usually save much in terms of the shipping but at least you can buy anything. You get an address in the US and the UK to send stuff too.  Probably other services like this about.

I'll have to look into them.  There are some sellers and items that can only send to US addresses.  I've used "MyUS" for that type of service, but they only use couriers, which cost a small fortune (like AU$60 for 3 books!).  The plus is you get things 2 days after they send them.  Another minus is they charge US$1 per day for every item they hold after 5 days if you want to combine items from different sellers.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
Hate to say "told you so" however if you had read my original post you would have seen the longer ones fit the ST1100 and so likely the 1300 as well.  :thumbs  :thumbs  :thumbs
These are identical to mine. On the plus side being a bit shorter gave me room to fit a PTT button
Cheers,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Down Under

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »

If grip length is an issue then have a look at the Oxford "Adventure"  heated grips.  I was reading on another site that the adventure grips measure 132mm long as opposed to 122mm on the touring/sports versions.  They can also be cut down to 122mm if required.  I haven't had a surf on the net to verify if that's correct but the info comes from a reliable source.

Cheers,

Tony

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
Have received and fitted the inferno Grips, a straightforward exercise. They warm OK however winter will be the test. These are around 145mm long which is Goldwing length. So they are still 13mm longer than the longest Oxford. The inferno is also about 2mm greater in diameter (external) than the previous ones, so should be more comfortable grip wise. Hope to do 300+klms on Sunday, will report then.
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

Offline STRay (Roo Killer)

• ST1100 - 1, Roo - 0
  • Perth, W.A.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
another option is these:

http://wingstuff.com/products/31421-heated-comfort-grips?context=handlebar_grips

Stuck 'em on Black Betty, gives a larger outer diameter than the OEM grips ( which I needed ), plus look great onthe black bike!
With these ones, the end weights are taken off and tossed as the grip ends are enclosed. I have not had an issue with vibration or harmonics at all.
Ray,

ST1100PT ( now 2 tone red )
ST1300AA - SOLD
GL1800E  Blue
FarRider   #110
IBA           #39079
STOC        #821
Roo Killer Extraordinare

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
Vibration on an ST?????
Often wondered why an ST needed end weights, someone might know.
Did the 300+ today, jury is out on the Grab Ons, otherwise all good.
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F