Author Topic: AM/FM Radio  (Read 2177 times)

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
AM/FM Radio
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
Thought I would post some info for anyone looking at AM/FM radios. Originally I fitted a GME GR200 and wired it into the Starcom. I then found that this is one of the most difficult radios to use on a bike. Buttons were small and wiring speaker outputs into the intercom is not best practice. As well navigation around the Bands/Stations could not be done on the fly. The other annoying issue was there was no external music input. Their next model has a AUX input with no controls. Again, it was awkward to select this option.
Came across a marine radio from Fusion and investigated its options. It seemed to be vastly better than the GME, so I bought one. It is roughly the same size although deeper, it has "Line Out" for connecting to the intercom, it is very easy to use for navigating and has large buttons.  Finally it has a fully functioning Ipod interface. No I am not an Apple fan, but the wife had an older Ipod that she no longer used so I fitted it. Sound quality good, useability good, functionality good in particular the ease that you can scan for new FM stations. The cost about the same as the GME plus an Ipod cable. I have it mounted on top of the dash and being marine, it is waterproof. It also has a AUX input which I do not use. I have been using it now for 9 months with no issues.
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

"Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done"

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
Re: AM/FM Radio
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
That sounds interesting, do you have any photo's??? Tremarg
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:21 PM »
Photo as requested, and link for website,

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/true-marine/ms-ra50

One thing worth noting, the units display while very good in direct sunlight, is bright at night, it has a dim function via wiring however there is no lighting to turn on at night on present day bikes. As I run LED DRL I use this to dim at night when the headlights are on. Alternatively, it has a setting to turn off the display after 1 minute of key inactivity.

Trevor
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

"Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done"

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Nice looking and compact unit. Could I ask, how much?
 :thumb  :thumb  :thumb
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
I live near Northside Marine at Boondall in Brisbane who sell them for $149
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the photo.

looks the goods  :thumbs

I did notice three LED's and a switch in the photo  :think1
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
Ever try to find the ignition key hole when it is pitch black dark. The LEDS light the general dash area as well as my headset plug elsewhere on the bike and the panniers/Topbox
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F