Author Topic: Fuzeblock install in RH Storage compartment  (Read 4594 times)

atoyot

Fuzeblock install in RH Storage compartment
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »
Has anyone installed a fuzeblock up the front of their ST1300, particularly in the right storage compartment? I'm about to install my 2nd fuzeblock up the front, as I want to split the number of connections between one at the front and the existing one at the back. I could maybe use a quartet harness that I've installed on the old bike, but I'm thinking that the Fuzeblock will give me some more flexability with being able to easily swap a connection between the battery or a switched connection.

Main question is if anyone has installed one in the unlockable compartment, and the pro's and con's of it, as I'm planning to start putting the bike back together after I install my MCCruise and Ivan's FCE over the next 3 days. Seeing everything is off the bike, good time to tidy up electrical connections as well!

Andrew   :popcorn :popcorn

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Fuzeblock install in RH Storage compartment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »
Short answer......YEP  :like

Mine is made by Narva from memory.....holds 8 blade fuses and its screwed to the little plastic "hob" in the front of the compartment. Is powered via relay with ingintion to activate the power to the fuse block.

All I run from mine is GPS and Phone power, UHF, Sena Hub, Cig plug to charge Sena's and Stebel horn  :like

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

atoyot

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
How did you organise the cables, both to and from it? I'm still fiddling with where to locate it in the compartment, and thinking of drilling 2 holes, one up high and one a bit lower in the front of the compartment, then routing battery cable in lower one, and device cables in the higher one. Will have to get some grommets, or even one of those cable glands to try and get a reasonable seal. But, as I said, still fiddling around with wires and routing.

I'm pretty much running the same stuff you are, but still working out which to where. Main one I'm yet to do is a USB/accessory plug for the co-pilot to power her phone and maybe a 2nd GPS, but looking at some surface mount Narva boxes....

All fun problems to have and solve though!

Andrew

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
I to went with 2 holes.

The Low was at the rear of the box and in the lowest part of compartment to drain water IF any got in......this is where I bring my Pwr in from the relay to the Fuseblock.

The high hole is at the front and is an elongated hole for 2x USB's to pass through to the USB cig plugs I have off the Fuse block in the compartment, aswell as the other leads from farkles go direct to the block.

My other thoughts behind the 2 holes and the front one forward facing was to also achieve some ducted air into the compartment to decrease heat in the compartment by circulating some air, future plan was to add some flexible condute to front hole to direct air, but it's not been needed.

When I remove Right side faring it adds about 5mins to pull plugs/wires back through to where they are zip tied to frame. Fuseblock stays with the fairing.

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
STroppy is about to do an McCruise install and wiring changes, but he will be way behind your next three days! If you come across any improvements to the instructions let us know, but my experience has been that anyone could following the instructions and get the job done. Its just that FJR1300s are fiddlier than most, and keeping the second police battery creates issues.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

atoyot

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
STroppy is about to do an McCruise install and wiring changes, but he will be way behind your next three days! If you come across any improvements to the instructions let us know, but my experience has been that anyone could following the instructions and get the job done. Its just that FJR1300s are fiddlier than most, and keeping the second police battery creates issues.

Hi John,
Well so much for the next three days! Still going with the other bits and pieces and just now starting on the MC Cruise. I have the new model with the electronic servo, but it seems the instructions are only for the previous version. Probably not a biggie, as it just eliminates the vacuum hose parts, but mine is going to be a bit more fiddly as the Wilbers rear shock controls sit where the vacuum servo would, so I just need to suss out a place where the electronic servo unit will fit and then cut the cable to length. Interestingly, the wiring diagram is for the electronic servo model...
Has Stroppy got an FJR now?
Andrew

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
No, Lionel has an FJR, I still have the ST1300. I bought my McCruise about 2 weeks before Christmas and they made no mention of the electronic version which is what I would have preferred.

I am going to attach the speed sensor wiring to the bike speedo pulse wire instead of using the magnets and pickup at the rear wheel.

I am about to drive over to Adelaide and will be away for 3 weeks and on return will be installing the McCruise and also rationalising wiring of past farkles and I will be also installing a fuseblock for some of the installs, I don't want to put it in either pocket tho, moren likely it'll go near the battery or fuses on the left side.  I have installed the quartet harness and will leave that in place.

Let me know of any problems you encounter and the solutions you use, please.
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
Andrew, does the electronic servo model use the rear wheel magnets for the speed signal, or do you tap into the pulse from the ignition? McCruise do have instructions for doing the latter, but you need to dig deeper into the bike.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

atoyot

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »
Hi John
Well I was going to use the wheel magnets, but maybe I should look at tapping the speedo pulse wire, as I've got the bike well and truly pulled apart now, so should be easily possible. Tony from MCC rang me this afternoon and talked me through the issues I might have, and they are all just around placement of the electronic servo, and access to it for any fine adjustments. I've actually removed the Wilbers and installed a std shock, just so that I can work out the servo mount under the LH sidecover, as I don't think it would fit anywhere else. Once sorted out hopefully, I can re-install the Wilbers and maybe relocate and/or separate the preload and the damping adjustment.

STroppy, Tony did say that they haven't actually developed the electronic servo version for the ST, but in my situation, Dale recommended that the electronic servo would be easier to find a place for than the vacuum servo, due to my Wilbers. Their preference would be for me to stick with the vacuum servo, but I'm happy to fiddle with it and get it working. I think that the electronic servo is a couple of hundred of $ more than the vacuum version as well, but I'll let you know how I go.

Just out of interest, how were you planning on mounting your fuzeblock? I've got a spare bracket for mounting one in the tailpiece, so let me know if you're interested in using it. I can find a photo if you like. I'm also thinking of pulling my forks out to install a fork brace I have, as well as swapping out the wheels from my 03 model, as I want to see how it looks with black wheels rather than silver ones, so I've just got to tap holes for the ABS rings in those. I'll probably still be going in 3 weeks time, but I should at least get everything done for now that I was going to do in the future....

At least I've got plenty of time to do it now, as I've just started a new job; it's called a VR! :grin

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »

At least I've got plenty of time to do it now, as I've just started a new job; it's called a VR! :grin

I like that job as well!
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Andrew, VR's are almost as good as  . . .

I am planning to have the bike apart, McCruise installed and the electrics tidied up, possibly MCL Highway Pegs fitted in time for the Nambucca Heads FarRide on 7 February . . Well a bit before the actual ride so to do a test ride beforehand . . Orange maybe?

I was also toying with the forkbrace . . Did you get the MCL one? I might also get the longer fender extender and the foot peg lowering kit from MCL as well.

Have to get the bike comfortable if I am going to keep up with young Lionel on his FJR . . .

Talk to me re tapping the speedo pulse wire . . The McCruise guys told me it was fairly easy, just need to calibrate the system again to allow for the change. I like the idea of not having the magnets and sensor at the back wheel . . Something the tyres monkeys can eff up . .

Terry
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:37:09 PM by STroppy »
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

atoyot

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »
You're right about VR's Terry! Rare as rocking horse poo too!

My forkbrace is the MCL one, which I had installed with neoprene fork sliders on the old bike.

Tony from MCCruise also mentioned about the connectors that they use for wire tapping, and they even sound better than positaps, so I might order a few from them, or find out where to get them. Apparently, the once they use a watertight.

It's interesting about you cleaning up your wiring as well, as it seems that as we farkle bit by bit, eventually something triggers a re-org of wiring and it's routing as it becomes a mess over time. I'll also be using the quartet harness for the grip heaters and GPS, as I have a couple of spare Hitachi connectors and a proper crimper. It all cuts down on excess wiring and makes what could be a mess more manageable.

Just found the fuzeblock bracket and it's an MCL one as well.
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=309

Give me a yell if you're up this way again,
Andrew
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:16:16 PM by atoyot »

atoyot

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
. . .

Talk to me re tapping the speedo pulse wire . . The McCruise guys told me it was fairly easy, just need to calibrate the system again to allow for the change. I like the idea of not having the magnets and sensor at the back wheel . . Something the tyres monkeys can eff up . .

Terry
The wire to tap into is the pink one in the 3 wire hitachi connector just behind the RHS cylinder bank, concealed in one of those multi-connector sheaths thingys. I've just tapped it with a posi-tap and hopefully should be getting to the bit where I'm actually installing the MCC. Just looking at the room under the rear grab rail area where the fuzeblock mounts and I've just put a hinge in the fuzeblock mount so that I can install the MCC puter behind the fuzeblock and actually mount it on the back of the fuzeblock mount with Velcro, so with the hinge, access to changing fuses and all the bits up the back should be easy with a little thought in the cable runs..... I'll post some pics when finished.