Author Topic: What's this thingamy?`  (Read 2161 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
What's this thingamy?`
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
In the course of some maintenance on the ST1300 today, I needed to (well may not have needed to, but it was easier to get the big fat hands to the source of the problem) remove the oil filter and what looked like a breather pipe just above the casting where the oil filter screws on.

The subject of this thread is the "breather pipe" thingamy.  It has a small high pressure rubber hose which slips over the pipe and is secured by a stainless steel circ-clip.  The circ-clip has a 6mm hex / phillps head screw.

Anyway, when I removed the HP hose some reddish clear (like auto transmission fluid, but NOT) fluid leaked out.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what could it be?

Process of elimination, and as discussed with some of our Forum colleagues at the Whittlesea RTE today, it wasn't engine oil, so it must be engine coolant.

Yep, that's it ENGINE COOLANT........but it would be comforting for one of the Forum brainiacs (ie. anyone smarter than me) could confirm.

Now, the reason for removing the  oil filter and the HP hose.  This was to tighten the gear lever mechanism.  This is now twice that I've had to do this.  A bit disappointing Mr Honda, as the St is only three years old and has only done 30,000km (and a bit).

The first time I had a problem down there was when the gear lever went all floppy and wouldn't change gears at all (not fun limping home in third gear in Saturday morning suburban Melbourne traffic).  The problem was the turn-buckle (that's what I call it) had come adrift.  Two or three hours under the bike, hand in awkward positions and angles, much, much swearing had it fixed.

This time I noticed the gear lever getting floppy again.   Ha Ha, I thought, let's fixed this before it comes adrift.   This time I leaned the bike gently onto it's right side so I had plenty of room and would be more comfortable.  But I noticed this wasn't the same problem.  This time the 13mm nut on the end of a 75mm to 100mm long bolt  with a 12mm head, that goes through the engine block casting, had come loose.   It was easier to get to this 13mm nut with the oil filter and HP hose removed.

I don't reckon these should come loose!!!

:OldMan
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
Re: What's this thingamy?`
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
Photo's would have saved all that writing  ;-*
2nd my bike is a 2008 and the gear lever hasn't come loose once - May be getting it serviced every 6K means the mechanic is checking and tightening it  :thumbsup
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »
Photo's would have saved all that writing ....

Yep!  But I had everything back together before I thought of that, and I ain't gunna strip it for pics.  Now it was just easier to describe it.

.... May be getting it serviced every 6K means the mechanic is checking and tightening it ....

I'd be surprised if a mechanic tightened these items, they are so hard to get to.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
 :think1 Maybe it hasn't been torqued right from it's build  Wot thuh
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
:think1 Maybe it hasn't been torqued right from it's build  Wot thuh

That's my conclusion and why I'm dirty on Mr Honda.  It's akin (to me) to a bolt which holds the alternator or starter motor on a car, you (me anyway) don't expect to have those tightened when your car is serviced.

Anyway, I found this:

The HP tube goes onto one of the E-20's, part #13 is the oil cooler, so the reddish clear fluid was engine coolant.