Honda ST1100 Section > Honda ST1100 Tools and Handy Gadgets

Jaws of life for a filter removal

<< < (4/4)

STeveo:
Works even better with a strip of rubber glued to the inside for better grip.

:bl11

Aj1300:
I have the same as Bigggles and Paul, great for getting into tight places and you get plenty of leverage as well :thumbs :blk13

Dennisgw:

--- Quote from: ruSTyEB on September 02, 2012, 11:21:59 PM ---For me, off I use big-ass multigrips to break the seal if tight, then undo by hand.  On, a bit of oil as Brock says on the rubber and hand tighten.

Question though, does everyone replace the sump drain washer every change, or at other times?

--- End quote ---

Simple answer is, No, probably find that most wouldn't. From the mouth of an ex vehicle mechanic, it is always good practice to do so.

When using a strap, I find it best to place right at the end of the filter or right at the top so that the end of the filter provides a bit of strength to prevent crushing.

Like what was previously said, when fitting the filter, take note about how much further it should be tightened once the seal makes contact. Usually about 2/3 of a turn.

sargent:
Had the same dilemma when I did my first oil change on the GSF1200 Bandit I owned previous to the ST.

Tried the strap first, wouldnt budge. :think1

Screwdriver through the filter and ripped it clean in half. :|||| Bugger... :cuss

Take of the exhuast headers, cut away the remain outer filter casing with tin snips and had to use a chisell to cut part way through the filter housing thread and then tap it around till it loosened.  >:()

Serious inspection of the thread on the engine and wash away all the crap, spun the new filter on BY HAND.

Had three services after that and never ever had and troubles, I purchased a similar over the filter tool with the three arms but only for ease because of where the filter is located on the bandits behind the headers.

Did not know the previous owner as I bought the bandit of a dealer as a repairable write-off. But if I did I would have :spank his butt for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version