Author Topic: ADAS is Crap...  (Read 1868 times)

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
ADAS is Crap...
« on: December 11, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
I was talking to one of our members at the RTE at Buxton about issues with emergency braking/lane assist in new cars and coincidently John Cadogan released a video on that very subject a couple of days later...

The worst thing about every modern car (Hint: It's 'ADAS')

I read my fair share of new car reviews and quite often there are complaints about some of the "so called" safety features in modern cars and how they either don't work properly or decide to work at the most inappropriate of times.
Most of the people I've come across usually turn off lane keeping assist as it can be too intrusive but, unfortunately it is turned back on when you restart the engine...which is obviously a pain in the bum!

All I can say is I'm sort of thankful our cars are a few years old so come with very few of these "safety features"...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: ADAS is Crap...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 12:12:22 PM »
There are lots of complaints from the Isusu/BT50 fraternity with lane assist and braking assist. Its not great off road when the car thinks there is an obstacle in front and brakes go on..  Lane assist is an annoyance, but if you use "INDICATORS" (BMW and Merc drivers are unaware of there use), you can change lanes without the car fighting you. The worst case is when dodging a sudden object in the way, and the cars fights the urge to doge it.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »
The worst case is when dodging a sudden object in the way, and the cars fights the urge to doge it.

Even things such as potholes which are hard enough to avoid at the best of times! :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 12:37:00 PM »
Just turn it off under vehicle settings
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 01:03:53 PM »
If it was a simply a switch you needed to hit to turn these things off it wouldn't be so bad but many cars require you to dig deep into the settings to turn them off which is obviously a pain in the butt (especially when you're in a hurry) and then, of course, even if you do go to that effort, the moment you restart the engine you're back to square one with them back on again!  :cuss

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Langers

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 05:43:08 PM »
With the D-Max, turning off the lane assist is dead easy, press and hold a button on the steering wheel. The emergency braking is something else again and quite dangerous at times and immensely irritating at other times (doing Googs track with it's 300 plus sandhills had the emergency braking activated a number of times when a piece of leafy vegetation got too close to a sensor). The manual comes in 2 parts, main and the display thingy and they comprise over 1,000 pages so I don't often refer to them, life is too short.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 07:26:35 AM »
My Ford Ranger has both, and I have never had a problem with either. The lane keeping assist can be simply turned on or off by means of a button on the end of the RHS stalk on the steering wheel, and it remembers the setting through power cycles. I turn it off on our local road, because its a windy, narrow, unmarked "lane", but I always use it on the better roads and find it remarkably effective. Overriding it when forcibly changing lanes or avoiding obstacles is minimal effort.
The emergency braking has only actuated a couple of times in the last 80,000kms. so hardly a problem. I dont use the car for hard core offroad, but have done many outback tracks and roads, and never had a problem.

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
I guess how it performs will depend a lot on the types of roads you drive on and whether there are lane markings or not...

With 80,000ks I'm assuming your Ranger is a few years old?

These days to achieve a 5 Star Rating, ANCAP protocols require "lane assist" to automatically re-activate every time you start the engine...
Without that requirement, the latest model Ranger would only achieve a 4 Star rating...  :think1

Cheers  :beer

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »
Can you not put a bit of black tape over the sensor? That is what my daughter did on a Mazda 323 she had and it never complained.

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 03:39:16 PM »
I guess how it performs will depend a lot on the types of roads you drive on and whether there are lane markings or not...

With 80,000ks I'm assuming your Ranger is a few years old?

Cheers  :beer

Been around Australia twice plus up and down from mid north coast to Canberra etc.
Car is only 4 years old (heading for 5) and has only recently been superseeded. I note that the latest models have moved the disable button to the steering wheel, but dont whether it survives an on/off cycle.

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 04:14:55 PM »

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 04:20:09 PM »
Can you not put a bit of black tape over the sensor? That is what my daughter did on a Mazda 323 she had and it never complained.

I'm assuming you actually mean a Mazda 3, Steve?  :popcorn
I think with lane assist it uses a camera to see painted lines etc so covering that up might be an issue for other functions...  :think1
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 10:57:08 PM by ruSTynutz »

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: STeveo

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 10:11:26 PM »
> but dont whether it survives an on/off cycle.

It hasn't, if you can believe this article: https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-ford-ranger-everest-ancap-lane-keeping-software/

mmm!!, maybe I'll keep this model then. But who knows when Ford will decide to change the LKA button function to on by default?. Interesting that ANCAP mandate that it be difficult to turn it off.

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »

I'm assuming you actually mean a Mazda 3, Steve?  :popcorn
I think with lane assist it uses a camera to see painted lines etc so covering that up might be an issue for other functions...  :think1
It may have been a '3' (modern cars all look the same now) and she has a Hyundi now which has the turn off every time you start it.

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 11:17:37 AM »
My car, which I have had since new, a Pulsar SSS is now 25 years old and the main reason I am looking at new one is to get ALL the new safety features. I drive a hire car a few times a year and love blind spot warning, reversing camera with guide lines that move with the steering and active cruise control. Also happy to live with lane assist. Had a Subaru Liberty two weeks ago and think it was one button on the steering wheel to turn off lane assist.  Will also be looking for heads up display. Remember the days when people didn't like ABS.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 06:18:06 PM »
Cheers Glen...  :beer

I'd be happy with just a reversing camera and active cruise. Happy to not have lane assist and to a lesser extent, emergency braking though as some of these systems can be too intrusive at times, depending on the car.
The fact that so many people want to turn them off suggests that some of these safety systems aren't as good as they could be and don't work with all road conditions.

As for blind spot monitoring, I understand it can be very helpful at times but, I reckon one downside is that it encourages drivers not to be as observant as they should be with many drivers not worrying about doing head checks etc...

Unfortunately, most of this stuff is becoming mandatory in new cars... :fp

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2023, 09:24:29 PM »
Recent data on safety systems like lane guidance and collision avoidance shows that you are 10 to 50 times less likely to be involved in a fatal accident.

The computer responds far faster than any human.

My car has 8 cameras reading my environment at least 50 times/second.

Get a friend to hold a 30 cm ruler with the 0 cm between the thumb and finger with your finger and thumb at least 5 cm apart, get them to drop it without warning, and see if you can catch the ruler before it poses through. If you catch it, the cm and the rate acceleration of gravity formula will tell you how many seconds it took you to respond. It will be at least 1 to 2 seconds.

At 100 km/h, 1 second is at least 27.7 metres of travel.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2023, 11:02:05 PM »
Recent data on safety systems like lane guidance and collision avoidance shows that you are 10 to 50 times less likely to be involved in a fatal accident.

The computer responds far faster than any human.

My car has 8 cameras reading my environment at least 50 times/second.

Get a friend to hold a 30 cm ruler with the 0 cm between the thumb and finger with your finger and thumb at least 5 cm apart, get them to drop it without warning, and see if you can catch the ruler before it poses through. If you catch it, the cm and the rate acceleration of gravity formula will tell you how many seconds it took you to respond. It will be at least 1 to 2 seconds.

At 100 km/h, 1 second is at least 27.7 metres of travel.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

++
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2023, 08:25:59 AM »
Advanced driver assistance systems ‘inconsistent and dangerous’ – report

http://tinyurl.com/yeynnxh8

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 10:54:10 AM »
I turn off lane assist (one right-thumb button on the steering wheel, just a press and hold for a few seconds) when driving Helen's new Kia Sportage as I get tired of the incessant beeping when the car drifts over lane separation lines.

..... Remember the days when people didn't like ABS.

I remember when people didn't like car radios.  Well, people may have been me, and that my have been because I didn't want to admit that I could not afford a car radio.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 03:05:05 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the ADAS and other fancy tech on my 2022 WRX.

Adaptive cruise is awesome!
Auto-cornering headlights (not exactly a new feature) - love it.
Lane departure beeps have taught me to be better at lane control and to not be lazy about signalling when changing lanes. However I do turn it off via the touchscreen menus for twisty roads.
Emergency lane departure steering correction is something I'd be happy to do without. However it needs to be disabled on every drive so I just live with it, except on twisties.
The Lane Centreing function that functions with the cruise control is great on long straight motorways but can be downright dangerous on twisty roads (as acknowleged by Subaru). It's just a press of a steering wheel button to turn it on / off.
The emergency braking would no doubt be brilliant in a real emergency but it has a tendency to panic and yell at me if, say, there is a car coming at me at speed in the other lane on a bend. Annoying, but one day it may be a life saver.
Auto-dipping headlights - really?  I can do a better job myself but I don't think this can be turned off.

Overall - probably more plus than minus.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline John g

• ST 1100.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »
 :bl11.   I drive a 2001 falcon traytop Ute ,it has very few electric interferences,electronic ignition and ABS brakes are about it .
             Most of the repairs and servicing I can do myself saving about a $150 an hour these days .
             My worry about these new cars is when they get older and a few Kay’s on them the gremlins are going to start invading
             These electronic systems and it’s going to be very expensive to repair. Due to parts shortages and obsolescence happening
              A lot sooner  it may be a wrecking proposition It may be in the near future that motoring may only be available to those
              who can afford a relatively new car ! The rest will have to take the bus.( No offence Bodo )

John  g

Online Bodø

• Where's My keys
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2023, 10:31:04 AM »
The rest will have to take the bus.( No offence Bodø)

Take the bus.  Just don't park it across anyone's driveway.  :p
Seriemester 2020 🏆 🟧 Kawasaki Versys 1000
Seriemester 2021 🏆 ⬛ Yamaha Xmax 300
Seriemester 2023 🏆 🟥 Honda Goldwing 1800

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2023, 04:29:06 PM »
:bl11.   
             My worry about these new cars is when they get older and a few Kay’s on them the gremlins are going to start invading
             These electronic systems and it’s going to be very expensive to repair.

I remember selling my Nissan Skyline to a lady many years ago. Her husband came with her to look at the car and grumbled about the electronic ignition/electronic fuel injection etc etc, saying that he could fix his old cars himself but could never fix one of these if it goes wrong. His wife ignored him and bought the car anyway.
Yet electronic ignition and fuel injection are 2 very very reliable technologies and cars became far more reliable with them than without. (we all remember cleaning/adjusting points/spark plugs, forever fiddling with carburettors...).
My point is that automotive technologies are generally very robust and diagnostic tools to suit the increasingly complex technologies progress at just a slightly slower pace than the technology does, so although it sounds very difficult to imagine how one might fix something, once you have the tools its not so bad. And once you've identified a faulty module, you replace it unless you also happen to be an electronics enthusiast.

How many people have had their phone repaired at the local phone shop. I'm an electronics enthusiast and I'm always amazed that these guys can pull a phone apart and replace parts like the screen, USB ports, buttons, batteries etc.

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »
:bl11.   
             These electronic systems and it’s going to be very expensive to repair.

My point is that automotive technologies are generally very robust and diagnostic tools to suit the increasingly complex technologies progress at just a slightly slower pace than the technology does, so although it sounds very difficult to imagine how one might fix something, once you have the tools its not so bad. And once you've identified a faulty module, you replace it unless you also happen to be an electronics enthusiast.

Unless you own a Jeep (from an "owned a Jeep once - never again" person)
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

The following users thanked this post: Dragonstaff