Author Topic: Replacing Front Brake Pads  (Read 2834 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Replacing Front Brake Pads
« on: December 22, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Replacing the front pads is much the same as the rear ones except gravity comes into play because the hanger pins are at the bottom of the calliper and new pads can fall out until secured. It's also much easier to misalign the inner pads on the front so make sure they're correctly located.

Remove what Honda calls the pin plug with a right sized screw driver. The LH side went ok with this but the RH one wouldn't move and not wanting to damage it I sprayed some RP7 on it and let it sit overnight hoping to be able to do this morning.

No luck with that so I took the bike down to the local tyre dealer and an impact tool soon solved the issue and three new ones ordered this morning from the dealer in Port Augusta.

Next remove the hanger pin

Then slide the old pads out.  The first pad might be a I little hard to move by hand so just grip the hole section with pliers or something and pull down wards. You might find the second one will fall out after the pressure is eased off.

Before installing new pads the pistons need to be pushed back and it's a good time to check the calliper movement.

I fit the outer pad first and hold it in place with the hanger pin while I do the inner one.

Tighten the hanger pin after both pads installed

Then the pin plug

When all pads have been replaced pump up the brakes. I generally test the brakes in the back yard when riding to the gate and then an a round the block road test. With the combined system I test using hand braking, then foot braking and finally both hand and foot together.

For information I have included some extra pics.

You'll notice in some pics the calliper mounting just behind the front axle; that is the pivot point which allows the LH mount to activate the secondary master cylinder which is located above the LH calliper on the later A models; it's all part of the Combined Braking System.

Above the RH calliper we have a delay valve which essentially delays full braking on the front until full braking on the rear is applied. How this works I'm not sure but I think when the front brake lever is pressed the LH brake is applied which in turn operates the outer two pots on the rear brake and then the delay valve opens to allow braking on the RH side.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:20:01 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: Replacing Front Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
Awesome "How To" mate, brilliant work and thanks for sharing :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:35:10 PM »
Awesome "How To" mate, brilliant work and thanks for sharing :hatwave
Thanks, after the hassle of getting that little screw out the rest of the RH pad change took less than 10 mins which is about what I did for each calliper on the last pad change 32,666 km. ago 

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:25:24 AM »
Picture Links Updated

The following users thanked this post: Shiney