Author Topic: Coming to Ballarat? And coming into Victoria from NSW. Qld?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Coming to Ballarat? And coming into Victoria from NSW. Qld?
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
Arvo All...

Murchison to Daylesford and onto Ballarat...the interesting way :thumbsup

The following route is all sealed roads...for the best part are all very quiet...are all either 'C' class roads with a few 'B' class pieces thrown onto the mix...a 'B' class road can sometimes be single lane...this route will take you through hilly country from farming through to the gold fields going through some famous towns (like Hepburn Springs), and infamous (like Faraday)...you'll see bits on Central  Victoria not a lot of tourists see...the only fuel stop I know on this route is in Guilford, without taking a detour...there is a great bakery in Murchison opposite the painted cows over-looking the River...there are many great places to eat in Hepburn Springs/Daylesford.

I have only just ridden this route and I am sure you'll like it. It is off the beaten track :wink1

Detailed description below...Summary at the end for Garmin (GPS), way points

So the route is a follows:
1) Murchison to Colbinabbin on the C345 or the Murchison - Bendigo Rd

2) Approx 2km past Colbinabbin turn LEFT onto the C347 or the Heathcote - Rochester Rd

3) After approx 12 - 15km on the C347 turn RIGHT towards Toolleen which is on the B75 or the Northern Highway. Cross the highway and stay on the Axedale -Toolleen Rd (I am not sure if this road has a route number).

4) Continue on the Axedale -Toolleen Rd for approx 16km before turning LEFT onto Barnadown - Knowsley Rd which will ENTER the B280 or the McIvor Highway after approx 6km.

5) Continue on the B280 to Knowsley THEN at Knowsley turn RIGHT onto Moorabbee Rd which becomes the Knowsley - Eppalock Rd with a RIGHT turn.

6) The  Knowsley - Eppalock Rd becomes the Spillway Rd AFTER you have crossed Lake Eppalock dam

7) Spillway Rd will T-INTERSECT with the Kimbolton - Axedale Rd approx 1km after crossing the dam. Turn LEFT onto the Kimbolton - Axedale Rd and STAY on it until it becomes Lyell Rd approx 1km AFTER you turned Left. You will be heading roughly SOUTH.

8.) Lyell Rd should be marked as the C327.

9) Continue in a SOUTHERLY direction  on the C327 or Lyell Rd fro approx 8km and at the INTERSECTION turn RIGHT onto the Sutton Grange Rd.  Do NOT go to Redesdale.

10) The Sutton Grange Rd will become the Sutton Grange - Farraday Rd. AT an INTERSECTION at the Sutton Grange Uniting Church, which you WILL see. CONTINUE on the Sutton Grange - Farraday Rd IF you do NOT want to do the LOOP I am about to describe. If you do NOT want to do the loop, go to step 13.

OK I plan for you to STAY on this road UNTIL it intersects with the C974, which is the OLD Calder Highway. HOWEVER,  there is a VERY great and interesting LOOP  that will take you over Mt Alexander on roads that are used for the Jayco international cycle races and great look-outs.

11) THE LOOP ONLY. Turn RIGHT onto the Sutton Grange - Bendigo Rd and continue for approx 4Km then turn LEFT onto the Harcourt - Sutton Grange Rd...Stay on this road for approx 8- 10km and LOOK OUT for JOSEPH YOUNG Drive on your LEFT. Turn onto Joseph Young Drive. CAUTION, may be tree debris over the road!

12) CONTINUE on onto Joseph Young Drive until it 'T'-Junctions back onto the Sutton Grange - Farraday Rd, at which point you will turn RIGHT. The LOOP is now completed.

13) The Sutton Grange - Farraday Rd will TERMINATE at the C794 or Old Calder Highway at Farraday. Turn LEFT, continue on for 200 metres, go UNDER motorway and turn RIGHT onto Golden Point Rd.

14) Golden Point Rd is approx 9km before it TERMINATES at the B180 or the Pyrenees Highway. Turn RIGHT onto the B180.

15) Continue on the B180 for 1km, then turn LEFT onto Fryers Rd to Fryerstown. Stay on this road going through Fryerstown, Vaughan. After Vaughan, stay on the Vaughan - Springs Rd for approx 3-4km then turn LEFT onto Kemps Rd, which will take you into Guilford. Guilford is on the A300 or the Midland Highway.

16) At the A300 turn LEFT and head in a southerly direction for approx 7km, then turn RIGHT into Flemmings Rd which will take you into Franklinford hamlet.

17) At Franklinford, cross over the Daylesford - Newstead Rd and continue on the Hepburn - Newstead Rd. This road WILL take you into Hepburn Springs / Daylesford. From here the roads are clearly marked so that you can get to Ballarat. You will be entering Ballarat from the north.

This route will take approx half a day including pee and picy breaks.

To summarise. the route takes you from:

Murchison - Colbinabbin - (back road) to Toolleen - Eppalock Dam wall - Sutton Grange - (Mt Alexander LOOP, recommended if time permits) - Farraday - Chewton - Fryerstown - Vaughan - Guilford - Franklinford - Hepburn Springs and Daylesford.

Enjoy.

Cheers the can :-)

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
Re: Coming to Ballarat? And coming into Victoria from NSW. Qld?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
Just because im lazy, can somebody translate this on a google map with link please.  :Blow
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

Agreed with Greencan tis a great ride

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
Thank You Marcus, I didn't have enough heartbeats left to do that :thumb

Only difference l could see is l went west from Toolleen instead of going thro Heathcotte to check out Eppalock before heading down to Sutton Grange. Had Mt Alexander in mind :grin

Actually l need to re-visit a few more of the back roads around Castlemaine, l think there has been a few more tracks sealed in recent years

Thanks again, Dick :-)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Oh yeah the back of MtAlaxander is good, also the back behind Harcourt dam and over the hills.

Last time I was at Farraday it was blocked off because of the FWY upgrade cutting right in front of the school

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »

Agreed with Greencan tis a great ride

A short detour (around 10km each way) at Rushworth, between A & B on Marcus' map, via this route http://goo.gl/maps/8Hb89 and you could find yourself at the old Whroo township and site of the Balaclava Open Cut goldmine: http://taramoss.com/the-ghost-town-of-whroo/

Some dirt and gravel (last time I rode it was very very condition), but IMHO, worth the effort.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Whats the estimated time for that leg? I'm trying to work out my final route and this looks like it might make a nice addition... but since i'm pressed for time I don't want to get in way too late..