Author Topic: Inattentive driver takes out two motorcycle riders  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
Inattentive driver takes out two motorcycle riders
« on: July 18, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »
Maribyrnong, Melbourne, dashcam footage.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Inattentive driver takes out two motorcycle riders
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »
Have to disagree with post title -

Gap in two lanes of traffic at intersection could mean a vehicle might be coming from there. Bikes would more than likely not have been seen by the car driver until the last moment; riders should have been aware of this possibility and reduce speed as a preventative measure.

! No longer available
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
You are probably right there, riders should have been aware of the gap and adjusted accordingly. However, from a legal point car driver is in the wrong I think.
Maybe subject should be " inattentive driver and motorcycle riders"...

Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

The following users thanked this post: Flip

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
Bad luck all around, I think.  There were lots of similar gaps in the oncoming traffic, so that one wasn't obviously a hazard. 
I'd still put the onus on the car driver.  His coming through the gap is irregular, and it was up to him to pause before crossing into the oncoming lane.  He appears to drive through without allowing for the possibility of oncoming vehicles, probably emboldened by the lack of traffic seen while traversing the gap.
The smoke (steam?) coming off the second bike is a worry.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
I just hope the riders didn't suffer too much. Right and wrong are for plod and insurance companies to work out.

It does show how quickly circumstances can change and is about as much warning as I got. So hard to avoid in that situation.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
I just hope the riders didn't suffer too much. Right and wrong are for plod and insurance companies to work out.

It does show how quickly circumstances can change and is about as much warning as I got. So hard to avoid in that situation.

Agree.

I had my say on this matter in the thread on the 3AW Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/3awbreakfast/?fref=ts

IMHO, bottom line is driver and riders at fault - riders probably exceeding speed limit (by my rudimentary calcs), and common sense would have prudent riders travelling a bit (perhaps a lot) slower and more vigilant.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
Definatley the car driver at fault.
Why didn't the car stop after hitting the first bike, instead of travelling further to collect the second?
What about the car taking the video, didn't the driver see it?

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
THERE ARE PLENTY OF TIMES WHEN THE ONLY FAULT OF THE BIKE RIDERS IS JUST BEING ON THE ROAD AT ALL !
I had one sort of similar back in 2010. Big difference was it was late Saturday morning, traffic along Albany Hwy coming out of Perth city was bumper to bumper, and almost zero traffic heading towards the city. 
There was some on-going road works outside the Bentley Plaza. I was cruising along towards the city minding my own business heading into Perth to pick up my passport and visa.
THINK, I down shifted to slow to the posted speed limit of 20 kph. Was just level with a large, black 4 wheel drive thing (Toyota Landcruiser ?) - without any warning a small white four door cage turned and shot out from behind the four wheel drive cutting straight across the highway in front of me, stopping, blocking both lanes towards the city.
Instinctively I started trying to swing to the left trying desperately to brake and miss the front of the cage. Brakes grabbed the front wheel, locking it, (told there was  some loose  sand on the road) handlebars swung full lock to the left and the bike was down throwing me up and over onto the road.    :-[ My first 'High-Side' !
Don't remember very much at all after that - two uniformed police  :cop  :cop  carried me over to the side of the highway.
Next thing I remember was being in an ambulance and heard someone saying "But you've got to feel sorry for the poor girl." 
W.T.F. ????  :eek   :cuss :cuss :cuss
Then I was straight off to hospital for a few weeks.

End result - Lots of broken plastic of my ST1100, one brand new BMW flip-up helmet written off. (right hand side / top scrapped and crushed)
Self - - concussion, memory loss, four broken ribs, bit of bruising all over.

Unbelievably, not one single witness came forwards !!!  :cuss  Lots of people heard the crash of my ST and I hitting the black-top but no-one SAW what happened !
No witnesses = no charges laid.   I didn't remember what had happened, (concussion) so that was it.

Driver was a young BLOND female  :fp  with her father in the front passengers seat !   
Must be true what they say about blonds !  :OldMan  Can't even see a police white, ST1100 with its headlights on, no other traffic around it, on a cloudless, sunny day.  :|||| :|||| :||||

That was enough to convince me that the average cage driver has a mind block when it comes to 'seeing' motorbikes on the road !

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:51:49 AM by Flip »
But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, STeveo