Author Topic: Replacing Rear Brake Pads  (Read 4267 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Replacing Rear Brake Pads
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
Broken picture links updated

With having to replace the brake pads I thought a little "how to do" wouldn't hurt. This is only for a basic pad change which can be done usually within 30 mins or so.

With the later 1996 and newer 1100A models with the CBS (combined brakes) it is advised in the manual  that all pads front and rear should be done at the same time which I think is because there is no independent front/rear braking as on other models.

As a comparison the front and rear OEM pads are identical except that the rear pads are thicker, however, the front pads will fit the rear but you won't get both rears in the front.

First up is to remove the cap screw (what I called it) with a suitably sized screw driver

Then remove the hanger pin which can be done with tools from the bike's tool kit.

Slide the old pads out next

Before installing the new pads the calliper pistons need to be pushed back in and with three of them it can be a bit tricky. Also make sure the calliper slides freely.

I've shown this parts diagram as there is a slide pin (item 13) which might cause the calliper to stick if the grease dries up and  I noticed the calliper movement isn't as free as it should so next time the wheel comes out I'll grease up the pin. The manual ignores this pin when just doing a pad change. It may also be the cause of binding brakes in some cases.

Normally I install the inner pad first making sure it locates properly; the hole needs to line up or it's wrong.

Because of the partly sticking calliper I had trouble getting the outer pad in but upon inspection I found the innermost piston hadn't been pushed back in enough. I removed the inner one (to give more room) and managed to get all three pistons pushed in and installed the outer pad first then the inner. OEM pads come with backing plates etc. and they usually fit but this time I left them put as they wouldn't go in.

Lightly grease the hanger pin before installing as the pads slide along it and then replace the cap screw (I just saw the spelling error in the pic).

-------------

I was going to replace the hanger pins but I need another item which is near the end of the pin. It's called a ring stopper but looks like a tiny O ring to me.

For next time though and looking at the rear disk I'll need to do that and do the piston seals as well. Can't complain for a bike that's done 197,000km plus

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:06:33 PM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, mikep, spanner

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Replacing Rear Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »
A little vasoline or rubber grease is all you'll need on that 'O' ring Allan. Why not just transfer it? Also what neccessitated the pin replacement? The one in the pic looks quite servicable, yes?

One, thing to bear in mind when replacing the pads blind, be sure that the pad pressings (back plate), correctly locates in its leading end retainer, it is too easily dis-lodged after the pads are removed and unfortunately new pads can still be returned, pin reinstalled, but the pads (after coming upto a high temp), will not return after the brake is released...big damage insues thereafter :'(   

Have a great Christmas🎅

Cheers the can:-)

PS Unrelated...why has Brocks boat race turned into an emoji?

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
Nicely done mate, thanks for putting this "How to" together and posting it up for everyone :-++ :-++ :-++
I'm sure it will be of help to quite a few people :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »
A little vasoline or rubber grease is all you'll need on that 'O' ring Allan. Why not just transfer it? Also what neccessitated the pin replacement? The one in the pic looks quite servicable, yes?

One, thing to bear in mind when replacing the pads blind, be sure that the pad pressings (back plate), correctly locates in its leading end retainer, it is too easily dis-lodged after the pads are removed and unfortunately new pads can still be returned, pin reinstalled, but the pads (after coming upto a high temp), will not return after the brake is released...big damage insues thereafter :'(   

Have a great Christmas🎅

PS Unrelated...why has Brocks boat race turned into an emoji?
Now where did Heather hide the Vaseline?  :eek

When I did the rear tyre back in October I had to remove the pads (usually I don't need to) to get the calliper/mount back in place and the pin looked slightly worn at one end though when I removed it this time it looked ok.

I have noticed that on previous pad changes that I've done that unless the pad is located correctly the retaining holes won't line up.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
Nicely done mate, thanks for putting this "How to" together and posting it up for everyone :-++ :-++ :-++
I'm sure it will be of help to quite a few people :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
I have the front pads to do as well but not much different to the rear as regards the process.

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:24 PM »
Alan,

I have loved these simple and not,so,simple 'how to' instructions .

Many thanks
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline mikep

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »

Have a great Christmas🎅

I've just replaced my rear brake pads,  I re used the steel backing plates. Not sure what they're for? On every car I have done the plates were to squeal when the pads wore down too much, but these were too short to touch the brake disk even with the pad material gone completely. I noticed Alan's brake pads seemed to not have the backing plates installed, unless i missed it. I agree the plates do come off easily when trying to reinstall the pads,  it happened once during my reinstall. I thunk I got them on ok, but your comment had worried me. Are they really needed?
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

I noticed Alan's brake pads seemed to not have the backing plates installed,...........Are they really needed?

Usually I would put the plates in but the calliper wouldn't move any further so I left them out. The calliper needs to come off and get an out of sight slide pin lubricated.

Whether they are needed or not is debatable as they don't make any difference to braking in or out.

The first set of pads I had done on the bike were done at a dealer and they didn't fit them but I did when I installed the OEM pad sets I bought.

Offline mikep

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
Well, they're in now and are OK. I can't really see any need for them, but i guess i'll have to think about again in about 60,000k   :whistle
1997 green ST1100 ABS
previously owned;
Honda CBX1000
BSA 650 Lightning