Author Topic: A Good Suspension Technician  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Down Under

A Good Suspension Technician
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »

Without going into too much detail I purchased a new Wilbers rear shock for my ST1300.  It's an upmarket bit of kit with 4 way adjustment.  Before purchasing I did my research on Wilbers shocks and it appeared they enjoyed a pretty good reputation.  The stock shock wasn't cutting it on our rough roads and I wanted something that had a decent range of adjustment for a more comfortable ride.  After 10 months of lack lustre performance, which involved two revalves with a combination of springs and finally an oil leak in the shock body itself I haven't been too impressed with this product.  As their Oz based Wilbers technician had given up on why the shock didn't work in the ST I was fed up and ready to sell the bike. 

Luckily a mate who owns a bike shop in Bathurst suggested I contact Frank Pons from Biketek.  I was bit apprehensive as this was the third suspension tech I had dealt with and the previous 2 were quick to take my money with little result.  Frank quickly identified that the piston in the shock body was unsuitable for the bike and not flowing enough oil which was causing the rear shock to lock up when it hit a series of bumps.  As Wilbers don't make suitable pistons, Frank was able to adapt an Ohlins piston and shim stack from data he obtained via Ohlins who have built shock sets for the Sweedish Police ST1300P's.  Too say I'm happy with how my shock is performing is an understatement!  This was all done at a very modest price.  So if anyone wants some suspension work done by someone who really knows their stuff I would recommend Frank.

This is Biketek's website for anyone who's interested:  www.biketek.com.au/

Cheers,

Tony

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: A Good Suspension Technician
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
Frank Pons is one of those people who actually seem to understand suspension, as opposed to following some chart or some such.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
When we had our ride to Naracoorte a few weeks back I called into a suspension shop for prices on updating mine.

New progressive springs and oil for the front comes in at under $200 plus labour for fitting at the dealer.

The rear will cost about $730 and it's custom bulit for the bike. He asked how often I towed a trailer, how often I had a pillion and her weight. Also the weight carried in side and top cases, oh!!! and my weight. Based on my answers a progressive shock with their standard valving should be ok. $100 option to revalve if needed. In any case it would be better than a well used 14yr OEM old shock.

I asked about adjusting for preload etc when riding solo or with pillion etc. No need to adjust settings, just hop on and ride away.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Down Under

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
Frank Pons is one of those people who actually seem to understand suspension, as opposed to following some chart or some such.

Your right, I wish I'd gone to him earlier!  One thing I've learnt is that there's plenty of manufacturers that will build a shock for the ST but few have done any real life R & D.  So, finding the right shock can be a bit hit and miss.  I was amazed, after tireless amounts of test riding, obtaining countless sag measurements etc, removing and installing the shock that Wilbers haven't done any R & D on the shock they recommend for our bikes!  Maybe the Wilbers Tech I was dealing with was a bit of a dud as well.

If I was going down this track again I'd be looking at an Ohlins set up.  They've obviously done their homework and the ride quality of the work that Frank did speaks for itself.  I don't understand why Ohlins don't make a civilian shock available.     

atoyot

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
Frank Pons is a legend in the racing world, and not just in terms of suspension, but tuning etc. Glad to hear it all turned out well! :thumb