Author Topic: Helibar Riser Question  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Craig

• ST Legend
Helibar Riser Question
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:57:25 AM »
Hi All

I am a Newbie to this group and proud owner of a beautiful Black 2011 mode ST1300 with low ks. I just recently purchased the Helibar Riser and have to say I am very impressed with the new seating position and feel. I hope to go for a ride the weekend to test them out!

Question the torque settings for the adapter and bars doesn’t seem that much. 14 ft lbs for the adapter and 12 ft lbs for the bars.... when I undid the bolts to fit the new set up they seemed a lot tighter. Can anyone comment on this? Should I use loctite?

Here are a few pics of the install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Helibar Riser Question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
You could use blue Loctite if you felt the need.
There is meant to be a tiny amount of flex at that point to minimise vibration to the hands, so I suspect that's the reason the torque figures are modest.
The next items you need to become a real long-distance rider is an Airhawk, a pair of highway pegs and a cruise control.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Craig

Offline Craig

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
Hi Biggles!

Thanks for the reply.... feel a little more relaxed about it then if its not setting off alarm bells.
Not familiar with the Airhawk, will check it out as it looks like the most cost effective solution to my current issue of a very sore backside. Was alo looking into John Moorehouse for a rebuild or even... top of the line I guess Russel.. All Day Long seat. Definitely looking for some kind of highway pegs, like PSR Highway Blades and a MCCruise Control. Your reply was most helpful.. again Thank you!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

Not familiar with the Airhawk, will check it out as it looks like the most cost effective solution to my current issue of a very sore backside.

I use an Airhawk under a sheepskin.  That arrangement serves three purposes- it holds the pad in place, it reduces the likelihood of its being stolen (I know of cases where this has happened) and it looks much neater (it's almost invisible).  I have a second one under the pillion seat.  It won't completely solve the sore butt- I still get sore after 300 kays or so- but you will be able to get straight back on the bike after refuelling and do another 300.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Scarlett Thunderbolt

• Walkerston Qld
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
... the most cost effective solution to my current issue of a very sore backside...

Hi Craig... having used and not really liked the Airhawks (rider and co-pilot seats), our eventual solution was to go and see a local auto-trimmer... I got them to cut away and replace about 25mm of firm seat foam, with soft stuff.... think old-style tractor seat.... the co-pilot had her seat saddle-moulded as well... the OEM seat cover was put back on, a few test kms ridden and we went back in to get a smidge adjustment... and a new shark skin seat cover (only because we liked it more than the OEM vinyl stuff).... $250-00 all up... good for an easy 500k/day... Cheers, John&Kate
John, Kate & Miss Scarlett
Candy Red ST1300

Offline Craig

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:38:26 AM »
Hi John and Kate!

Very much appreciate your reply. Having scoured the internet and received a few replies such as yours, it would seem I am fully armed with options ranging in price and corresponding scale of comfort! I’ll be making a decision soon on which way to go and will doubt post an update. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Scarlett Thunderbolt