Author Topic: Road work speed limits  (Read 4166 times)

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
Road work speed limits
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
Re: Road work speed limits
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
I couldn't agree more and we won't talk about;
- road profiling
- cable barriers
- surface signage that's like glass in the wet
- metal expansion joints on the corners of overheads
- round-a-bouts with negative cambers

now look what you've done...
:well  :well  :well
A.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:42:20 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Jet Patchers that Jet but dont patch

Contractors cranes that swing into the through traffic lane without warning.

Council works supervisors that think they own that worksite and dive at you at well over the open limit against the contra flow and against the traffic control lights.

Traffic control lights that don't work in sink 

Assembly of road side furniture in the wrong order with components facing the wrong way

Bridges sort of close to the road alignment but...not quite there.

Best one I'v ever seen was the grader guy drop the hooks and pull up a newelly laid bit of road 200mtrs outside the work zone.....

I recognised at least five of the bikes in some of those pics too.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
Metal or wooden road plates that are just like ice when they get wet is a personal favourite.

Pot holes that are right in the riding line for a right turn that either force you closer to the centre line or out into the oil slick centre of the lane.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
I often wonder at the intelligence (or lack there of) of the person holding the stop/slow sign.

With one lane closed it's quite obvious where you'll be going but when it's ok for you to go, you're directed to the available lane.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
I often wonder at the intelligence (or lack there of) of the person holding the stop/slow sign.

With one lane closed it's quite obvious where you'll be going but when it's ok for you to go, you're directed to the available lane.

:rofl Its because they are so proud of the great job they do looking after that one lane and they just want to show it off to the best of their ability :||||...their moment in the sun
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

atoyot

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »

:rofl Its because they are so proud of the great job they do looking after that one lane and they just want to show it off to the best of their ability :||||...their moment in the sun
I'm not a lollipop person, but I have had cause to do some traffic control at MVA's (a bit different to road works, but the same principle), and believe me, the average driver's intelligence is what is usually questionable. I assume that stop/go controllers are trained to handle situations maybe assuming that any driver might be completely clueless, and many are; they have killed many stop/go people over the years; so I can't blame them for directing drivers to do what appears to be bleedingly obvious to all. There's always one or ten.....

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:55 AM »
Oh of cause to be sure their only doing a job....

They drove to the site too so its a fair chance they may number in the stupid drivers que too.

Why do they get killed?  Because they set up in inappropriat locations hidden from long range view, They turn their backs on the traffic, They set their work station in locations that offer no easy fast egress should they need ie within the confines of concrete barriers they have no hope of scaling.

Regardless of the tactless comment re their intelligence the fact remains that road work zones are very poorly thought out more often than not and those charged with the responsibility of setting up a safe work site area for all just don't seem to do that task all that well. More often than not if you bring an issue to the supervisors attention at the site as the issue is happening they seem not to be able to grasp the situation.

Gwydir shire is a classic.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

atoyot

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
Oh of cause to be sure their only doing a job....

They drove to the site too so its a fair chance they may number in the stupid drivers que too.

Why do they get killed?  Because they set up in inappropriat locations hidden from long range view, They turn their backs on the traffic, They set their work station in locations that offer no easy fast egress should they need ie within the confines of concrete barriers they have no hope of scaling.

Yep, I've seen all that too

I wouldn't argue that they aren't included in the numbers of stupid drivers, and I'm sure that there have been and will continue to be situations where they probably contribute to their own deaths, but there are plenty of examples where no matter what mitigating actions they could have taken, the inattentive dumbarse behind the wheel would still have killed them, and other drivers in the queue doing the right thing.

The representation of idiots might seem high at some worksites, but I'd bet that it would be higher amongst all the drivers passing through it, including some professionals who should know better.

Around here, contractors look after roadwork sites, not the councils, and whilst they maybe don't always get it right, more often than not it's the impatient idiot behind the wheel who makes these worksites more dangerous than they should be. My main beef about worksites is that whilst they say workzone speed limits are enforced, they never seem to be, as there are no shortage of idiots that simply can't wait to get around everyone in front of them, once they've gone past the lollipop person. Sometimes, it's funny to watch when there are many of them at the same time; sort of like a game of who's the biggest dickhead to get to the front first!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
I once had a problem with some road works here in the west.

At the junction of the new bitumen and the compacted gravel/clay, the engineers had placed a mound of soft sand to protect the new road edge.

I hit the sand at 40Ks, on my ZZR1100 and went into a horrific tank slapper.( I came out of it ok )
Next morning I rang the Shire offices, to complain about the danger so they put me through to the site engineer. Once I explained the problem, he said that they hadnt considered bikes and would rectify the problem. I went through an hour later, and the sand had been swept away and wasnt used again..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA