Author Topic: Progressive REAR...Re-visited  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Progressive REAR...Re-visited
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
Evenin' All...

Sooo...fitted an after-market rear cushion (shocker), lately :think1...did you, or have you placed a tyre lever (or similar), under the rear tyre, then left it to compress the spring?

...crappy pic I know, but the top hole is somewhat on the large side...I have had to shim it to correctly fit the OEM, good condition fixing bolt Wot thuh

...something to think about

Cheers the can :-)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Progressive REAR...Re-visited
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
Never had an issue fitting mine when I first installed my Progressive. Nor did I  when I removed and replaced the shock for the final drive repair.

I used a hydraulic jack to support the swing arm and mine was almost like plug and play on first install. I adjusted the ride height about two full turns (seems about right) and set the rebound on 3. For two up plus trailer that setting is fine but I've recently adjusted it to two to suit most of the riding we do.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Arvo Alan et al...

I must me the only ST1100 owner that has bits that are beginning to wear out on it then :'(

All after is about an ST (1997), that I have owned since new for almost 17 years. The final drive is out of another ST (1999), I own which now has the final drive from my original bike fitted to it so I could do a trip to Townsville a few years back. The final drive from the 99' ST I rebuilt using new components and features in all the pics below. The 99' bike had had a hard life. That's a background sorted.

Apologies if photobucket has upended or distorted the images...but I think you'll get the gist of it

I found that the progressive fitted easily, too easily in fact which got me to take a second look...mainly because the OEM shock utilised compressible bushes at their mounting points, whereas the Progressive utilises a fixed ball socket...so the when I first fitted it I found an excessive amount of adverse free-play at either end, at the mount points...so first task was to shim the new hole of the TOP mount point.

I then measured the original OEM top bolt at a point where they was no wear...this compared to the non-shimmed mounting point to be 0.2mm larger...not overly excessive, but shim worthy nevertheless.

The distance between the RED arrows of the redundant spacer measured 24mm, wheres the distance between the GREEN arrows of the Progressive replacement measures 23.35mm. Again not too an excessive distance. But added to the above AND given there are no longer and compressible bushes to absorb any movement...I think getting a better fit for the TOP mount prudent. Also I have used a new non-OEM hi-tensile M10 (actually 9.80mm) bolt. Will procure a new OEM or make my own stainless steel bolt later on...but first I need to go for a ride :wink1

OK that drive from that well ridden 99' ST...finding an egg-shaped hole here shouldn't have come any any great surprise, after all when I first removed the rear wheel from the bike (which still had it's original OEM shock), a 152K's and less than 3 years old...all I got was a floor full of rust and metal fragments...yet the bike still was ride-able, albeit 1000K's from having 5 neutrals. But I digress

The egg-shaped hole of the LOWER outer mount on the final drive. The RED circle shows the area or greatest wear.  The ORANGE the rebound wear side. And the BLUE shows where the 8mm threads once were that conveniently came out with the LOWER attachment bolt.

Something you heavier riders that tow trailers may wish to think about :wink1...more in the next pic.

This 2mm lip is the only portion of the LOWER mount point that accommodates the 14mm section of the lower mount bolt on the inner surface. The rest of the load, is on the M8 x 1.25 threaded section.

Ideally I would have liked to bore out this side of the mount to at least 16mm and re-bushed it. But at present I do not have the equipment to do so. So plan-B, to ream it to a size to whereby I have a round hole to work with. This necessitated taken the outer mount (only),  hole to 14.58mm

Then to make a bespoke bolt for the lower mount (sorry it's upside down...thought I sorted that). I have made this from stainless steel.

Next, I needed to create more thread to replace that which was lost due to the hammering that has damaged the mount in the first place. I think I may be able to heli-coil this later...will be touch n go as there really isn't too much parent metal to play with here. So as the punch out hole had some surplus material, I have tapped the hole right the way through :wink1

Ta Dah! All fitted nice and snug...only wish I had a bridge port mill so I could have cut a proper hex on my bespoke bolt :'( ..I have put Locktie 243 on the threaded section and (not shown in this pic), I tied a piece of lock wire around the protruding thread as a tell-tale safe guard.

So...just leaves my verdict on the Progressive rear shock now that its fitted with out any end or side play.

Well if your what now seems to be a average Aussie bloke of about 100kg or better...you'll love it :grin If however, you a bit like me, around 70 to 75 Kg, you will find it a hard. More so if (also), like me your STead is fitted a 17 year old Corbin seat with 170K+ on it.

But I bought this knowing that and also I can re-build it to suit my now dimpled derry-air of 61 years :grin

I have loosened the spring pre-load to it's lowest physical limit without having it rattle about, which worked out to be 203mm...another bit of trivia I worked out was 1 complete revelation of the pre-loading nut, shortened (or lengthened), the spring by 1 to 1.5mm.

Cheers, the can :-)

Offline warren

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
I would love to see your photos as I have the same problem

The following users thanked this post: Flip

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
all photos have disappeared. 
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
all photos have disappeared.

Yep thats what happens when you remove them from your photobucket and forgot you shared them on a forum  :fp :butt
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »
I should delete that, we cant have examples of such idiocy on this forum..

Kardwhosy idiocy that is

:||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA