Author Topic: Motorcycle Licence Recommendations for Improving Safety  (Read 2651 times)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Motorcycle Licence Recommendations for Improving Safety
« on: February 01, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
I heard about this on the radio today and concerns South Australia

https://yoursay.sa.gov.au/decisions/mc-licensing/about

Your feedback and comments on new recommendations to improve safety for motorcyclists will be greatly valued and will contribute to future decisions on SA motorcycle licensing laws.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Motorcycle Licence Recommendations for Improving Safety
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
Page 20 of the report summarizes the recommendations.    In the main, I would support them, but there is a Nanny State overtone to the recommendations.  However it's inevitable that something was going to change based upon the simple fact that we in SA had a doubling of motorcycle deaths last year.   I do have an issue with increasing the age to 18 as a safety measure, despite young riders being over-represented in accidents.   I've had discussions with driving instructors who would like to see young people get a motorcycle licence BEFORE obtaining a car licence.  It was their view that people who graduate from motorcycles to cars make safer car drivers, as their observation and hazard recognition skills are far better.   I expect that the other recommended strategies  would make a difference to the safety of young or inexperienced riders.

However, nothing can save an idiot, determined to ignore basic safety and the rules of the road.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »
Solution:  stop allowing newly licensed riders on the road and take 10% of the old ones off the road.

Then they'll cut the accident rate by 10%.

The increase is substantially caused by the increased population and booming popularity of motorcycle riding.

I don't like Pete's idea about making car licence aspirants get a m/c licence first.  For one thing, 90% of their parents wouldn't allow it!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
I filled out the questionnaire, very relevant to me as the parent of an aspiring rider who now lives in SA.  I don't agree with lifting the age to 18, but do agree with most of the other recommendations, ESPECIALLY insisting on MOPEDs requiring a motorcycle licence of some sort.  They count in our accident stats, but don't get to pay the CTP insurance penalties that the rest of us do.
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
I think a lot of these so called safety ideas are just based on the number of road deaths and not the complete picture.

This table taken from the same site shows that motorcycle deaths compared to other vehicles is going down.

Table 1 by Alan, on Flickr

As Biggles says, increase in the population also means an increase in riders/drivers which impacts the numbers of people involved in incidents (errors of judgement - not accidents). There's to much variability using deaths alone as you can have less accidents and still have more deaths due to the number of people involved.

I like it when they tell us something like 10% of people who died never wore a seat belt; does that mean the 90% died because they wore a belt.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
Sorry about responding to such an old post but I had a bit of time on my hands what with this coronavirus thingy so was doing some browsing... :whistle

I don't like Pete's idea about making car licence aspirants get a m/c licence first.  For one thing, 90% of their parents wouldn't allow it!

I'm with Pete in regards to getting a bike licence first... :thumbs
As for parents not allowing it, too bad, if they want their little darlings to have a car licence they'd have no choice!  :grin
I know it's never gonna happen though but I can dream...

I've always thought that having to have a car licence first before being able to get a motorcycle first (as the mugs in Queensland require) was ridiculous...
What part of driving a car prepares you for riding a motorcycle???  :OldMan

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »

I've always thought that having to have a car licence first before being able to get a motorcycle first (as the mugs in Queensland require) was ridiculous...
What part of driving a car prepares you for riding a motorcycle???  :OldMan
Well I had my daughter and son on dirt bikes at an early age so there ability to ride a bike was not a factor when they wanted to get there bike licence first . However I advised them to get there car licence first  Spend 12 months on the road and observe the driving behaviour of some cage drivers observe and become aware of speed zones look at the road and become confident with reading it . Taught them about target fixation and to practice avoiding pot hole and bumps by not looking at them . In general I told them to drive the car like they were riding a motor bike
I may be a mug and I may have been ridiculous but I felt that when my children did get there licence and started road riding they were far more aware of there surrounding and felt they were a lot safer than if I had of shoved them on a bike with a L plate first up
That’s why I feel driving a car can help to prepare you for road riding on a motor bike
How ever it does stuff all on teaching you how to actually ride the motor bike

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 07:35:40 PM »
Okay, I concede there may be SOME benefit...although, I reckon the requirement of getting a car licence first is more about discouraging people from bothering to get a motorcycle licence at all. Only the really keen riders will persevere, in my opinion.

I'm surprised the other States haven't followed Queensland's lead though, especially Vicroads... :well

2005 Honda ST1300A