Author Topic: ST1300 Replacement  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
Re: ST1300 Replacement
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 08:36:34 PM »

You sound like an old hand at this caper.

The only time I have had anything of mine over the pits was an American import 1200 Goldwing, and it passed first time.

It was a country inspection station though, and the inspector was more interested in talking about it than finding things to pull me up on.

And being country, he is a local and runs the risk of meeting his customers in the pub, so he can't be too much of an arse.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
ST1300 Replacement
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 03:13:38 PM »
Finally, the original ST1300 is re-registered.  Damn, I'll have to pay tolls on East Link now.

You sound like an old hand at this caper.

The only time I have had anything of mine over the pits was an American import 1200 Goldwing, and it passed first time.

It was a country inspection station though, and the inspector was more interested in talking about it than finding things to pull me up on.

And being country, he is a local and runs the risk of meeting his customers in the pub, so he can't be too much of an arse.

Getting a VIV certificate is more arduous than and is an addition to both the RWC and VicRoads inspection.  The VIV (Vehicle Identification Validation) is an additional process for vehicles on the repairable write-off register, this is mainly to avoid vehicle re-birthing, which in the old days was pretty prevalent.  I suspect it has been successful in preventing re-births, although there's no doubt in my mind that truly professional, crooked repairers would still succeed.

Anyways, to get a VIV an engineer's report is required on the structural integrity of the frame (is was a write-off after all - $600), documented (description and pics) evidence of the repair process, receipts for all replacement parts (new or old).

The VIV inspector knocked me back 1st time ($550) because there were some pics missing (these were of the RH fairing and top box being sprayed), and because I had copies (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!) of receipts, not originals.  The 2nd VIV inspection ($110) was successful.

The VIV inspector - only three VicRoads' authorised motorcycle VIV inspectors in Victoria.  For a State of nearly 7 million, WTF!   Although, I suppose us Victorians should be grateful, there are none in NSW (10 million), as NSW does not have repairable write-offs.  Not sure what the situation is with other States and Territories.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Dragonstaff