Author Topic: Find-A-Town, Make a Word  (Read 97583 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Find-A-Town, Make a Word
« Reply #400 on: September 19, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
I haven't forgotten about it,  just need an R.

There's always the Wildcard...   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Bodø

« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
Frederickton (new south wales)
Rose Park (south australia)
Amity Point (queensland)
Maiden Gully (victoria)
Echunga (south Australia)

Previous words:

ABS
Alloy
Belt
Brakes
Cables
Chains
Clutch
Crankshaft
Dials
Engine
Exhaust
Fender
Filament
Filter
Forks
Frame
Fuses
Gasket
Gauges
Gears
Globes
Gloves
Gopro
Grease
Grips
Guard
Heated
Helmet
Hooter
Honda
Hub
Indicator
Injector
Jacket
Lever
Lights
Links
Mirror
Needle
Number
Oldruckmesser
OzSTOC
Pannier
Peg
Pegs
Petrol
Pillion
Piston
Plates
Rider
Rubber
Saddle
Screen
Shaft
Speedo
Speedometer
Spoke
Spokes
Suzuki
Swingarm
Tacho
Tank
TopBox
Towbar
Turbocharger
Tyre
ULP
Valves
Versys
Visor
Weight
Wires
Zip Tie
Zipper

New word:

LUBE

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
It's ironic, but I've been waiting for the game to move on so I could use some of my 360 town sign photos.  A four letter word comes up and I don't have an "L"!     :'(
I'll try to rectify that ASAP.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Bodø

« Reply #403 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
I have few L's but a shortage of R's.  I went to Rose Park to get that one.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
So here's the repaired post.  Now everyone can feel better.  I certainly do!   :grin

They really need to mow their lawn out at Eidsvold!

Your next word:
cowling
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:29:56 PM by Biggles »

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #405 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
Bodø- your list is missing "reflector".  Need to add "lube" and "cowling" now.

Bodø

« Reply #406 on: October 05, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »
I had added lube to my saved list after posting that but indeed didn't have reflector.

Bodø

« Reply #407 on: October 05, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
Goodo.  One observation.  Direction signs like Evanston are a dime a dozen.  They're not the town signs we struggle to get after seeing plenty of the direction and direction with distance signs.

Whereas road name signs are rare.  :nahnah

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #408 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
Goodo.  One observation.  Direction signs like Evanston are a dime a dozen.  They're not the town signs we struggle to get after seeing plenty of the direction and direction with distance signs.

Whereas road name signs are rare.  :nahnah

I know- I know.  I was desperate having ridden every street leading into the suburb.  I'm trying to keep the game active...
I'll replace the letter when I grab an "L", hopefully this weekend.    :-[

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #409 on: October 09, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
OK kiddies, Reply #404 has been repaired.  I had a chance to go over the south side of the river.  It was a bit like going to Africa- that's the Logan demographic that I observed.  I do realise that if I was seeking an "S" I would have found a different cultural group in nearby Sunnybank.

Bodø

« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
I currently need an I.  There were none in Inkerman on my last two visits, I wasn't on the bike when we went to Inglewood on weekend and football season is over so shan't be visiting Ingle Farm for a while.  Ironbank or Inman Valley are my two closests after work.  If the weather is better tomorrow...

Online Brookester

• Brookester
  • ST Legend
« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
OK kiddies, Reply #404 has been repaired.  I had a chance to go over the south side of the river.  It was a bit like going to Africa- that's the Logan demographic that I observed.  I do realise that if I was seeking an "S" I would have found a different cultural group in nearby Sunnybank.
Very brave venturing to the Southside...Little Mountain or Landers Shoot not viable???
One day you will wake up and there won't be anymore time to do the things you've always wanted so do them NOW!!!
Remember there are 7 days in a week and Someday isn't one of them!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #412 on: October 09, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
Very brave venturing to the Southside...Little Mountain or Landers Shoot not viable???

Logan is closer than both those (even though it cost me $2.50 to return via the Gateway Arterial).  I'd not heard of Landers Shoot before.  I'll have a look next time I'm up that way.  It's a good excuse to go for a ride into some very nice country.  And The Bride is OK with it if I take her anywhere for tea and scones.    :whistle

The following users thanked this post: Brookester

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #413 on: October 09, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »
I currently need an I.  There were none in Inkerman on my last two visits, I wasn't on the bike when we went to Inglewood on weekend and football season is over so shan't be visiting Ingle Farm for a while.  Ironbank or Inman Valley are my two closests after work.  If the weather is better tomorrow...

Good man- go for it.  No good waiting for Williamson...

Bodø

« Reply #414 on: October 31, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »
I finally got to Ironbank today so here goes:

Central Darling (nsw)
Owen (sa)
Wentworth (nsw)
Loxton (sa)
Ironbank (sa)
Nelson (vic)
Gleneagle (qld)

Next word: RISERS

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
Ahhmmmm ........ might need to lodge an appeal, or at least seek some clarification.

• Central Darling Shire - if it looks like a Shire, sound like a Shire, it's probably a Shire - not a town or suburb.  Having said that, I've slipped in a city or three, but a not Shire.
  • Gleneagle pic - can't see a motorcycle, can see a screen but the lower RH corner has what appears to be the border of a car windscreen.  Might need a front on pic of the said motorcycle screen to be sure, to be sure.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

« Reply #416 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
Re: Shires (in Australia)
Shires are generally functionally indistinguishable from towns, borough, municipalities, or cities.

Re: Gleneagle
What you see is the screen of my bike (the black bit in the bottom right corner), but my mate's bike is also in the picture behind the white ute.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2018, 12:35:56 AM »
Just got in an hour or so ago with a bunch of Town and Suburb signs in the bag.  I have 10 day's worth of stuff to catch up on,  but will be onto the photos ASAP. 
I take Williamson's points on board,  but I'm just glad to see the game moving again.  We cut each other a bit of slack in the spirit of the game and abide by our own standards.  At least there aren't any wildcard pix there, so in the absence of an official adjudicator I'm willing to say it's a fair spelling.
If we are to be pedantic, the title says "Town" and we've broadened it to Suburbs and Cities.  It's a bit of a stretch to call a shire a town.  Municipality yes, borough (sounds like something SA would have) maybe, but shires are a district encompassing potentially numerous towns and geographical features.
Anyhoo, I'll be along soon, unless Williamson or Pete beat me to it.
And anyone else willing to look weird stopping in hopeless locations photographing signs- please join in.    :thumbs
You can reuse towns that have already been used by others- just put your own bike in the pic.  You can use different signs from the same town.  In the interest of not having a static collection that you just keep recycling, there's an understanding that once you use a town's sign, you have to go looking for another sign with the required initial letter, and your "used" pic gets filed for another occasion.
The rules are up there somewhere- there's provision for a Wildcard- check the parameters up there...   :grin

Bodø

« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2018, 05:39:36 AM »
Municipality yes, borough (sounds like something SA would have)

My quote was from wikipedia which says that South Australia's equvilant of a shire is called a district which are all considered to be LGA's.  An old term for areas here were called Hundreds.  I don't think I have seen a borough in Australia.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
My quote was from wikipedia which says that South Australia's equvilant of a shire is called a district which are all considered to be LGA's.  An old term for areas here were called Hundreds.  I don't think I have seen a borough in Australia.

It's Olde Englishe.
The historical area Mary Borough in Queensland became the city of Maryborough.

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
Re: Shires (in Australia)
Shires are generally functionally indistinguishable from towns, borough, municipalities, or cities.

I think we might have to agree, to disagree on that matter.  But seeing as I seem to be out on a limb and by myself on this one, I'll let this one go (except for some comments on boroughs below to learn Bill something).

What you see is the screen of my bike (the black bit in the bottom right corner), but my mate's bike is also in the picture behind the white ute.

Mmmmm ....... as above, the original thread; http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5610.0

An extract:  The idea of this game is to ....... take pictures of your bike with the ....... sign.

IMHO, a pic of an almost indistinguable part of a bike, or a pic someone else's bike are not in the spirit of the game. 

Boroughs

Having worked with or at local government in Victoria since the mid 70's, this something I know a little about.  In Victoria we used to have 210 Councils.  In 1994, the Kennett Government dissolved the 210 councils and created 78 new councils.   Incidentally he also sacked 1,600 elected councillors - so it wasn't so bad after all.   In 2002, the Shire of Delatite was split into the Rural City of Benalla and the Shire of Mansfield, so we now have 79 Councils.

According to my Victorian Municipal Directory 1986, the 210 Councils included Eaglehawk Borough, Kerang Borough, Port Fairy Borough, Queenscliffe Borough, Sebastopol Borough and Wonthaggi Borough.  Wikipedia now tells us that the Borough of Queenscliffe (don't why the name switcharoo) is now the only Borough left in Victoria.

We also had a City of Maryborough in Victoria, this was proclaimed in 1857 (before the City of Maryborough in Queensland which was proclaimed in 1861).  The City of Maryborough merged with the Shire of Bet Bet (near our Dunolly RTE earlier this year) and the Shire of Tullaroop in 1995.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »
Back into it!  I had enough in the Library to cover this one without needing to process the recent acquisitions.
Roma
Inglewood
Samford Village
Eungella (thanks National Rally Ride!)
Rolleston
Samsonvale

Next up:
PLASTIC

Bodø

« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2018, 09:19:45 PM »
Parawa (sa)
Lyndhurst (sa)
Ashmont (nsw)
Saltia (sa)
Talgarno (vis)
Iraak (vic)
Campbells Forest (vic)

STRAPS

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #423 on: November 26, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
That might be a bike screen in the bottom left of the Parawa photo, but whatever, it's a classic rider's photo!    :rofl

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #424 on: November 26, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
Sandgate QLD
Taroom QLD
Ross TAS
Aberdeen TAS
Poatina TAS
St George QLD

Hinges