Author Topic: A great Watts, Amps, Volts Calculator...  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
A great Watts, Amps, Volts Calculator...
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
This will help take the headache out of your calcs....

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: A great Watts, Amps, Volts Calculator...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Not a bad find, tho I do my calcs in the head and do a bit of rounding and guesstimation
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Not a bad find, tho I do my calcs in the head and do a bit of rounding and guesstimation
:crackup  :crackup  :crackup
Now I used the same method in my schooling some years ago.
Let's just say the levels of guesstimating must be different.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
Hi guys, whilst I like the calculator, I must urge a little caution, the calculator will give you numerical answers but without a real understanding of the theory underpinning the questions a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. As Douglas Adams said in The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, "...the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42, but what is the question".

Be aware that there is far more to this subject than simply being told answers to calculations, there are considerations outside of the calculations that only experience teaches, and the bad thing about experience is that you usually get it just after you really needed it. For example, I saw a circuit diagram in one of the forums a little while ago which had a 20A fuse feeding a 30A cable to two 40A relays, the thing about this is that the current is controlled by the lowest common denominator, which in that case is the 20A fuse, so the 40A relays were twice as big as required. Probably more than twice as expensive as required and certainly physically bigger than required.

There has recently been a lot of talk about relays and their use and requirement. In reality a relay is simply a switch, off and on only, and you use them simply so that you don't have to route the whole current required through the operating switch. For example, who wants to have all the current required to operate two or more HIDs (20A or more) having to be carried up the handlebars using 30A cable, through a big bulky 30A switch and back down again through 30A cable? no-one. It is unnecessarily risky when a simple relay installation means you only need run thin cables capable of handling no more than 1/4A to a small switch because the real current is routed through the relay.

Relay coils and contacts can have diodes put across them to reduce switching transients and thus reduce the effects of arcing in heavy current circuits.

Lastly heavy currents mean voltage drops in cables and heat generated in cables which means wasted energy and lower operating parameters at the items being powered. Less efficient systems are caused by badly designed installations and only experience can teach the best way to create the installation in the first place, not a calculator.

I'm not saying that the calculator isn't a useful tool, but it is only one of many tools in the toolkit required for good solid installations that are safe and reliable and will not fail you when you most need them. I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't do your own mods, what I'm saying is that you should think about asking advice from those people who have a deeper understanding of the subject, they will probably think of things you hadn't simply because they have more experience of the broader subject.

Brock, any comments?
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

terrydj

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
If this has something to do with Motorcycle electrics and not knowing anything about anything I'd just like to know why such stuff is needed or maybe deemed important???????
Been running for years all kinds of stuff like GPS's, Intercoms, Spotlights, 12v Cig Lighter Sockets, Radios and never even gave a thought to how many Amps things drew??????
Just made sure that their was an inline fuse and all me joints were sealed so no wire touched metal.
All I know is that the majority of stuff you put on a bike draws bugger all Amps and now with HID Spotlights/Driving Lights its less.
I just think that if the bike starts the batteries good and must be getting charged, other than that I'm a dummy

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
Your comments are true Whiz, but over engineering wont hurt but going the other way can. There is nothing to lose having a 20A fuse protecting 30 A wiring except a couple of dollars.

The heat generated by high current draw,is one of the reasons I used good crimping tools, the best place to make heat is a poor connection.

If you dont fully understand electrics, bigger is better. It takes a bit of experience to mix theory and practicality. I use heavyish wire to the switches for relays, as its what I have on hand, and weight isnt a factor (space may be but). In aircraft weight is a factor, so light wire to control relays and heavy wire for the load is the go.

Terry,

For the most part you can get away with just hooking up stuff and away it goes. Its when the stuff is connected with light wire and a heavy draw item is connected (like a compressor) that things can go wrong. A poor connection and light wire can get very hot very quickly, melting wires around it and causing major damage and even fire. If the right fuse is fitted for the wiring/load then the possible problems are reduced. Poor crimp connections can be a bugger to find.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

terrydj

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
"Yeap" after reading that good stuff about crimping tools you posted I went out yesterday and brought me one from JAYCAR. Many thanks :thumbsup just Love stuff that works

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
I tend to prefer a tree and branch approach.  Main wire is protected by the main fuse.  All the devices powered off the main wire have their own fused circuit so that you know what caused the short rather than just have the main fuse go, as well just one circuit goes rather than the whole lot.  A bit like the Honda OEM approach with the fuseable link, 30A main fuse and separate fuses for various circuits (at least on the ST11 from 96 on).
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »

If you dont fully understand electrics, bigger is better.

Of cause as long as we are not talking about fuses.

This is what happended to the surrounding wires when some idiot air con mechanic but too big a fuse in my daughters car. The actual wire it was protecting was burnt through.

Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

terrydj

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:34 AM »
Dont you just love experts????????? and too think your daughter paid this expert to do this

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
While it can be annoying to have a fuse blow while tracking down a short, the consequences of the fuse not doing its job is far worse   :o
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
Saaz, that is SOOO true, the fuse is there to protect the rest of the system, and if you over-rate a fuse too much you might as well put a 6-inch nail in there (which, by the way, I have seen in the house fuse box of a rented house I lived in many years ago). The general rule of thumb is to put in a fuse that is 25% greater than the expected continuous current requirement...or if a more precise level of protection is needed, use a slow-blow fuse rated at 5-10% over, these absorb the switching transients and in-rush currents without blowing.

One of the big problems in UK a few years ago was that electrical suppliers were selling mains electrical plugs which were already fitted with a 13A fuse which will source over 3KW without blowing, that's plenty enough to arc weld with!! Scary! and because there was a fuse in the plug already most people didn't bother to change it for a more reasonable size.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:58:33 AM by Whizz »
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A