Author Topic: 12v Power outlet  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
12v Power outlet
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
I have just finished installing a 12v power outlet up front.

I don't like drilling into or modifying my vehicles, so I make most of my farkles removable (if possible).
I have made a dashboard and may install it in the near future, but I wanted a way of getting power there ready.
So this is what I did:

I used a 12v accessory socket rather than a cigarette lighter socket because I prefer the good connection they make (and I have had a few pairs of these on hand).
I bought a Multi-cigarette lighter style socket outlet that also has USB outlets that I have modified to plug into the 12v accessory socket.

Yeah, I could have wired the multi-outlet straight to power but this allows me to unplug the multi-outlet if it degrades (or remove it out of the weather), gets damaged or fails. I can also put a dedicated 12v accessory plug on the dashboard to connect to the socket.

If I choose not to fit a dashboard I can make a simple holder on the handlebars.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: 12v Power outlet
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »
Hi mate - are you finding this to be working fine still?

Any probs/improvements?

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »
I know this is about power but how high are those risers and I assume new pipes for clutch brake etc
 :wht11
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
G'day Diesel. Yes, the outlet is still there and has become part of the bike. :) Still in the same condition, so no problems at all.

Wombat: the risers are Rox 3". I had to buy an extended brake line for the front brake only. I bought the extended line through another member on the Honda CX Register (forum) as the fittings are the same and he had great prices. Some of the wiring was re-routed to make sure that there was no tension on them. I really should finish it off by making a pretty cover (to replace the original plastic trim).