Author Topic: Driving an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne / the Downsides of EVs  (Read 3841 times)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Those contemplating buying an EV may find this article helpful, especially if you're looking at doing long trips...  :popcorn

http://tinyurl.com/33dkt95v

John Cadogan's take on it:
https://youtu.be/IS5JPqZcdI0?si=hjM4b4uje_DBWKbo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:00:57 PM by ruSTynutz »

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
Re: Driving an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »
 :Stirpot
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 06:47:40 PM »
No stirring intended, Steve... :beer

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 07:02:02 PM »
What is interesting though is that it cost more to charge up the EV than it cost for petrol doing the same trip in her old Corolla.
Then there's the extra time spent waiting for enough charge to make it to the next charge station and to top it off the extra hassle involved with payment... :o

Think I'll stick with my little diesel!  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 09:31:12 PM »
Cadigan is just a bloviating oil shill,now that he is sort of internet famous.

I drove Brisbane to Cairns over 2 days, and back over 3 days for $228.60, including the final charge at home. The return trip was only slower because we were catching up with family.

Keep sniffing fumes, paying through the nose for petrol, and fit very expensive servicing. The Saudis thank you for your loyalty, and  spreading their BS unpaid.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »

Keep sniffing fumes, paying through the nose for petrol, and fit very expensive servicing. The Saudis thank you for your loyalty, and  spreading their BS unpaid.

I assume you're still sniffing them as well unless your Spyder is battery powered!  ;-*

Cheers  :beer

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 11:48:51 PM »
Barely ride it, the Tesla is too much fun.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 07:33:09 AM »
That's a bit sad re your Spyder...  :fp

While it's great you're loving your Tesla and I'm sure you're not on your own, it doesn't hurt to acknowledge the possible downsides of EV ownership, which my original post was doing.

The drive from Sydney to Melbourne article had nothing whatsoever to do with John Cadogan but as he had done a video reporting on it, I included a link.
On the whole, I found the article (and Cadogan's video) quite interesting (and enlightening) so hopefully others did too...   

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 11:07:52 AM »
... On the whole, I found the article (and Cadogan's video) quite interesting (and enlightening) so hopefully others did too...   

On the whole, I find Cadogan's videos interesting.  I also often find him very and unnecessarily coarse (to the point that I won't listen to him in mixed and younger [grandchildren] company) and abrasive.   He can also be divisive, perhaps not unlike some of the threads on this and other Forums (any others on here also on ADVRider?).

:whistle
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 01:37:36 PM »
I mostly agree with you, Michael!  :thumbsup
If you can ignore his (at times) crudeness & mocking and just concentrate on the facts etc that he presents, he does make a lot of sense.
That doesn't mean I always agree with everything he says though...

As for threads being divisive at times, I honestly can't see that there's really anything wrong with a bit of healthy discussion (as long as it doesn't get personal) as it can make the forum a bit more interesting...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 05:29:40 PM »
I have to skip a lot of Cardogan's intro, especially his tediously long adverts for the stuff he pushes to make money. And his car buying business. And a lot of his sniff snorting sarcasm.  After that, if you have a high tolerance for circumlocution, you can often learn something.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 06:02:48 PM »
.... circumlocution ....

Who else had to look that up?  Come on, be honest!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 06:25:07 PM »
.... circumlocution ....

See- you learned something.  At least he wasn't heavily into tautology.  Although even that might be attributed to him.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 06:38:10 PM »
.... circumlocution ....

I thought that was something i had done when i was a little kid... :o

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Bodø

• Where's My keys
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »
.... circumlocution ....

I didn't have to look that up.  Ignorance is bliss.
Seriemester 2020 🏆 🟧 Kawasaki Versys 1000
Seriemester 2021 🏆 ⬛ Yamaha Xmax 300
Seriemester 2023 🏆 🟥 Honda Goldwing 1800

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 09:14:52 AM »
So a quick calculation seems to imply there's something amiss with the figures she's quoted.
I looked up the locations she used for charging and it would appear that she used only EVIE chargers. They quote $0.65/KwH for their 350Kw chargers. So working backwards from that, I figure she used 323KwH for her return trip.
Most EV's use around 16KwH/100km which would equate to 256KwH and $166, but her figures imply 20KwH/100km. So either she was flooring it the whole time, or managed to choose a time with strong headwinds.

And then Her Corolla apparently achieves just over 4L/100km. So it's obviously a hybrid, not an ICE.

So it appears to me that her analysis is seriously flawed and the headline she has created is a lie.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:18:17 AM by cravenhaven »

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 10:40:18 AM »
That's a bit sad re your Spyder...  :fp

While it's great you're loving your Tesla and I'm sure you're not on your own, it doesn't hurt to acknowledge the possible downsides of EV ownership, which my original post was doing.

The drive from Sydney to Melbourne article had nothing whatsoever to do with John Cadogan but as he had done a video reporting on it, I included a link.
On the whole, I found the article (and Cadogan's video) quite interesting (and enlightening) so hopefully others did too...   

The journalist he was referring to, was either a complete numpty, wilfully ignorant, or a paid oil shill. (The EV community discussed the BS in the article in depth)

I can show you heaps of videos of different EVs doing Sydney to Melbourne and return, with no issues at all.

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 10:48:46 AM »
Our trip to Cairns, (which included towing a trailer in Cairns), used 14.5 kWh/100 km, for a total cost of $228.61 over 3,5857 km using 549.45 kWh.
Combination of Tesla SuperCharger, Evie, Qld Electric Super Highway/ChargeFox chargers, and a couple of freebies in Cairns.

At no stage was I trying to do an eco run. Everywhere was at posted speed limits.

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 05:26:31 PM »
That is very impressive.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2023, 05:47:32 PM »
So a quick calculation seems to imply there's something amiss with the figures she's quoted.

Maybe there is but she did say in her article:

"Though this doesn't count the fuel I start with - just stops - as I didn't count the charge I started with in the EV when working out costs."

And then Her Corolla apparently achieves just over 4L/100km. So it's obviously a hybrid, not an ICE.

I'm not really up with Toyota's various models but pretty sure they didn't have a Corolla Hybrid back in 2011...

What I do find interesting though is no-one is commenting on the issues she had with the way less than quoted range of the Hyundai, the pain in the bum requirements to have different apps and the lack of connectivity when attempting a charge.
Then of course there is the extra time lost while charging, plus possible range anxiety, both being an issue for some when attempting to cover long distances...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2023, 07:30:06 PM »
Then of course there is the extra time lost while charging, plus possible range anxiety, both being an issue for some when attempting to cover long distances...

Something I don't have to worry about with my little diesel as it could do the Sydney to Melbourne run non-stop easily and still have plenty of fuel left to explore the city before even thinking about re-fueling!  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2023, 10:22:08 PM »
There seems to be another problem cropping up for EVs in the states, according to a clip I watched some where.

Low lifes are stealing the charger cables probably for the scrap metal value. Tho some are blaming the anti EV group for it..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2023, 09:01:38 AM »

"Though this doesn't count the fuel I start with - just stops - as I didn't count the charge I started with in the EV when working out costs."

I'm not really up with Toyota's various models but pretty sure they didn't have a Corolla Hybrid back in 2011...

What I do find interesting though is no-one is commenting on the issues she had with the way less than quoted range of the Hyundai, the pain in the bum requirements to have different apps and the lack of connectivity when attempting a charge.
She "filled" the EV within 130km's of Sydney, so it arrived back with more than half a "tank". She doesnt say where she would have filled the Corolla, but its probably not within cooee of Sydney.
I'd be very surprised to hear of a standard ICE doing 4l/100km at highway speeds, but prepared to be educated!.
Fuel economy lies have been told since cars were being sold. Some of us recall whn the government had to step in and mandate that advertising had to include highway cycle and town cycle figures. For some reason this doesnt seem to apply to EV's unfortunately. The other problem with EV range figures is that thereare competing (and irrelevant) standards for range of EV's. Some manufacturers quote the NEDC figures, which are total rubbish for Australian conditions. The WLTP standards are better but still way off the mark, The EPA is the closest, but is an American standard and doesnt cover all vehicles in Australia. Then of course EV's perform so much better in cities than in the country. I think we've all just learned to live with it and work out the actual range ourselves, just like you do with your ICE. And range anxiety extends to ICE as well, in fact I had exactly that on the same route when riding from Melbourne to Sydney, when I assumed I would be able to fill up at any of the many highway servos, only to find that there werent any on the highway until Tarcutta and I was running on fumes by then.
The billing method for chargers is just woeful and all EV owners are annoyed by it. In the UK the govt finally stepped in and mandated billing to be based on standard credit cards rather than apps and private charge cards. Australian govt is way behind the times here, but the current state and federal govts are stepping up and EV charger companies are finally responding..

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 09:48:21 AM »
Quote from: cravenhaven link=topic=15316.msg1367434#msg1367434
I'd be very surprised to hear of a standard ICE doing 4l/100km at highway speeds, but prepared to be educated!

I could achieve under 5l/100km driving at around 85km/h to 90km/h in my 2005 Honda Civic manual (this was on a trip to Traralgon along the Princes Highway in 2019).  What really peeved me is that I could not even do that on the ST1300.

Back in the '80's, the family XF Falcon Wagon (4.1 litre, alloy head, 3 speed auto), we drove from Sydney to Melbourne on one tank.  Filled-up at Liverpool just before the entering the Freeway, drove through the night and filled-up again at Kalkallo.  Don't remember the details apart from achieving the magic 10l/100km figure. 

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 07:09:36 PM »
 :popcorn
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.