Farkles, Gear & Accessories > What have you done in the shed today

An afternoon in the shed.

(1/14) > >>

Dragonstaff:
After an oil and filter change, along with the usual checks and a clean and re-oil for the K&N air filter yesterday, and a quick, 70km, run into town for milk and a few bits for the Mrs, today she got a bath.

It doesn't happen often, because the dirt road would have me doing nothing else if I let it.

pault:
found 4 litres of sump oil spilt in the shed, 6 pack to clean up

Dragonstaff:
I decided today to get back to the Goldwing that I haven't touched for a year or two, when I managed to convince myself that I had forgotten to put fresh moly paste on the drive splines when I put the back wheel back in after getting tyres fitted. So, off with the top box and panniers, which means off with the seat so that the wiring can be unplugged. Then remove the lower shock mounting pins so that the axle can fall below the mufflers. It has been sitting for a while and the swingarm is a bit stiff, so tie the shockers up with a bit of mig wire so that I can lift and drop the wheel a bit.

Oh look, the wheel is on the floor but the axle still doesn't clear.

Out with the Supercheap bike lift and gingerly lift the bike until I can get a bit 70x45 pine under the centre stand, and let it down again. Bounce the swingarm a bit more and we have clearance. All of half a millimetre, but enough. Take the axle out. then let the left hand shock down so that the caliper will swing out of the way. Then remove the wheel. Easy-Peasy.

What is that I see? Fresh moly paste on the drive spline? And in the hub? I didn't forget it, huh!

Oh well, at least it went back together easily, and I know my bike lift still works.

That will teach me (maybe) not to leave things sitting for so long.

West Aussie Glen:
I solved the problem of clearance between the muffler and the axle by using a piece of scaff tube and a four pound hammer. Now there is a nice curvature on the bottom of the muffler and the axle just slides out. My Honda should have done it.

Biggles:

--- Quote from: Dragonstaff on February 06, 2023, 09:18:45 PM ---That will teach me (maybe) not to leave things sitting for so long.

--- End quote ---

and to keep records of all the maintenance you do.

That saga reminded me of one of the reasons I only kept my lovely Wing for 9 months.  Maintenance was a convoluted PITA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version