Author Topic: The Caravan Thread  (Read 38 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
The Caravan Thread
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:53:15 AM »
After a couple of recent other posts I reckon that this topic needs a dedicated thread.

After an absence of nearly 30 years, Helen and I have re-entered the World of Caravanning.   Our previous era of caravanning was not as serious as today's, as previously we used my Mum & Dad's old caravan on-site in Lorne, only moved it a few times, but we had many, many happy holidays.

Skip to 2024, boy-o-boy, there are so many campervan, motorhome, caravan and tow vehicle options out there, it could get very confusing, and expensive.  I'm not sure where the maximum $$ outlay lies, but certainly in excess of $150,000.  We aren't sure sure if caravanning is for us, so I was not prepared to outlay that sort of $$, but even an investment of less than a third of that amount requires some serious thought and consideration.

Many criteria were on the check list, some optional, some NOT (tandem axle, ensuite van, diesel tow vehicle), and here's what we settled on.  Had the Jeep for a couple of months now, it's very nice, seems to have plenty of pull and surprisingly very economical, but expecting a difference when towing.

Only picked-up the van on Wednesday, it's currently at a mate's auto electrician workshop, getting prepared for a shakedown weekend.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: The Caravan Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 01:19:41 PM »

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
Re: The Caravan Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 01:38:20 PM »