Honda ST1100 Section > Electrics & Electronics - Volts, Amps and Fuses ST1100

Wire Crimp (terminals) tools and wire.

(1/11) > >>

Brock:
Seeing folk are starting to do their own wiring, its time to put a few hints and how to dos up. And do nots.

Do get a good crimping tool for red yellow and blue crimps. Jaycar has some good ones but they arent cheap

A set of these  cat TH1829 are suitable (easily changeable Jaws)

Or these (my prefered) as these have Quick interchangeable jaws for many jobs  cat TH2000

Do not use anything like these, the performance is less than poor

New pic soon

Brock:
To do a good wiring job, good terminals are needed, not the realy cheap jobs as they dont crimp properly.

The Narva range are good. I prefer to use the pre insulated terminals, or in some cases even the ones with the heat shrink insulation, though these dont have a large range.

Uninsulated crimps can be used, and in some situations are preferred. These will need a heat shrink sleeve fitted.  Uninsulated crimps use a different tool than insulated something like this is good for the plug terminals.

saaz:
Brock, what is your preferred wire stripper?  I use that last tool to do it, as at least it can do that. I use the first crimper, and it works far better to give consistent good crimps.  I have an old uninsulated crimp tool that my father had.

Brock:
For stripping, I use a knife with a not too sharp blade. It only has to cut the insulation not the wire, I use a thumb nail to remove the sleeve. For aircraft wiring I use a proper stripping tool, though some of those are not so great.

Biggles:
I have these from ALDI:

They break all Brock's rules, but I find they work for me.
The stripping function is not left-hander friendly, but does the job neatly.
The range of crimping slots covers my needs.
It also cuts the wire (but always leaves one strand uncut- go figure).    :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version