Author Topic: Pairing SENA SMH10 headsets - the manual has it wrong  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
Pairing SENA SMH10 headsets - the manual has it wrong
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
For some time since we got the SENA SMH10 headsets we had trouble getting them to pair.  Tried for so long to use the method from the manual, but have now worked out that the manual is wrong.  Tried pushing the same jog dial as we had held for five seconds, then usually ended up turning the units on and off and just pushed jog dials at random until the units spoke to each other.

We've found that if you hold one unit's jog dial down for the five seconds until the "Intercom Pairing" announcement, then to complete the pairing you have to press the OTHER unit's jog dial to establish the intercom pairing.  The units don't pair if you tap the SAME jog dial that you held down for five seconds.

The procedure which works on our sets is:

1.   Turn on both SMH10 headsets (A and B)
2.   Press and hold the Jog Dial on either headset (A or B) for 5 seconds until LEDs of both headsets start flashing red.  You will hear a voice prompt saying, “Intercom pairing”
3.   Tap the Jog Dial on the OTHER headset (tap B if you held A for five seconds, tap A if you held B for five seconds) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and the intercom connection is automatically established.

We're just using the headsets for rider to pillion conversations and love the units, they were easy to install, they're clear, easy to use, easy to recharge and refit to the helmets.  Know they do so much more, but we're perfectly happy just using them as an intercom.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Lionel

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Pairing SENA SMH10 headsets - the manual has it wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »
If only manual writers did a bit of Consumer research, life would be so much easier.
I've noticed lately that some importers are letting their Asian manufacturers write the documentation, which inevitably desperately needs proofreading, or preferably, re-writing.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:27:36 AM »
UM - Old Steve, they only need to be paired the once, initially if they were not bought as a Dual pack (already paired).

So after turning both on, if EITHER person taps the jog dial it will initiate, or stop, intercom. You should NOT need to pair to each other unless you get a new unit , or want to talk to someone else  :like
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
Or do the software update and zero all settings
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »
Thank you Dale, I don't think we saw that in the manual.

Love the units, great clear comms - do wish we'd bought quieter helmets though, we get a lot of wind noise.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
I wear earplugs Steve - it stops the wind noise through my helmet, and my SMH10's volume goes high enough to comfortably hear music and comms at any speed.

See here:
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=10062.msg1186451#msg1186451

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au