Author Topic: Bill's motorcycles  (Read 4262 times)

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
Bill's motorcycles
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
I rang Bill's Motorcycles today looking for heated grips and was told that they are in receivership and can not order any new merchandise.  They have a couple of weeks left.    I always found them very good for servicing the bike.   The guy I spoke to said that if I needed anything by way of fluids etc for the bike to come in for some good prices.   I plan on going in this week to see what they have left as they have a full range of gear.
Richo

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Bill's motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Well that topic got my attention.

However, it's a sad day when a good company goes broke.  The internet has to bear a fair bit of the blame, offering prices that "bricks & mortar" businesses can't compete with.  I saw just this week a m/c dealer near here has annual rent of $180,000.  An on-line business can operate out of a shipping container they bought for $3000.

One might hope the mechanics at least can keep working somewhere- you can't buy maintenance via your keyboard.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
Well that topic got my attention.

However, it's a sad day when a good company goes broke.  The internet has to bear a fair bit of the blame, offering prices that "bricks & mortar" businesses can't compete with.  I saw just this week a m/c dealer near here has annual rent of $180,000.  An on-line business can operate out of a shipping container they bought for $3000.

One might hope the mechanics at least can keep working somewhere- you can't buy maintenance via your keyboard.

I know the Feeling, the "cost" for us to open the doors of Hip Pocket for 12 months is around $750,000 to $800,000 with, lease, wages, power, and all the bits and pieces to go with.

We get up against internet pricing we simply cannot compete with, and we don't even try, we stick to good solid service and looking after our customer base, and work on loyalty to keep people shopping with us.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

The following users thanked this post: spanner

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »
I went into Bill's this morning and they are in the process of selling all of their heavily discounted floor stock.   They are reducing their stock dramatically and the good  news is they will offer bike servicing if they come out of this in one piece.   I got an excellent deal on a new helmet (that I was not expecting to buy), was given almost 50% off.   If you need anything guys I would suggest get in quick.   
Richo

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
 :'(
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »
Having bought my ride there and riding past the Richmond store on a daily basis thought it looked a little empty yesterday went to have closer look today.  Sure enough it was empty and a lorry pulled up to take away some shop fittings.  A couple of years ago they did tell me they couldn't compete with online sellers for accessories although I always preferred to see something tangible before purchasing anything.  The staff were always friendly and it was being around the corner it was convenient for servicing etc.  Sad news indeed.

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »
The auction of Adelaide based gear is on tomorrow and Wednesday for those interested:

https://www.mgs.net.au/auction/viewauction.html?a=7899
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Watched some of the auction (online) as my boss asked me to bid on some items for him.  Jackets going for $50. Boots $75.   Helmets were going at an average 1/3 to 1/2 of retail.    They are selling the bike workshop tomorrow, complete with tools, spare parts and manuals. It is a shame to see them go out this way as they did a good job on the ST.   THE BUY OF THE DAY tomorrow will be a new 2013 can am spyder tourer.  Currently being listed for 9 thousand. 
Richo

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »
Watched some of the auction (online) as my boss asked me to bid on some items for him.  Jackets going for $50. Boots $75.   Helmets were going at an average 1/3 to 1/2 of retail.    They are selling the bike workshop tomorrow, complete with tools, spare parts and manuals. It is a shame to see them go out this way as they did a good job on the ST.   THE BUY OF THE DAY tomorrow will be a new 2013 can am spyder tourer.  Currently being listed for 9 thousand.

Been to a couple of bike shop liquidation auctions, big items like bikes (and in this case the Spyder) usually go to dealers for trade price, when the general public gets involved retail prices are reached and even exceeded.  Some poor buggers get excited and sucked-in to the event, forget their limit and pay well over retail, then they got to pay for a RWC, rego, other govt. charges - poor buggers.

Keep us posted on this one.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
To say things were flying off the shelves was an understatement.  I think a lot of the buyers were from other shops.  The spyder went for 22 thousand which considering this model went for high thirties to mid forties was a very good deal. 
Richo

Bodø

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
Back to the thread which brought my attention to this very forum.  Some four and a half years on and the website still exists.  It popped up when i did a google search for something else. 

http://www.billsmotorcycles.com.au